Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 04-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #16

I never got a Top Secret clearance, Irish. They promised me one if I would do a tour in Yuma. I turned it down. I love Yuma, but my wife hates it.
Since you were working on HMX-1 choppers, did you see some senators and congressman? They told me that they made congressmen/women fly on the h-46 phrogs.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #17

When you work on Presidential Acft , you work in a fenced in area (in the hanger) The coptor is in the fenced in area & you show a guard your badge & install the engines , driveshaft, oil cooler, etc. You don't see anyone but the guard! They have a machine that checks the continuity of the many wires. It is like working on any '61 except that it is in a cage & ck'd closer. My specialty was engine driveshafts! '61s have a folding pylon(to put below decks on an aircraft carrier) Experimental used to have me install a driveshaft so many thousands out of line so that they could measure the heat difference. Congress people can't be bothered with a helicopter unless it is ready to go. Sikorsky actually makes ships (coptors) for other countries. you can usually tell where it is going by the color of the camouflage paint job! Irish
P.S. When you work in the factory hanger , you don't see anyone except maybe the service crew that takes delivery.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #18

Cool stuff. We had an engine test cell on base when I was at Tustin CA. Those turbine engines were insanely loud when they ran them up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads