Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Looking to modify Honda PCX150

I bought my PCX 150 a coupe years ago and I tell you what it has been the best scooter I have ever been on, I drive this thing EVERYWHERE... and I mean everywhere. The problem is as I travel some roads have a higher speed limit and I have a bit of a hard time keeping up and to top it all off our state just raised the limit so now I really can't keep up.

So anyways what I am looking to do are some cheap and or FREE mods to my scoot to make it maybe a bit faster and louder. I have been ran off the road a number of times and hit. I keep getting told that if my bike was louder then the cars would hear me better, and I know that to be true. SO... how can I speed up my scoot?? I can go 60mph very comfortable, tuck and draft and I will get up to 65mph but anything after 65 the scoot bogs out and slows down... riding behind a truck one day I could have pushed 70mph or more but my scoot would bog out, almost like as if there is a limit thats behest by honda and once it reached that speed limit it kills the engine for a quick second... I have some really good tires on her, good gear for riding I just need to speed her up. I have thought about cutting the air box out and then going to the local parts store and matching up a K&N filter and see what that does, if its even possible??? Also I have seen on the internet of people drilling holes in their pipes to make it sound louder and it is much louder... is this the only way to make my scoot he heard? (besides the horn ha ha)

Well I guess that is it for now... unless someone wants to tell me anything more for perforce and mods I can do on my scoot... understand tho that the Honda PCX is a little different then a lot of scoots out there, so don't tell me to do something that worked on one scoot and THINK or HOPE it would work on mine ha ha, this is my baby and I wanna keep her around for a while

Thanks fellow scootdawgs
Top speed 64 mph

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

I know you don't want to hear this, but if you want more speed, you need a bigger motor, which almost always means a different bike.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but if you want more speed, you need a bigger motor, which almost always means a different bike.
Yes I realize that with a bigger motor and bike I would have no problems with going faster, I know there are options to bore the heads and there are kits with new weights, belt and varitor that will boost power and speeds (impressive speeds) but I am in hopes to figure out why my Honda seems to be governed at 65 and if there is in fact away to take the filter box off and replace it with one of those universal K&N and kits... and or what anyone else may have to offer or might know...
Top speed 64 mph

Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 AM   #4

Shadowfire, has given you some pretty sound advice. You should listen to him.

My answer will address both threads you started on this subject.

Not knowing your scooter I looked up reviews. In the review here, the author tells you everything you need to know IF you listen. In the specs box and about 2/3 the way down the page he tells you about the PGM FI system on the scooter.

What PGM FI means in simple terms is you have a powertrain computer that adjusts both fuel and timing in a pre-programmed way. It is most likely just as sophisticated as the same named design on the Honda cars, suvs, truck.

What that means is that if you really want to change ANYTHING on the engine performance characteristics of your scooter you are going to need a tool like an Actia Passthru+ XS to reprogram (flash) the computers memory. You will also need a software program and a flash file either written by you or someone else to do that with. This all assumes that Honda has enabled that capability and provided an OBD II port (connector) on the scooter.

Any changes like destroying the airbox, or drilling holes in the exhaust will most likely result in failure and require a new part purchase.

To address the other thread of noise to be heard; why not buy some backup type noise maker for a truck and wire it in to the scooter so that you are always heard. I find that noise very annoying as many others probably do.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #5

As your Honda is fuel injected, I would not modify the air intake, or any other components without the ability to reprogram the ECU.

If you do modify your intake system, it will be detrimental.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:17 AM   #6

After reading posts online and looking into it more from the comments above I am have left the scoot alone. I love this thing and I was be sad if it was ruined to a stupid mod to get one extra mile out of it. But I do wonder how the people on the youtube got their PCX to go faster with different weights and varratior if the computer is telling the bike what to do... I am gonna order the K&N high flow air filter, but it is a stock design just with the K&N in it is all.. I am pushing 9k miles here really soon so Ia m going to do the belt before I have it snap and I am left stranded... while I am in there I should do the weights and stuff as well right? Suggestions??

Thanks fellow Scootdawgs... almost got stupid and ruined a perfectly good scooter for a second.
Top speed 64 mph
Old 07-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #7

Over on Total Ruckus, is a section for the PCX. I dont go in there so much as I ride a Big Ruckus.
I can tell you in the BR section under the Performance banner are threads how the guys are tuning their BR's.
BRed's threads are PACKED full of roller weight changes, different clutches, all with Vapor chart records to see the changes. Very carefully documented to compare each set up.
The Big Ruckus, was a lead sled out of the show room. Part of it's low sales numbers is directly related to that. They also had a terrible rear shock that just made the ride suck badly.

