Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

Calibrate speedometer

I have 2009 CF MOTO GLORY EFI scooter and the speedometer reads faster than going. Can I calibrate it so it's accurate?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

Mine does the same thing....maybe it's a CFMOTO thing. I just compensate, no biggy.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #3

All Chinese and Taiwanese scooters seem to have optimistic speedometers. I don't think there is much you can do about it short of buying an aftermarket speedo.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

I posted my opinion on this elsewhere...another forum, but wanted to add, it's not just Chinese rides. I have 2, turn of the century model BMW's, both read 5 mph faster than actual speed, yet both odometers are accurate.

On my scooter, I went from the original 120/70-12 tire, to a pair of 110/90-12's. This taller tire corrected the odometer error, but the speedo is still 4 to 5 mph optimistic.

My Russian made Ural, is just the opposite.....speedo is right on.....odometer lags 7.5% behind actual distance traveled.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

Generally speaking, on a cheapo scooter you have a mechanical speedometer, where the needle position is based off of a spinning cable.

These types of speedometers are built to a specific tire size and speedometer ring, and generally can't be calibrated. Wherever they are when they leave the manufacturer, is where they'll be. They are susceptible to changes in temperature, too.

On a more ... expensive bike, especially the ones equipped with ABS, the speedometer (as well as ABS) is derived from the tone wheel attached to the front wheel; this is an entirely electric system, with a variable reluctance sensor placed near the tone wheel, which feeds into the ABS unit (and the ABS unit subsequently provides electronic pulses to whatever is controlling the speedometer, typically the ECM). These bikes are pretty close to spot on, as the only thing that requires calibration is the ECM / speedometer pair, which is typically done by the manufacturer before the bike leaves the assembly plant, AND the manufacturer has impetus (brand name protection) to actually have the calibration done.

I've had a Kymco Xciting 500 ABS, which @ 70mph GPS was showing 72mph (3% error). I also own a Honda Forza ABS, which @ 71mph GPS shows 70mph (1.5% error). These were worst case readings over a variety of speeds.

None of the scooters with mechanical speedometers I've ever owned have ever had a worst case error of <11%. You generally need to mount a GPS to the bike and learn how far off the speedometer is from the real speed. I honestly can't blame them for not allowing user calibration, you can bet there would be schmucks who would screw around with it before selling the bike.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #6

just wait til more stuff breaks, then you wont be worrying about such trivial stuff anymore