Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Scooter Blanket

I hate the cold.

I really hate it . I am basically a walking scar and scars don't care for the cold. Since I was trying to ride as much as possible this winter I started looking for ways to stop the cold. I wondered how the folks in Europe could ride year round and about that time some one on one of the forums I am a member of said something about scooter blankets. I googled them and there are some awesome ones 3-4 weeks away and over $100. Apparently no one in the US makes them. I didn't want to wait because the extra powerful cold doesn't last long around here and I didn't want to not ride for 3-4 weeks so I looked at them and figured I could make one. The hard part was the pattern of course and it took about 6 hours to sew something that worked and thank God my wife was around to take pictures of me on the scooter holding a measuring tape. So it's not perfect but it works.

Outside

Inside

It took about a yard and a half of heavy duty canvas and another yard and half of micro fleece, some heavy duty thread a bit of velcro, 2' of thin pre-made straps, a bit of elastic and time.

It works very well at capturing the heat from your engine and keeping you nice and warm. I still wear long-johns, pants, and riding pants under it and with all that I can ride in the early morning hours before the sun is up in sub zero temps and not be even slightly cold. The hard part was fitting it over the gas tank bump and figuring out how to attach it to me to keep it from flapping about in a way that I could still get my feet down. It straps to my waste doubly under my jacket and over my pants in addition to the 3 leg straps.

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by scootnwinn; 01-26-2013 at 03:25 PM.