Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Minarelli Migraine...

Suffering a Minarelli Migraine. Ok..blinkers will work when key is on and engine is NOT running.(As they run off of the battery on this typical AC system) Leave blinker on and crank engine and they go off and will not blink. Leaving them on and hitting the Kill Switch they begin to work again. It gets more bizarre..trust me. Check the battery with engine off and it reads 12.95 VDC. Start the engine and the multimeter flips and flashes numbers so fast ya can't see them when ya check the battery. Hit the Kill Switch and it goes right back to 12.95 VDC. Engine and frame grounds all check out..all lights work fine..horn E-Start etc. Try to check Stator AC output is a no go. Unplugged from the harness black on black..and red to yellow then white wire shows mayhem!!! The meter just flashes all kinds of random numbers and gives no output reading. Again Scooter starts and runs fine! BUT..while running..if you unplug the 3 wire Stator connector..the engine idles WAY high to about 3,500rpm and stays there.(yes even after the auto enricher has warmed and shut off) Plug the Stator connector back together and it instantly drops down to a nice 1,800-2,000 rpm idle... :tumped:: But still no flashers or stable/readable output from ANY Stator wire. In fact even the red CDI power wire does this..you cannot get a normal 40-100 VAC reading from it..3 different Meters used for all the testing..and they all just flash when testing ANY wire from the Stator. Again..red CDI..yellow lighting..white for charging and even blue for the pickup trigger...all just flash random numbers. YET!! The Scooter starts and runs fine. Now the very odd part. Set the Meter to AC then DC and touch ONLY the Meters black wire to the frame at either setting...and you get the same flickering of the Meter...just as ya do when putting black to ground and red to a Stator output wire. Shut the engine off and do the same..just touching the black lead to ground..and you get a 0.0 (normal reading) Swapped in a good Stator..same thing..tested and swapped a new R/R along with it..same thing. Tested the leads to the auto enricher in case it was shorted and voltage to that flickers as well. Unplugged the auto enricher to rule out a short in it..and still the same. Removed the black kill wire..same thing. It seems as if their is a Hot to Ground short in the system maybe??? Yet only present when the engine is running..wth??.. The only upgrade or change the guy has made to the Scoot was to use 194/T10 base LED lights in his instrument cluster. Soo..I wonder..since LED's are polarized..could they be acting like a 1/2 wave rectifier or diode and dumping part of the AC current from the Stator to ground... causing a short/hot to ground effect?. I know LED bulbs can create havoc on some systems..but the blinker bulbs are standard filament type bulbs..only the dash panel bulbs(that run off the Stator) ate LED bulbs. But even if they were acting as a diode does and dumping 1/2 of the Stators AC current to ground..would I not still be able to get a good..steady..stable and visible AC reading from all of my Stators wires?..
Umm..so like..somebody...Help??
Thanks, Glenn

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #2

Found the problem and got the electrical system fixed.. Runs and works great now.. Oddest issue I have ever run across. Makes me wonder how many others have had or will have this issue occur and think it is the Stator..Regulator or a dead short...and end up replacing parts they never needed...

Last edited by carasdad; 04-25-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasdad View Post
Found the problem and got the electrical system fixed.. Runs and works great now.. Oddest issue I have ever run across. Makes me wonder how many others have had or will have this issue occur and think it is the Stator..Regulator or a dead short...and end up replacing parts they never needed...
But as always..whatever questions I post...many many read.. but I never get a reply. Makes me feel like a Non Member at an elite Golf resort...lol.. Was gonna post what I found to save folks trouble if they have this issue..but pffft.. This site is not worth my time anymore... :(
Hi Glenn
WOW im disapointed i never thoiught of you as being a petty individual
Hope you rethink this as your a valued member here
Take care
Yours Hank

Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

So you're going to 'punish' other members that may enjoy reading your posts, or ones that you've given advice/help to?

Do you really think it's some kind of conspiracy that everyone just refuses to help you specifically? Or is it the more logical explanation... that simply no one has any advice for your particular problem? Ever think that maybe they just don't have an answer for you?

We've been here for a little over a year now, and it's no secret that we're not the busiest forum out there while we're still trying to grow. You have to have some patience and understanding. With that said, if you don't want to be a part of this project and help the community grow and be successful, then that's your choice. No one is forced to stay here.

For those of you that enjoy the forum, thank you for believing in SD and sticking around to help others out.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #5

I can't post pics on this site..so here is a link with a lengthy evaluation and write up that includes pics...I am very certain many had this before and replaced the Stator and R/R yet still had the issue.. I was shocked to find it as I had never seen this... Here is a link from my handle on another site.
http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/threa...relli-migraine
Enjoy, Glenn

Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #6

I agree with the guys from the other forum. I never would have thought of that...

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=66...tion=USA&add=1

Old 04-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #7

To post pics, just use the IMG tags (if they're already hosted somewhere), or use the "Add Attachments" button when making a post to upload them here.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
To post pics, just use the IMG tags (if they're already hosted somewhere), or use the "Add Attachments" button when making a post to upload them here.
So I can load them direct from my PC? Most sites ya gotta have photobucket. Not paranoid but I won't use many sites like that as all our pics and info is right out there for everybody in the Cyber World to see..and access to our private info is just too easy these days..
Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #9

Yep, you just click on "Manage Attachments", click the "Browse" button, choose the photos you want, and click 'Upload'. Very simple.

You can use an external hosting site like Photobucket also, just use the IMG tags to make them show on the forum.

It's always better to upload directly to the forum, because 1, it's easier, and 2, they'll be here virtually forever. A lot of people use a site like Photobucket and forget about it years later, or delete it, and all the pics you posted on the forum will just be red X's. Sucks for others if they were looking forward to seeing a specific picture that was posted, and now it doesn't work.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #10

Here are my findings. Have you looked at them? 49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/8690/minarelli-migraine