Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 02-23-2024, 11:15 PM   #1

WTF Carb clean/ Idle issue Buddy 50

hi all, this is my first post

I have a 2006 buddy 50 cc that was dormant for a year. I recently tried to ride it and was having issues with it staying running. It would start with no problems with the electric start but when I would open the throttle, it would die out. Eventually, it would no longer start. I assumed it was old gas so I filled up the tank the rest of the way with new gas, but it still wouldnt start.

I cleaned the carburetor and made sure the Jets were clear now it will start, but only with full throttle, and sounds like a lawnmower, blows white smoke, and dies when the throttle is released. The air filter is crumbling and needs replaced. Is this caused by the air filter or could this be something else? is it possible that I messed something up in the carburetor while cleaning it? Or does anyone know what could be happening?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-24-2024, 05:14 PM   #2

Get a new air filter first just to rule that out.

When you said you cleaned the carb what method did you use? I pull all the jets (idle, slide and main) and soak everything in an ultra-sonic cleaner with distilled water and a few drops of Dawn dish soap. I had to rebuild a pink Buddy 50 carb awhile ago and it was hard to get the jets truly clean without shoving wire into the holes (don't shove wire in jets to clean them). A good soak in the ultra-sonic did the trick.

Finally, is the spark plug gap clear? I doubt that's the issue as it will usually be hard to start if the end is clogged.

You missed out. I recently gave away a bunch of tune-up stuff for a Buddy 50. I used to help someone keep one running but I got tired of wasting my time on weekends and not seeing the person I helped make any effort getting ahead.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangermcfriendly View Post
hi all, this is my first post

I have a 2006 buddy 50 cc that was dormant for a year. I recently tried to ride it and was having issues with it staying running. It would start with no problems with the electric start but when I would open the throttle, it would die out. Eventually, it would no longer start. I assumed it was old gas so I filled up the tank the rest of the way with new gas, but it still wouldnt start.

I cleaned the carburetor and made sure the Jets were clear now it will start, but only with full throttle, and sounds like a lawnmower, blows white smoke, and dies when the throttle is released. The air filter is crumbling and needs replaced. Is this caused by the air filter or could this be something else? is it possible that I messed something up in the carburetor while cleaning it? Or does anyone know what could be happening?
When You put the carb back on, a trick I use to get the gas flowing prior to start is to remove the vacuum hose from the intake manifold that leads to the fuel pump, and give it a couple pulsating pulls with my mouth to fill the carb bowl.(Assuming you have gravity fed system)
I've always had issues getting bikes to start after removing the carb without doing this prior.

Drain your tank to about a quarter and add some "Seafoam" to the tank and run that out. Could be crap in the gas tank. Always do this prior to storage 1month or longer but leaving a little of the mixture instead of running it dry.
The white smoke indicates a burned liquid. Blue-ish white is oil.
Severe "lean" or "rich" conditions will also cause white smoke.
Although a rich condition is commonly associated with a dark colored smoke, I have experienced white before.

You mentioned your airbox is wrecked. This will indeed cause the running condition you described. There is no ECU to add extra gas to the mixture for extra air being allowed. The bike will run like trash(lean). The air pressure/ flow rate will be altered from what the carb was tuned to.
Replace/repair the airbox would be your first go
In a crunch you could adjust the carb accordingly, but you risk a clogged carb,like you just had to clean.
If you choose to repair the box, use some type of water proof silicon gasket maker. Cheap/easily obtainable and will hold decently up until you can fully replace the box.
I HAVE NEVER HAD LUCK WITH ANY AIRBOX, BUT STOCK FOR UNMODDIFIED 139QMB ENGINES. If you do choose aftermarket, be prepared to fully re-tune and re-jet carb.
Try unplugging the carb's auto-choke before starting to see it runs better. This will allow a constant supply of extra gas, as the lack of electricity won't allow the auto choke to stop the extra gas.

Have you checked or changed the oil recently? The engines tend to collect moisture when stored outside.

Random question, but when was the last time the valves were adjusted?
They commonly and frequently go out of spec making the bike sensitive to any air/fuel/spark changes.
.003 Intake and .004 Exhaust for stock engine. .004 Intake and .005 exhaust for 50mm+ big bore kit.

Wouldn't hurt to slap a new NGK A7TC spark plug that you gapped appropriately on. In my experience that specific plug performs the best. Don't get anything but that specific plug. Or do...
Did I mention to make sure it is properly gapped?

Don't freak out about damaging the carb. That is hard to do. The fact you at least got it started means you're making progress. You should be proud of yourself. You wouldn't have attempted to clean it if you weren't confident that you could successfully complete the task.

Sounds like you just need an air-box and a simple "tune-up".

Even if you get it running. Adjust your valves! These things come out the box with overly tightened valves. Can seem very intimidating to tackle but is super easy to complete and immediately rewarding.

UPDATE:

So I realized I wasn't paying the best of attention before writing that. That was for the 139qmb 4 stroke. Not the 2 stroke you have
Hopefully that info helps someone else who comes across it. lmfao

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by jjoshua20213; 03-26-2024 at 01:59 PM.

Tags
50cc, buddy, carburator, idle problem, mechanic