Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #1

Buying my first Moped(150cc)

So, I've finally decided to commit to saving some money up for a moped last month, and am just about ready to make my purchase. I am on a budget however- and this humble fish monger does not have much money to toss around at the moment..
I've done some research on the subject, and I have decided to go for a Chinese brand. I am more than willing to get my hands dirtier than they already are, and I believe it will be a good learning experience. However I'm not even sure where to begin. There are so many sellers, I don't know jack about maintenance, or what anything does. Now for assembly some YouTube videos and instructions will do me fine, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to the basic of learning how a bike works.

I've been looking at some TaoTao models. Some people swear by them. "With good care, and if you don't mind tinkering, they will serve you well" is what I hear a lot, and on the other hand the negativity regarding them is astounding. The one thing though that both sides mention(even sellers!) is that some parts/oil are to be replaced soon as the bike arrives.
I don't mind this. but can I use higher quality parts that a Vespa for example would use? Is it possible for Japanese, Korean, Chinese and European parts to be used with one another? I'm aware that for the most part that nearly all components, even the big name brand scoots ,are made in China or Taiwan so that leads me to believe its possible.

Have any of you had the pleasure(or displeasure) of buying a TaoTao? How are they, do they ride well, how long have you had yours, should I get a 12-14inch tire or just go for a 16? Can I upgrade to a bigger tire? Is this a good beginner scoot?

I apologize if a similar thread has been made in the past.

And please, if you are going to tell me to buy a "real" moped...then please just don't reply. I don't have the money to do so.

Thank you all
-FishMan

Login or Register to Remove Ads