Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Problem Solved! My Tao Tao Lancer 150 is driving me crazy. New issue

It ran fine for a about two weeks after the vapor lock issue. Now, it will start sometimes, but keeps dying at idle, then is an SOB to get started if I can start at all. I rode home from work, but had to keep giving it gas or else it would have shut off. I don't know why it's doing this. Plus I also know the battery gets lower and lower when trying to start. The other day my battery level was at 11.01 on the voltmeter. Is it the charging system - stator/regulator again or carb issue? I was going to replace stator, carb and regulator. If is tanks after that I give up.

Please help. It's a monster when it is up and running however. Lot's of speed and nice torque.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Mäwby; 07-14-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #2

Sounds like a carb issue, needs cleaned/adjusted. Your charging issue is another issue altogether I would think.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

Mawby,
I have a Lancer too.
After I had done some minor carb tweaks, I had an issue with mine idling. I had to step up the A/F mixture quite a bit. I have re-jetted mine and added a cone, air filter; my mixture screw is turned out so far that it's almost loose ... I even put a dab of silicone on it to keep it from moving. Some might say this is too far, but it was done to achieve a decent idle. I check my plug for lean/rich and it looks good.
As for the charging issue, I had a problem with mine charging. It would continually loose charge to the point it would be hard to start, then I'd have to put a battery charger on it. I swapped regulators, checked the stator, but nothing seemed to help. I found the problem being wired incorrectly at the R/R. I experimented with jumpers, trying different pin combinations at the R/R, until I had blazing headlights and solid charging V. I now put out about 14v while cruising and haven't had a charger on the bike since Winter.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #4

On the giving it gas at idle. I agree with regard to a carb/jetting/rich lean issue, but look to see if you have the PAIR system set up. I had a similar Roketa and had the same issue. Once I removed the PAIR system and totally simplified the fuel and vacuum lines the problem completely went away. Also, I'd check for a vacuum leak.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #5

Good point, Ebuddy.
I didn't think of the emissions stuff. I had gotten rid of the evaporative system and bypassed the PAIR system (removed later) during the PDI.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #6

Check valve adjustments and compression.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #7

Problem solved. It was a combination of bad stator and I had large tear/vacuum leak in the exhaust manifold hose/pipe which sits above the valve cover. Replaced both and riding like a charm now. Replace voltage regulator with OEM part also, now charging beautifully. :-)