Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #1

"Iridium?"

What is" Iridium" as in an Iridium Spark Plug? Irish
P.S. It's amazing just how many things have changed over the past 30/40 yrs!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

Iridium is just a type of metal. Since it's harder than the copper (or whatever) that makes up the electrode of a standard spark plug, it can be refined into a finer point with no degradation in longevity. In theory this will give you a better spark. Some people swear by them. We have found them to hold up better in our racing applications over a standard plug in the real world, so they aren't all just hype.

Matt
Old 10-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugaziiv View Post
Iridium is just a type of metal. Since it's harder than the copper (or whatever) that makes up the electrode of a standard spark plug, it can be refined into a finer point with no degradation in longevity. In theory this will give you a better spark. Some people swear by them. We have found them to hold up better in our racing applications over a standard plug in the real world, so they aren't all just hype.

Matt
Irish

Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #4

Exclamation Iridium

Justification! It's so they can justify charging you 10X what a sparkplug is really worth!! Buy the $2 spark plug and lose 10#, you'll see the same increase in power on a china scoot.
1980 Vespa Ciao
1967 Sears Allstate
Do I continue?

"Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose." Janis Joplin 1943-1970
Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

Hey Irish, have you checked the Harley Forums, for what others with your engine use?

This is what I did, (but I went to BMW Forum) and found several recommendations for an Autolite 3923 plug, for my particular bike. This was a little more than 2 years ago, a two pack was $3.21 at Wallyworld. Still work fine, but I have only put 6,500 miles on them, so no big surprize.

My scooter is still running the standard NGK that came in it. I have suffered no power loss, or decrease in fuel mileage, yet.....8,300 miles.

Some swear by iridium, or the Split Fire (that was a big thing a while back), I've just never seen the need. Probably a generational thing.....you know....the old dog, and new tricks, kinda deal.