Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Question Roketa MC-79 vs. MC-54b? - <Bike Ordered!>

I'm just about to order, but would like to get some opinions and info on the differences between these two models.

I'm looking at a side-by-side comparison on both models directly on the Roketa Website:

http://www.roketa.com/product/2610/0/27312.shtml
http://www.roketa.com/product/2610/0/39674.shtml

As near as I can tell, the biggest differences are:

1. Different fairing/windshield/light design (=)
2. Alarm system on 54b (said to be a problem point) (-, 54b)
3. Nicer trunk on the 54b (+, 54b)
4. Nicer saddle design on the 54b (+, 54b if true)
5. Slightly more power on 79 (+, 79 if accurate)
6. Lighter weight 54b (+, 54b)
7. Backup kick start on 79 (+, 79 if true)
8. Better Aluminum muffler(no rusting) on 79 (+, 79)

Now, a couple of other points:
Looking at pics, I don't see a kick start on pics for either of these bikes. Does the power plant on the 250 CC scooters not have the kick-start function?

Again, from the pics, the 54b and 70 do not have the same CVT unit/shroud assembly. Do these two bikes share the same drive unit? If not, which is the more reliable/easy-to-service mode with readily available parts?

Overall, I prefer the styling of the MC-79 (nicer rims/shroud design, just personal preference), but want to make sure I get the best bike. Pricing on the units is about the same, about $50 more for the 54b. If all I'm getting different is the alarm, then it's not worth it. If the drive units are the same, the next most important features are the comfort (saddle/floorboard) and storage space available for cargo.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please chime in!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by keltex78; 05-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

I've done some Google searching and found a bit of (conflicting) information. A comparison thread indicated that the 54b has the 257cc Yamaha/Linhai motor while the 79 has the 244cc Honda clone. Other postings indicate that this isn't necessarily going to be the case. What are the strong points of the two power plants and which is going to be easiest to service?

Onethread I found indicated that the 54b runs cooler due to the placement of the radiator. As this is NE Texas where it gets above 100 degrees in the summer, that may be a signifcant deciding factor.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

I'd go with the 54B.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

The MC 54B is over 3 mph faster than the 79. (I still can't figure why the 79 is roughly 45 pounds more) However in higher speed traffic the extra weight may not be such a bad thing.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
I still can't figure why the 79 is roughly 45 pounds more
I'm guessing its a misprint/typo.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #6

The saddle on the 79 looks like my reflex saddle I put on my 54B. The 79 saddle with lumbar support will be more comfy.
You might get a 54B, and you might get a 54.. It is a crap shoot. the B have a linhai clone motor, while the regular 54 will have a CFMOTO clone motor.
Linhai clone=Yamaha clone-horizontal cylinder- from 244cc to 257cc. (Mine is a horizontal 244cc, go figure)

CFMOTO clone= Honda clone-Vertical cylinder- 244cc.

You can disconnect the harness to the alarm and it wont hurt a thing, I did on mine.

Personally, I like the styling of the 54 more than the 79.

good luck choosing, and getting the new bike!

Smoak
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

LOL! I just downloaded and printed the 54b owners manual. Now I'm more confused than ever!

Reading and research is making me lean more toward the 54B. I generally like the looks of the front end of the 54b and the back end of the 79. I like the extended aluminum floorboards on the 54, and prefer the handlebar-mounted mirrors over the extended pylons on the 79. I still prefer the wheels on the 79, but they look okay on the 54 except for the red option. I'll probably be going with the blue with silver for my second choice. I want light-colored for high visibility on the road...

The 54 looks like it would have a large front storage compartment, but for some reason, no one ever posts pics of the storage compartments with anything for scale... That's one of the features I'm most curious about...

Front glove compartment storage
Underseat storage
Rear trunk storage

Can a standard-sized laptop generally be fit into the trunk on one of these?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterwayne View Post
I'm guessing its a misprint/typo.
Could be. On a video I saw on youtube a Znen scoot (that was about $500 less than mine) and supposedly outweighed it by 40 or so pounds, had a single tube running to the forks, while mine has a four tube box frame running to the same spot. (what is wrong with this picture?)

Last edited by spandi; 05-13-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltex78 View Post
LOL! I just downloaded and printed the 54b owners manual. Now I'm more confused than ever!

