Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 02-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

I would, but it's a sealed unit... no screws. I'm just waiting on USPS to deliver it (about $3-$4 on Amazon). I managed to get a good look inside the fuel tank, and there's some of the black specks down in the bottom. The microfilter seems to do a fair job of catching them, so my plan is to see if I can get a two-stage fuel filter system to work -- running through the microfilter and then the regular filter. Dismounting the tank to clean it looks like too much hassle unless there's no alternative.
(more for the future)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #17

One of the things included in the PDI that I performed before starting my scooter, was to remove fuel tank and fuel gauge sender, so I could blow the tank out, using an air gun and my compressor....just to make sure that there was nothing left in it from the manufacturing process.

It does take a little time to do this type of stuff....but having a trouble free, dependable scooter, for the past three years (and counting), makes it time well spent.

I might suggest you find a place in your area that sells non ethanol gas. If used on a regular basis, you will experience fewer, fuel delivery problems, than those that burn the corn blended gas.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #18

From the looks of this one, I might have to remove most of the plastics to get to it... but I think you're right. The other option I was looking at was using a siphon to try to suck out the debris, then dispose of the gas that came out with it.

Also, I disassembled and cleaned the carb (again) and found the smaller of the two jets was clogged. This (I think) is why it would start and then run for 30 sec before dying.
(more for the future)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #19

UPDATE: I put the two-stage filter together with a bypass on the petcock, and was able to start and run around the neighborhood last night. Once the replacement parts get here, I'll be able to do a permanent fix.

In the mean time, I think I'm back to my original issue. When I test-started it on the center stand this morning, I was getting excessive smoke out of it. I checked the oil, and it was actually pushing back out of the filling point. Now when I originally drained the oil (it had gas in it), I only got about half a quart of fluid. I suspect that something was going on that prevented the rest of the oil from draining. I'm going to change the oil again this afternoon. Does anyone have any further insight on what might cause this?

Also, I bought this used from someone who was trying to do their own maintenance and apparently did some epic fails... anything and everything is suspect.
(more for the future)

Last edited by tcthomp66; 02-20-2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: further explanation added