Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to erictheviking666
Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport View Post
For example here is a 110cc no ped available with a 4 speed transmission. Also available in a 49cc.

That is definitely what I would call a small displacement motorcycle. They are everywhere is Asia but kinda rare here in the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi Warren
Thats not the case in my home state we go by BHP not the displacement size of the engine and have no speed restrictions on 50 cc machines as well
and there may be others as well im sure so that can change depending on the state you live in
My title that came with both my Puma and Aprilia do list them as motorcycles though
So its a grey area, thats why when talking to the general public i call them motorbikes no matter the size or style
Its only when im here or in the company of fellow riders such as the members here that i try to get into specifics
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Here in Florida it's by engine size and/or speed. Anything over 50cc's is a motorcycle by their definition no matter if it has pedals (like a true moped) or manual shift. But also once you go over 30mph or the BHP (not sure what that is currently) they consider it a motorcycle as well, no matter the displacement or transmission.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #32

I have an electric scooter with the motor in the middle of the rear wheel. This stretches the definition of motor location. When I went to register it they kept asking how many cc's. I tell them it is electric and doesn't have any cc's. I told them it has to be registered as a motorcycle as it has a top speed of 60mph. It is registered as a motorcycle but looks like a scooter.

Sometimes Harley riders call their bikes scooters. We're just one big happy family of riders.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheviking666 View Post
That is definitely what I would call a small displacement motorcycle. They are everywhere is Asia but kinda rare here in the states..

I agree it is a small displacement motorcycle. For my money it is the foot pegs that makes it a bike rather than a scooter. Scooters have a floor board.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #34

Hi
So what would you consider calling my daughters revival st?
Has a 70 cc engine with 17 inch wheel and tires, 2 speed transmission with chain drive and pedals

TomosRevival-L by inuyasha50, on Flickr
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheviking666 View Post
That is definitely what I would call a small displacement motorcycle. They are everywhere is Asia but kinda rare here in the states.

Here in Florida it's by engine size and/or speed. Anything over 50cc's is a motorcycle by their definition no matter if it has pedals (like a true moped) or manual shift.
Like I said before,
That is not true.
You need a motorcycle endorsement for anything above 50cc's, however that does not make those bikes motorcycles.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Hi
Has a 70 cc engine with 17 inch wheel and tires, 2 speed transmission with chain drive and pedals

Yours Hank
That is about as mixed up as it gets. It is hard to ignore the fact that it has pedals so how could one not call it a moped?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Hi

Yours Hank
Although it's one gray area bike, I'd call it a motorcycle....

As far as electric scooters, if they go less than 20MPH (30MPH in some states), and have less than 1BHP (750W) it is considered a moped, not a scooter nor motorcycle.
Yours would most likely fall into the category of a motorcycle; however, that's a gray area within a gray area.
If there's no cc's, then they look at BHP.
For a 3000W motor, it is rated a 4BHP bike, or compares to an 8BHP 4 stroke engine; which would be close to the performance of a 150cc engine.
a 4000W engine compares to a 200cc engine. and 5000W to a 250cc
Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
...As far as electric scooters, if they go less than 20MPH (30MPH in some states), and have less than 1BHP (750W) it is considered a moped, not a scooter nor motorcycle.
Yours would most likely fall into the category of a motorcycle; however, that's a gray area within a gray area.
If there's no cc's, then they look at BHP.
For a 3000W motor, it is rated a 4BHP bike, or compares to an 8BHP 4 stroke engine; which would be close to the performance of a 150cc engine.
a 4000W engine compares to a 200cc engine. and 5000W to a 250cc
Frankly that is made up state by state stuff. If a 2 wheeler has a floor board and a 49cc engine...its a scooter. The states incorrectly use the term "moped".
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #39

Just FYI, there are scoots with floorboards, but pedals as well. They fall under the category of mopeds (if their top speed is below 20-30MPH, and they have less than 2BHP).
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #40

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
Just FYI, there are scoots with floorboards, but pedals as well. They fall under the category of mopeds (if their top speed is below 20-30MPH, and they have less than 2BHP).
Nothing is true on the internet unless there is a photo.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Hi

Yours Hank
That is in a class by itself. Every rule has exceptions.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #42

It has pedals. Does that not automatically make it a moped? Motor - Pedal = Moped right?

The weird Tomos example has some styling details that make it look like motorcycle or a scooter but at the heart of it is a moped drive train. For example: if you remove the cruiser rear fender crash bar and gas tank and remove the "scooter" seat, are we not left with a moped?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #43

I'd like a shifty scooter, at least to try. I know motorcycle dudes who look down on scooters as if "you only get a scooter if you want an automatic" but thats not true, and there have been a few automatic motorcycles too.

In June 2012, at Amerivespa in Lake Geneva, WI, I saw Lambrettas and Stellas and Vespas that were shifty. I didn't get to ride one.

Hows this for a shifty?
http://traveling250.files.wordpress....2945.jpg?w=640
Cushman with 450 Honda I believe.

I was thinking about building one myself with maybe a Ninja 250 motor in my Xingyue.
Then I came across this
http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/vi...655256894bf3c3
a video

I donno how many ponies in an RD350 2T, but then WHO CARES!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #44

If the goal is to go really fast then why not buy a motorcycle? To each his own of course but I am not interested in going 60 mph on small scooter wheels.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsteve92xj View Post
I'd like a shifty scooter, at least to try. I know motorcycle dudes who look down on scooters as if "you only get a scooter if you want an automatic" but thats not true, and there have been a few automatic motorcycles too.

In June 2012, at Amerivespa in Lake Geneva, WI, I saw Lambrettas and Stellas and Vespas that were shifty. I didn't get to ride one.

Hows this for a shifty?
http://traveling250.files.wordpress....2945.jpg?w=640
Cushman with 450 Honda I believe.

I was thinking about building one myself with maybe a Ninja 250 motor in my Xingyue.
Then I came across this
http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/vi...655256894bf3c3
a video

I donno how many ponies in an RD350 2T, but then WHO CARES!
Hi
Try this one on for size

Yours Hank