Reading and research is making me lean more toward the 54B. I generally like the looks of the front end of the 54b and the back end of the 79. I like the extended aluminum floorboards on the 54, and prefer the handlebar-mounted mirrors over the extended pylons on the 79. I still prefer the wheels on the 79, but they look okay on the 54 except for the red option. I'll probably be going with the blue with silver for my second choice. I want light-colored for high visibility on the road...

The 54 looks like it would have a large front storage compartment, but for some reason, no one ever posts pics of the storage compartments with anything for scale... That's one of the features I'm most curious about...

Front glove compartment storage
Underseat storage
Rear trunk storage

The front glove box on the MC45-250 B will hold about three packs of cigarettes stacked per side. That's it. I have trouble cramming my ball cap in there and getting the door shut.

If you get the MC%$ with the linhai motor in it you will be able to fit a half helmet under the seat, no more. the under seat is shallow with the linhai motor. you will be able to fit a laptop under there. A full size helmet or a laptop could fit in trunk storage, but the trunks are rattle traps, and I took mine off immediately after getting it home.

I am told the cfmoto clone engine MC54's have more storage space under the seat, but I do not know for certain.

Hope that helps.
I would take pictures for you, but ALL my body panels including the under seat bucket happen to be off my bike ATM.

Smoak.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Rear trunk storage

Yes it can with no problems. I'll try to take a pic of mine tomorrow.

Last edited by Guest_3; 05-14-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #11

Snooz Bike ordered...

Well, I finally made the plunge and ordered my bike. After extensive reading and pondering, I chose the Roketa MC-54b. First choice of blue, with second being silver. I hope they ship the blue. This was after a thourough reading through all 14 pages of earlwb's Roketa experiences thread on the old ScootDawg site:

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index...cc&thread=7135

His pics make the bike look a lot bigger than I would have thought. I'm 6' and ~180lbs, so I don't think this bike will have any trouble running me around. Just waiting for the slow boat to arrive with my giant crate o' bikey awesomeness. Free gloves FTW!

Now to scheduling my state-mandated motorcycle safety class. There is only one local place offering the class, and since there's no competition, they charge the maximum state-allowed price. Class sizes are limited and book fast, so it will be June before I can get through that. Also, going to be looking for a local shop to select a helmet (full-face). Going to Academy tonight to pick up a pair of boots for riding; I have a gift card I received as a B-Day gift this spring to put toward those.

I've been reading the full PDI process and will need to purchase fresh fluids in advance. I'll need to start getting a stash of parts together for repairs. I've got a shop building with plenty of tools (inlcuding the Harbor Freight electric torque wrench) and know-how to start digging into it as soon as it's delivered. I think I want to make the switch over to the K&N filter EarlWB described in his thread.

I have a mechanic friend with a full shop; I'll check with him next time I see him to see if he has the setup to replace a motorcycle tire so I can swap valve stems which are said to be a problem on this bike. If I'm already breaking it down, I may just go ahead and replace the rear tire with a better quality one.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #12

Looks like you're off to a fling start! (keep us posted)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #13

I just registered for the basic rider safety course: Two 8-hour days, June 8-9. Not getting much rest that weekend. I'll have to wake up and get rolling a lot earlier than I'm used to, the class starts at 7:30 and I've got a bit of a drive to get to the location.

I picked up a pair of boots at Academy last night; I'll be shopping for a helmet next. I need to pick up a suitable long-sleeved shirt for the class. I'll probably just hit up Goodwill or a thrift store for a used denim shirt. I never wear long sleeves, even in winter. I'll need gloves too...

The course requires me to bring eye protection? Does a helmet visor count, can I wear sunglasses, or would I need ANSI safety glasses?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #14

Well, I registered online for the Basic Motorcycle Rider Safety Course from the only local place offering the course. I registered for the class at the Longview location for the second weekend of June. I got my reservation confirmation, but they scheduled me for the Tyler location instead! I emailed back and they haven't responded, so I've tried calling, but the call just goes to an answering machine referring me back to the website.

I hope they get this straightened out soon...
Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #15

Hang in there, it's worth the aggravation to learn what you have to, to keep yourself safe.