Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 02-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Crying Jalon Falcon 50 2 stoke air box...impossible to find?

Just bought this scoot. Air filter box cover and element are missing. Having no luck searching ebay, amazon and google. This thing has different names all over it. Geely, Jalon, Falcon 50, JL50QT-15 and CityScape. What the hell do I put in my search engine?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

It's a lot easier to just add an aftermarket pod filter. Probably cheaper, too.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

You said you know mopeds, and a open air filter on a 2 stroke moped and a 2 stroke scooter is not that different. As much as I hate pods and dont mess with them, just pod it and jet to compensate. You could also just modify an airbox off any other brand 2 stroke. I only mess with Zuma 2 strokes myself so parts are easy to come by. Heck, I bet that motor is a clone of a Minarelli 2 stroke like whats found on a Yamaha Jog, Adly 2 stroke, Yamaha 2 stroke Vino etc.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
You said you know mopeds, and a open air filter on a 2 stroke moped and a 2 stroke scooter is not that different. As much as I hate pods and dont mess with them, just pod it and jet to compensate. You could also just modify an airbox off any other brand 2 stroke. I only mess with Zuma 2 strokes myself so parts are easy to come by. Heck, I bet that motor is a clone of a Minarelli 2 stroke like whats found on a Yamaha Jog, Adly 2 stroke, Yamaha 2 stroke Vino etc.
Like to have the original, but sometimes you have to settle. I believe it is a Minarelli. PO changed the carb, but did give me the original. I got it started, but it was bogging under load with his aftermarket carb. Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 PM   #5

If its a 2 stroke motor, its a Minarelli clone. Now, to find out if its a long or short case (and other important info) head over to Scrappy Dog and do some research/reading. VERY helpful site when I get stuck working on something Im not to familiar with. Note that Minarelli motors dont really like open/pod style air filters as they were designed to run best with a bit of negative pressure from the stock airbox. Open pods can be done, just be up on your A game because they will soft seize with virtually no warning if not set up close to perfect! Fun motors that can really truck along if set up right.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:
If its a 2 stroke motor, its a Minarelli clone. Now, to find out if its a long or short case (and other important info) head over to Scrappy Dog and do some research/reading. VERY helpful site when I get stuck working on something Im not to familiar with. Note that Minarelli motors dont really like open/pod style air filters as they were designed to run best with a bit of negative pressure from the stock airbox. Open pods can be done, just be up on your A game because they will soft seize with virtually no warning if not set up close to perfect! Fun motors that can really truck along if set up right.
""

sc00ter:
I determined I have a long case (17" with 12 bolts in cover). The PO started it for me, but it would bog if you tried to make it go. I figured it had to do with the missing air filter cover and element. Just like to get back to square one with the thing before I start modding it. Seems most of the air filter boxes I am running into are molded to fit beside the rear shock. The one on my Jalon is in front of the rear shock. Is there a site with some good active classified adds I can try to find one on?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

Maybe this will fit?

http://www.partsforscooters.com/161-...ilter-Assembly
Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #8

cheapeto may have nailed it. Posting a picture of what your working with would help. Both my vert and horizontal motors filter locations fit what your describing. No local scooter shops in your area? I have 2 good ones nearby that I can pick on junk/wreaked/parts bikes for pretty cheap if needed. It just always seems what I need has been picked already..... What year is the Jalon you bought? Does it have a catalytic converter exhaust system (usually a extra pipe crimped off on the exhaust if bypassed) or normal? This can complicate things if not known.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #9

Also the air filter location sounds like what was on my Adly RT50. That motor was a dead copy of a 2 stroke Vino motor from Yamaha. Also had a 2 stroke Hyosung Sense scooter (GREAT little scooter) that was a Vino motor clone. Note that the air filter mounting was VERY close on the Adly but the Hyosung had a strange hose that relocated the air filter to a different location to clear the body panels. The guy I sold the Sense to rode it with the air filter disconnected and lost most of his compression. When it first lost power he never investigated the reason why. Kept riding it till it got slower and slower. I have a extra top end I offered him for free but Im not doing the labor. That Hyosung was a pig to work on!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #10

The PartsForScooters guys are decent people, they help you like scrappydog does.
They would pop in on different threads at Total Ruckus before it went dark.
Not just spamming their site but giving some really good info to the OP's.
For the slider/roller combo I like to run, they had the better prices for my size then most other places I checked out.
When I upgrade to the HIT clutch, that is where I'll get mine at.
To the OP, best of luck in your search.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #11

Thanks guys, I will try to post a pic
Scoot is a 2003 Jalon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180131_070109.jpg (86.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #12

Again, cheapeto says it best. Either of those vendors are great to deal with. What is written on the cvt cover near the rear? That should point you in the right direction. You have the back part of the filter housing still but I would replace the whole thing just because. Call one of those vendors, tell them of this thread picture or ask to send them the picture and have you VIN ready-they may be able to tell you what it is by the VIN number. Also, the EPA label will tell you who manufactured the scooter. Get it dialed in, ride it and enjoy it, then see what modding options are out there! Bonus: 2003 should not have a cat exhaust. Easier to mod. Motor does look like a Vino 2 stroke clone though. I had a extra filter housing for one but the garage is a mess because Im trying to make space for a Subaru Baja project, and if I recall that housing was cracked. Also have a complete Vino motor but its not mine. Call Scrappy of PartsforScooters, they will hook you up.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Again, cheapeto says it best. Either of those vendors are great to deal with. What is written on the cvt cover near the rear? That should point you in the right direction. You have the back part of the filter housing still but I would replace the whole thing just because. Call one of those vendors, tell them of this thread picture or ask to send them the picture and have you VIN ready-they may be able to tell you what it is by the VIN number. Also, the EPA label will tell you who manufactured the scooter. Get it dialed in, ride it and enjoy it, then see what modding options are out there! Bonus: 2003 should not have a cat exhaust. Easier to mod. Motor does look like a Vino 2 stroke clone though. I had a extra filter housing for one but the garage is a mess because Im trying to make space for a Subaru Baja project, and if I recall that housing was cracked. Also have a complete Vino motor but its not mine. Call Scrappy of PartsforScooters, they will hook you up.
Sc00ter:
No numbers on the cvt cover. There is a flat spot on the rear of the cover that looks like the place for numbers, but nothing is there. I will call scrappy or Parts for scoots and see what they say. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #14

Just figured out my Jalon is a Sunny Type 1 scooter. Parts search is going much better now!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #15

Found my handle bar cover and it is on the way. Replaced brake master cylinder and got front brakes working again. Like to put that mess of wires and switches back together this weekend so I can focus on getting it running better.