Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Pissed gy6 50cc cvt cover limiting speed why?

Well to make a long story short i just finished a 100cc big bore on my girls scoot as i have done to lots of scooters. here is my issue and i puzzled. her scoot used to go 40-42 with stock 50cc. I did the 100cc kit and she hits 35-38 mph before hitting the limiter and she was running a ncy cdi. i now tried 3 cdi / carb / coil / fuel filter and now i was left only with a possible cvt system issue. i installed 8g rollers like always and i used the same gates belt she had in there. i have found if i remove the cvt and run the motor out it screams and never hits the limiter. soon as i re install the cvt cover it will rev out half the rpms and hits the limiter. i used a different cvt cover off another bike and im getting the same issue. what the heck lol. anyone have this issue before? Thanks Josh

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by extremepowdercoaters; 04-24-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

what jets where being used?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

and 8 gram is a little heavy for that, The engine might not be able to wrap out with that heavy of rollers, depending on her weight try a 5.5 or 6g. Even on my nitrous race scoot im running 7g and it barely wraps out with 8 hp

Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

Hi
For those seriously into modding 50 cc 4 strokes a roller tuning kit is vital
http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-ro...p#.U2AKW3nD9Vs
Ive had and modded 3 4t 50s recently including my latest Tao Tao and found the kit to be invaulable
Use the kit to find your proper weight for your performance needs and then get a set of quality roller or sliders as the tuning ones are not for every day use only dialing them in
I like sliders for my scoots and get them one gram heavier then what a roller would be
Better acceleration and a higher top end then with rollers also
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsscooters View Post
and 8 gram is a little heavy for that, The engine might not be able to wrap out with that heavy of rollers, depending on her weight try a 5.5 or 6g. Even on my nitrous race scoot im running 7g and it barely wraps out with 8 hp
ok when i got the 100cc kit it came with 8g rollers. weight 150. i found that the belt was slipping slowing her down. now shes goes about 45 to 50 mph. think i should still lower the weights?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirYes View Post
what jets where being used?
on a wide band we tuned it safe at i think it was an 83 jet on the 100cc kit with an A9 cam.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

Check the rear of your variator, some have shield/ covers on them and it doesn't allow the vari to close all the way. Try without shield/ cover and hope thatz the prob.