Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > Custom Builds

Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

Build thread for Codename: Ugly Duckling/Blue Flame

Hey guys! As the title states, this will serve as my build thread for my most recent custom build. First, a story:
Many years ago, I was offered the opportunity to buy this:

A then-just-barely running Honda Met, for the going price of the front frame/title. I had a bunch of GY6 parts sitting around at that point, and jumped at the idea of getting a second GY6 swap on the road. Over the course of the next few months, my fiancee Nicole and I slowly compiled a parts list of everything we would still need to turn the Ugly Duckling into what would become the Blue Flame.
Next summer, I went to work ordering the parts we needed and working on assembling the bike as it would ultimately sit (I thought):

And the day I put all the parts together:
This was far from the end of the build, as fate would have it. I got the plastics painted with some high end model paint with nice metallic flakes in it, and color matched the frame as best I could with plasti-dip because the model paint was only good for the plastics. Overall, I was not nearly as worried about the finer points of the aesthetics, so much as the visually striking stance and chrome accents to give the bike a rat-rod sort of look.

Anyway, one day I was riding around testing my recently completed and painted bike when I hit a bunch of headwind and was swept into a pothole and sheared off my rear shock mount:

and royally screwed my exhaust as well:
It sacrificed itself to save my motor, which turned out to not really matter as I used the downtime to get the motor built with quality, performance parts that hopefully will last (TY David Bullock, awesome job):

This is the blue flame as she currently sits, EFI and all:

Thanks for reading my build thread, dawgs! Much appreciated, hope you enjoyed it and if you want to know anything about the bike, the parts I used, or anything else feel free to ask!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by stevotivo12; 06-23-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #2

I really like how those things look lowered and stretched. Ol boy up the road has a blown up one but he thinks it's worth it's weight in gold and determined to get it or let it rust away. Just sits behind his house in the weather getting worse by the year.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #3

Wow. Those Metros look really good with some body work mods. I have seen some Metros with the long case CVT too.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Wow. Those Metros look really good with some body work mods. I have seen some Metros with the long case CVT too.
Thanks! Yeah I really like the way this bike came out myself, its a blast to ride. Helps that its the fastest scooter Ive built yet but I just have lots of fun watching people be shocked by the looks of it and then the fact that it can beat a lot of cars off the line
Old 07-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
I really like how those things look lowered and stretched. Ol boy up the road has a blown up one but he thinks it's worth it's weight in gold and determined to get it or let it rust away. Just sits behind his house in the weather getting worse by the year.
That was essentially the same story with this bike! Dude had it for years and it sat in his backyard and collected spiders and rainwater. I finally offered him the value of the frame because he was cleaning out his shed and he took me up on it! Ended up selling the motor after I got it running and the wheels, OE shocks, and built the frame up from there. I think at some point I'm gonna have to put some new plastics on it because theyre pretty much falling apart but she runs great at this point at least!