Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport View Post
So how about this Honda Passport then? One sits on this vehicle rather than straddle.

Hi
I consider it a scoot and a very beautiful and highly prized one at that
Would absolutely love to have one myself
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours hank

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #17

But the Passport has a frame mounted engine and no floorboard but rather has foot pegs. I believe it is considered a motorcycle. But we do agree they are cool.

Last edited by duosport; 02-04-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
But the Passport has a frame mounted engine and no floorbord but rather has foot pegs. I believe it is considered a motorcycle. But we do agree they are cool.
Hi
As i said in my first post in this thread i consider them all as motorbikes and love them all
Doesnt matter to me one bit what others may label them as whats in a name anyways?
Yours Hank

Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi
As i said in my first post in this thread i consider them all as motorbikes and love them all
Doesnt matter to me one bit what others may label them as whats in a name anyways?
Yours Hank
Well sure as I do. But the OP wants to name scooters with gears so defining what is and is not a scooter is neccessary in order to add to the list. How about the Honda Express? I define it as a "no ped" That is a moped without pedals. The Express II has a two speed automatic transmission.

Scooter?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Well sure as I do. But the OP wants to name scooters with gears so defining what is and is not a scooter is neccessary in order to add to the list. How about the Honda Express? I define it as a "no ped" That is a moped without pedals. The Express II has a two speed automatic transmission.

Scooter?

Hi
Thats a tough call to make
I like your term No ped for that one as it really doesnt have a step through frame
It reminds me of some of tomos models like the steetmate streetmate r and the LX to name a few which incorporate various different styles in one bike
Yours Hank

Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #21

The fact that some older vespa models had manual gears, proves that scooters can have manual gears.

Although I probably prefer a motorcycle style of gear mechanism, but one on the handlebars is not bad either.

Just to get away from the oh-so-common CVT.
I've seen the performance of this bike:

and athough the bike was based on the CF MOTO 244cc engine (or I could be wrong, the website calls it a 227cc engine), with 5 manual gears, it completely blew the BMS TXB 260 (with fuel injection) and CVT, out of the water; ( in acceleration that is; in top speed, the BMS was faster); despite the BMS having a better engine (based on the Linhai 256cc and fuel injection).

BTW, there's no better example of a scooter, than the Suzuki Burgman. It's a scooter, despite of having some small part of the engine (cylinder) inbetween the legs (has a horizontal placed cylinder).
The BMS260 is based on that Burgman.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #22

I think that the early scooters all had either one speed or a manual transmission. Also common with all early scooters is small wheels, that is to me the main thing that is different in a scooter and a motorcycle. I know a lot of people that think I am crazy when I say that though.

In California, the States calls them all motorcycles if they are over 49cc.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by medman1952 View Post
I think that the early scooters all had either one speed or a manual transmission. Also common with all early scooters is small wheels, that is to me the main thing that is different in a scooter and a motorcycle. I know a lot of people that think I am crazy when I say that though.

In California, the States calls them all motorcycles if they are over 49cc.
I kind of think how the states define it is not relevent to it because California for example would call a 150 scooter a motorcycle when clearly we would define it as a scooter. The states are just trying to figure out how to make money and regulate.

Seems there are several subdivisions of small scooter and "scooter like" bikes that have some sort of gearing, that the OP might be interested in. There are several bikes in the "no ped" catagory that fill this bill. These are moped styled bikes without the pedals and I know there is a chinese no ped with a chain drive and gearing that was imported by Wildfire and I think is currently still around.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #24

For licensing purposes anything over 50cc and 30 or so mph are motorcycles. Motor placement is one more way to tell a scooter from a cycle. Scooters, including the Burgman have the engine under the seat. Cycles have the motor between your knees or legs. This distinction makes the Passport a cycle, as well as the chain drive and large wheels. I had an Express and it was called a no-ped because it was designed to meet the moped designation but without pedals. This evolved into the scooters being classed as mopeds if they met the requirements.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #25

For example here is a 110cc no ped available with a 4 speed transmission. Also available in a 49cc.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenS View Post
For licensing purposes anything over 50cc and 30 or so mph are motorcycles. ..
In reality all things including 50cc are motorcycles. A scooter is a sub class of motorcycle. I think the state definitions are not correct because there are tons of 150cc scooters out there that you and everybody else will definitely call a scooter. States just want to regulate for the purpose of making money. 50cc scooters and mopeds are a hindererance to their money making schemes and they are doing their darnedest to get their greedy mitts on those too.

The original poster might give more info about how many CC's they would like thier "scooter" to be. That might help us help them.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #27

Quote:
For licensing purposes anything over 50cc and 30 or so mph are motorcycles.
Hi Warren
Thats not the case in my home state we go by BHP not the displacement size of the engine and have no speed restrictions on 50 cc machines as well
and there may be others as well im sure so that can change depending on the state you live in
My title that came with both my Puma and Aprilia do list them as motorcycles though
So its a grey area, thats why when talking to the general public i call them motorbikes no matter the size or style
Its only when im here or in the company of fellow riders such as the members here that i try to get into specifics
Yours Hank
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #28

Quote:
For licensing purposes anything over 50cc and 30 or so mph are motorcycles. Motor placement is one more way to tell a scooter from a cycle. Scooters, including the Burgman have the engine under the seat. Cycles have the motor between your knees or legs. This distinction makes the Passport a cycle, as well as the chain drive and large wheels. I had an Express and it was called a no-ped because it was designed to meet the moped designation but without pedals. This evolved into the scooters being classed as mopeds if they met the requirements.
The way I see it, for anything above 50cc you need a Motorcycle Endorsement, however the 2 wheeler not necessarily is a motorcycle.

We used to have a lot of these (what we call scooters) in Belgium in the eighties and nineties:

We called it a DAX, because above is based on the first european company DAX to release bikes with little wheels, and minimalistic looks.
They usually would come in 50cc 75cc, 100cc, or 125cc. Occasionally someone would have a 150cc, but not in the nineties.
We'd call it a scooter, eventhough many websites call this a motorcycle.

I understand there's a difference between legally defining the thing, and what the thing is in the street language.

In the nineties, usually anything with a small engine (sub 150cc) was called a scooter.
Then they started having Honda CBR 125 and 150cc, which where seen as a motorcycle. Heck, they even had a 50cc CBR clone; which was also seen as a motorcycle.
And then, in the 2000's when Suzuki got their burgmans, with 400, and 650cc, it's seen as a scooter.
So I suppose scooter had more to do with layout than cc's, or power.

Fact that those machines just happened, and never got universally defined, causes many to use different naming for the same bike.

On the motorcycle forum, some older gents, call their 250cc motorcycles, scoots, because it's nothing compared to a 650cc, or a 2200cc motorcycle.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #29

I think most people here would call that a mini bike or a mini trail bike.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #30

yeah, it's just a bit larger than a pocket bike, which is yet another category of motorcycle.