Roller weights are the cheapest way to give yourself either more jump from the line, or less jump and more top end.

Then the clutch, Honda's is fine, again different needs or wants for different folks, some went to the JCosta pin driven clutch. Some the Delta, some Polini, some Malossi.

All I'm getting at, is once you spend some time going over the charts, and reading the excellent documentation, you can use that information for any size motor, IMHO.

On my BR, in orginal condition I'd NEVER even consider a 1000 mile touring ride.
However, after drilling out the port on the slide vacuum, re-jetting, changing the weights sliders or rollers or a mix of both, Polini contra spring with the Honda variator face, adding a YSS shock, built for the BR, K&N filter, a hot engine valve adjustment, and adding a tach, it's a completely different machine.

The biggest loser, in changes for BR's, BBK's. I've not read of any that made the conversion for a long period of time, without engine failure. I'm sure some may have, I just have not read of them myself.

I was never a Honda guy, nor any other brand. I worked for AMF when they got in the Harley Davidson lines back in the mid 70's. I built thousands of parts for them, but never had a desire to own one...still don't.
My heart loves the small CC's and all they do or can do.
Without buying my chinadoll, I never would have found the Big Ruckus, nor learned to wrench on a motorcycle, and all the joy when riding.

Even after spending 10 hours straight, tank after tank of gas,when riding down to North Carolina, last month, I found myself, grinning like a damn fool, while trying to navigate through the thick layer of bug splattered windscreen!! Just a wonderful alive feeling.
Man I love my machine.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

The thing about the Big Ruckus is that it has a carburetor and is 249cc. The PCX is only 152.9cc
FI. I'm thinking there might be a rev limiter on the PCX as well. (even if in the EFI programming)

As the OP noticed, reducing wind resistance was effective. Mostly, this is the thing holding it
back. So, streamlining and upping the gear ratio would get him more speed; and that, probably
with a minimum penalty in fuel economy and even possibly rather an improvement in mpg.

There are probably not taller final gears for this bike, so the next best thing would be a rear
tire with a slightly larger diameter. And if there is any real truth to the claims, Dr Pulley sliders
put in place of the stock rollers might be a little help too.

I think without having to do more complicated (and expensive mods) other than streamlining
and a taller tire, that will be about as far as this bike could get in gaining much of a substantial
improvement in performance... speed wise that is.

I agree as others have said: Want more speed? A bigger bike can do it easier and not cost as much
in $$ and reliability than by trying to make a small bike into something it was never meant to be.

But like I said, streamlining and replacing the rear tire with one that is taller is probably the
easiest, cheapest way to make a small bike the best that it could be. Or at the least, better than it
already is.

For ideas and to see what others are doing to their bikes (scooters & motorcycles), check this
link out. It's pretty extensive, but very interesting. I got one of the first Vetter fairing nose kits
for my Honda Reflex. (which will be using a taller Polini final drive gear set AND! a taller tire)
Initial test ride without streamlined fairing (just the regular stock body panels) I got 77mpg.
Not an impressive improvement over the usual upper 60's/low 70's mpg that I normally got, but
I was heavy on the throttle to see what it could do. Not surprized that wind resistance still held
it back.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470...20Fairing.html

BTW IMO, Being seen is much more important than being heard. And they might not hear you
anyway with windows up... and their stereo blasting away... singing along.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Last edited by bandito2; 07-15-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #9

I love vetters page!! Been reading over there for a long time. Good post man.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #10

Thank you for the reply and the info, I am going to look into this and see what I can do. I ask this stuff cuz I am driving a long the freeways and I have half a throttle left when my bike bogs out and slows down at 64-65 MPH. I know there is more speed to be had in there... I was not sure if it was something that could be done to get this speed that I know is in this bike, I also just last month bought new tires... some good rubber also. I got the Michelin city tires. Anyways... I LOVE my ride and I love taking her out on a little cruise down the road or a long cruise to my folks house I use this bike as my daily driver all the time, rain and even in the cold (not fun in the cold) sun or shine I am riding this thing miles and mies every day. I have found that taking these side roads and back roads are a pain in the butt I am sick of a 1.5 hour drive on the side roads when it takes me 45 min on the freeway. But they have just raised the speed limit and with that Iam getting ran over and passed like I am standing still, I do not want to be hit and or killed so I need to get about 7-10 miles out of the scoot. I know she has it... I just aint sure how to get it out. Thanks for the links and info I am going to check it out now
Top speed 64 mph
Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #11

The best inexpensive mod is 13 gram Techpulley weights in your stock variator.

I installed them on my 2011 125 PCX, and it was much improved over the entire powerband, including an extremely 5 mph on the top end.