Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 06-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Fuel level sensor

My fuel gauge hasn't worked since I got this. Yesterday I removed the sensor, and it works find and the level reader in the dash works fine. But as soon as I install it in the tank, it reads empty. I took it out time and time again, works fine, but in the tank, not. Checked the float, float floats like it should. Something is obstructing the float in the tank. I swung the unit back and forth from one side to the other and left in in the middle of the swing. I have half a tank, and at least now it reads one notch above empty. I'll take it out today and fill it and see what happens. But is there a trick to this? There doesn't appear to be any indicator as to where it in supposed to be positioned. I'm glad everything works, I just need it to do it's job.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Ok, the float floats in water but not in gas. The plan is to drill small holes in each end to blow it out and than seal the holes and both ends with gas tank sealer. Anything wrong with that? Someone got a better idea short of replacing the part?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Does the float arm swing freely? These things usually have no bearings, they are just a piece of steel wire that goes directly into plastic with a retention clip. If you hold the sender in the air with the float pointed down, and rotate the sender to bring the float up on the rotation axis, but the float wants to come up instead of falling to point straight down (i.e. it's sticking), then the permanent fix is to get a new fuel sender unit; the plastic has deformed and is restricting the float's movement. Anything else is just buying a little more time.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Thanks. the sender is fine, the float was sunk. I found a used sender (not the same as mine) but the float worked. So I've burned half a tank and tomorrow I'll adjust the float to reflect that. right now it's reading about 1/8 tank off, I want it closer.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

Depending on how old your scoot is, the ethanol in today's gasoline can make both carb and tank floats sink. The solution is generally a new float made of brass or another more modern composite that is alcohol tolerant.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
My fuel gauge hasn't worked since I got this. Yesterday I removed the sensor, and it works find and the level reader in the dash works fine. But as soon as I install it in the tank, it reads empty. I took it out time and time again, works fine, but in the tank, not. Checked the float, float floats like it should. Something is obstructing the float in the tank. I swung the unit back and forth from one side to the other and left in in the middle of the swing. I have half a tank, and at least now it reads one notch above empty. I'll take it out today and fill it and see what happens. But is there a trick to this? There doesn't appear to be any indicator as to where it in supposed to be positioned. I'm glad everything works, I just need it to do it's job.
I'm having this same issue with My fashion 250, which looks almost exactly like your bike. I think the voyager sticker/decal is after market bling. You have a CF Moto Fashion 250T. Mine is a 2008. Except for the color, both bike are Identical, mine is yellow, (For now) I'm changing the color soon.