Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to NickDH
Free Performance Upgrades?

Hi!
I own a 2008 Roketa Maui and was curious, what other free performance mods can I do on it, other than of course moving the washer on the diaphgram needle? (done already, improved acceleration a LOT)
I don't think my scooter is restricted, and if it is, it's in the CDI box.
I don't have much money to spare for the mods, as I've had several broken parts (tire cut through the brake line, front brake no longer works) and have already spent my money on those parts.
Is there anything else I can adjust that wouldn't put too much stress on the engine?
Thanks!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

First off, 'restrictors" and "governors" are fiction. Some bikes in the 1970's had them, but they are long gone.

Moving the needle washer makes DRASTIC adjustments to your a/f ratio, so please do a plug chop and make sure your power gain is not running extra lean, as lean condition often is seen as a big jump in acceleration.

There aren't and 'free performance upgrades' this is more urban legend. A gy6 is very CHEAPLY upgraded, but there is nothing you can do to the stock parts to make it better.

Fix your darn brakes man! Are you crazy? You are gonna kill yourself of someone else! 90% of braking on a scooter is done with the front brakes, your rears are NOT designed to stop the bike!

Lastly buck up and bite the bullet and spend the VERY LITTLE money it costs to upgrade your bike. Full upgrades only cost about 300 TOTAL.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to NickDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
First off, 'restrictors" and "governors" are fiction. Some bikes in the 1970's had them, but they are long gone.

Moving the needle washer makes DRASTIC adjustments to your a/f ratio, so please do a plug chop and make sure your power gain is not running extra lean, as lean condition often is seen as a big jump in acceleration.

There aren't and 'free performance upgrades' this is more urban legend. A gy6 is very CHEAPLY upgraded, but there is nothing you can do to the stock parts to make it better.

Fix your darn brakes man! Are you crazy? You are gonna kill yourself of someone else! 90% of braking on a scooter is done with the front brakes, your rears are NOT designed to stop the bike!

Lastly buck up and bite the bullet and spend the VERY LITTLE money it costs to upgrade your bike. Full upgrades only cost about 300 TOTAL.
Alrighty, no need to go off on anyone.
The brakes are being worked on today. I've been trying to get the broken speedo cable out while in there.
That's kinda what I thought. I suppose I should start saving, and deal with stock for a while.
Thanks!
Speaker System
Accessory Outlet added

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

A couple things to do that are free. Or very low cost.

Adjust the valves. Remove the smog junk. Spend a little money on a name brand spark plug. Get a gates or bando CVT belt.

These things may not increase power but they will actually make the engine reliable.

Other performance mods, get lighter variator rollers.

All told when you get your engine running most reliably you'd swear you added power, it's just that you pretty much got the engine in a proper tune which is what the power should be.