Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Howdy from South Texas!

Hello! I'm new to the group, and I just ordered my TaoTao Eagle 150 from Texas Power Sports, to let them handle the TT&L for me since we are all in Texas. Now, as Tom Petty said, "The way-yay-ting is the hardest part!"

I've ridden bikes for 25+ years, from a 125 up to a VTX 1300 Honda, but only had one scooter before (Vino 125) back several years ago. I've never really wrenched on bikes, but I worked on cars quite a bit in my MUCH younger years, so I'm very excited to get my crate and go thru and put this one together myself.

On that note, I have found a few PDI-DIY videos, but would really appreciate some first-hand experience from those that have gone before me - you know any videos you think may be better than others or just written PDI lists/instructions (links appreciated) to do things right the first time and hopefully end up with a bike that will last. Any "I wish I woulda's" anyone would like to share with me would be great too.

Any and all solid advice is much appreciated and I look forward to first learning, and then later contributing to the community.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Like you, I'm not much of wrench, but I've picked up what I can from watching others YT channels, and from places like this.

Post a pic of your ride.

- Wolf
Old 07-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #3

This is what I ordered. They say it will be here no later than 8/2/19.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TaoTao.JPG (49.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 07-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Nice! Will it come in that color scheme, or was that just a sample photo?

- Wolf
Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #5

I've never had a brand new one but if I did get one. From what I've learned be sure to check the oil and top it off, drive it a bit then change it. Some recommend changing the gear lube also. Go over the wiring carefully and make sure it's tight and secure it with zip ties where needed. After running it a while check the valve clearances... of course the tire pressures. If you can get it 100% gasoline will help keep fuel problems from occurring. Check the vacuum lines, hell check all the lines! Fuel, vacuum, emissions, make sure all the bolts are tight. I really ought to be doing this on my own scooter instead of telling you to do it. You might want to order a spare belt, a good kevlar one. If you do the original will last forever, if you don't ... well you've heard of Murphy's law. If the new scooter doesn't have fuel filter I'd put an inline one in, just to be safe. I guess what it amounts to is start at the front and work your way to the back, check all the critical nuts and bolts and drain plugs to make sure they are tight. Break in ? I never had anything new to break in but there is lots of advice on how to do that, I'd follow what the manual says and be sure to not let it over heat during break in. Enjoy your new scooter, be careful and ride safe. Oh yeah, one more thing, be sure you secure your new scooter. They do get stolen, the engines are popular and a shiny new one would be tempting.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterwolf View Post
Nice! Will it come in that color scheme, or was that just a sample photo?

- Wolf
Yes - That is the color scheme I ordered, you know, since red IS the fastest color!
Old 07-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I've never had a brand new one but if I did get one. From what I've learned be sure to check the oil and top it off, drive it a bit then change it. Some recommend changing the gear lube also. Go over the wiring carefully and make sure it's tight and secure it with zip ties where needed. After running it a while check the valve clearances... of course the tire pressures. If you can get it 100% gasoline will help keep fuel problems from occurring. Check the vacuum lines, hell check all the lines! Fuel, vacuum, emissions, make sure all the bolts are tight. I really ought to be doing this on my own scooter instead of telling you to do it. You might want to order a spare belt, a good kevlar one. If you do the original will last forever, if you don't ... well you've heard of Murphy's law. If the new scooter doesn't have fuel filter I'd put an inline one in, just to be safe. I guess what it amounts to is start at the front and work your way to the back, check all the critical nuts and bolts and drain plugs to make sure they are tight. Break in ? I never had anything new to break in but there is lots of advice on how to do that, I'd follow what the manual says and be sure to not let it over heat during break in. Enjoy your new scooter, be careful and ride safe. Oh yeah, one more thing, be sure you secure your new scooter. They do get stolen, the engines are popular and a shiny new one would be tempting.
Thank you so much. Excellent Advice, all of it!

I just finished watching the 13 part video series on youtube from 90GTVert where he basically takes all the panels off, tears the whole scooter apart and puts it all back together but THIS time with Lock-tite on everything! (I'm a big fan of locktite). Here's a link if you want to check it out

In one of the videos he also drills out all the plugs on the carb and replaces them so it can be adjusted and adds some washers on the needle to richen it up a bit. Then, he shows how to remove the vacuum-operated petcock and replace all fuel lines with good materials & hose clamps, an inline filter, and a manual petcock. All fluids get changed before first crank, and dielectric grease on all electrical connections, plus clear silicone on the connectors to seal out moisture.

From what I've seen, it is the most comprehensive PDI I have found, and I plan to follow his videos to the letter and add from any other PDIs I can find.

As far as getting stolen, I couldn't agree with you more, which is why I plan to use braided cable lock when I can, and those "hoop-style" wheel locks when I cant. Someone, of course, could still take it, but I'll at least make it so they have to work for it!

Thanks again for the note, and I look forward to being a part of the community.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:41 AM   #8

Ok, so 3 days after the "Big Box" arrived, I FINALLY cranked it up today! I followed the 13 part 90GTVert PDI videos step-by-step, did 100% of the suggested mods/upgrades, carb rebuild, valve adjustment, all before cranking it up the first time.

It was kinda scary taking the whole brand-spanking new bike to just a frame and motor, but I managed to get it all back together (thank you masking tape and sharpie marker!) Even found a few missing bolts that I had to buy just to get everything good and tight, and man did I use me some locktite!

Took me several hours to get all the body panels back in place, and then it was off to the gas station to get some ethanol-free go-go-juice.

I guess between crossing my fingers and holding my mouth just right, she fired right up - yay! As I mentioned before, it's been a few decades since I've done any wrenching, but it all worked out.

The only minor problem I encountered was that the speedometer, the gauge cluster was shipped with the needle BELOW the little "peg" that it is supposed to rest on when its at zero, preventing the speedo needle from moving! The instrument cluster is a factory sealed unit with no access that I could find, so I just drilled a small hole, straightened out a paper clip and fished the needle over the peg to the correct position, and plugged the hole with some silicone - problem solved! Works like a champ!

So I only managed to put about 15 miles on it today, but we'll remedy that situation tomorrow lol.

BTW, I took a picture to post, but when I try to post it here, it asks for the url of my picture, which is on my desktop? How does that work? (sorry, I'm new to the forum scene!)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

My TaoTao

Ok, hopefully I did it right this time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mine-Day1.jpg (97.7 KB, 1 views)