Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

wheel out balance

I have 450 miles on mt scoot and since I bought it is like they didn't put the tire on right.even on the center stand you can see it going up and down.is this normal on these since they aren't balanced?i have 170/30/12 tires.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

You have to check if the rim is out of whack or the tire is out of whack.
So line up a piece of anything a stick works and hold it along side the bottom and mark where the edge of the rim is and also mark the bottom where the tire hits on the stick or whatever you use and rotate the wheel and see which one does not line up with the marks when you rotate it the wheel.
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
You’ll never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy
Old 11-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #4

its the tire .where do you guys get new tires put on your wheels?something that small must be hard with tools
Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #5

Yes unbalanced it will wobble . I had ,y dealer balance mine and on the CS it does not wiggle any more than 1/4 of a mm . He used this http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-98488.html Now the factory ChengShin tires sucked compared to the Shinkos I have on it now . I had a TaoTao it had such a knot in the tire that it bounced like crazy and I took it back after only going 1,000 feet . Steel rims are easy to get bent and warp . CycleGear can mount and high speed balance for 20 per tire if you bough thetires from them or 30 if you bring your own . They do not R&R the wheel so you will need to remove it off of your scoot yourself .

There is balance beads that look like BBs that go inside of the tire . Some claim they work but I have not tested them . Having mine balanced removed the shimy at top end speeds . Even balanced with the CS tires if I removed a hand off of a grip while riding it would shake violently . With the Shinko I have no side to side wobble . I think it is because the CS has a zig zag wavy pattern in the middle and the outeredge was shaped like a V with little contact . The Shinko is more U shaped and has a straight line in the middle with a much more improved ride and handling

Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #6

ok thanks,i have aluminum rims and are straight as can be but it came with cheap tires cause its Chinese I guess.