Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockynv View Post
I am going by a lecture given by Dr. Isadore Rosenthal on health where he covered coffee. He mentioned that you could drink all the filtered coffee you wanted if you didn't have diabetes or a heart condition as there were antioxident properties in coffee that did promote good health and could help prevent many ailments including diabeties. However unfiltered coffee had many oils and acids that over time could build up cortisol levels in the blood stream leading to hardening of the cell membranes and resistance to insulin along with plaquing of the arteries. Don't remember all the details but that was the gist of it. There is a brief blurb out on Fox News with the short answer by him on the direct impact on the heart as regards caffine however that does not address the acids and oils that are covered in the complete ansewer.

On the various oils in coffee, the temperature at which they are released along with their impact on flavor my kid brother is the one to talk to. At culinary school he won an Award of Excellence from the National Restaraunt Association for his coffee brewing skills. His award for being able to bone out a whole chicken in less than 30 seconds would caution you not to startle him in a dark alley.

The other thread is not lost that is why I provided the "Read More" link to it in my first post.
Coffee oils and acids can harden cell membranes? That's definitely a first I've heard of that because if coffee oils affected cell membrane permeability the first thing it would affect is your digestive system and you'd simply stop absorbing the coffee oils in the first place. Cell membranes are pretty much self self regulating, to have chemicals be able to significantly affect animals on the cellular membrane level would mean body chemistries so alien that you'd be facing other more serious issues like neurochemical or ionic imbalance. As for building up insulin resistance I don't think it's the coffee that's doing it.

I'm highly dubious about this doctor's research especially the fact that he's going on Fox News to discuss it.

And as far as people claiming coffee oil raises cholesterol. The studies are all over the map on that one. But one thing is for certain, the French use French press and are generally lower in overall cholesterol levels, while Americans filter their coffee and are higher in overall cholesterol levels. Some people may see a link. But the only link I see is just Americans eat unhealthy foods which is causing the high cholesterol and coffee at worst can be eliminated from negative health impacts and at best contribute to overall health.

The fact is if you have high cholesterol trying to blame it solely on coffee is irresponsible and short sighted.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by qwertydude; 01-25-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno711 View Post
Vulgar words whether they're real or fake sends out a message of nastiness imo.
It's just so unnecessary....why do people insist on being nasty? I don't get it.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with "%&@#$#" this usually translates as a feeling of your own frustrations and its typically not directed at anyone in particular. ....Just my 2 cents
Just diminishes the perceived value of what you are saying when you use them and shows little respect for those you are communicating with so why bother. Really just a non-physical way of assaulting people. Don't hear or use that type of language in my daily life so won't degenerate to it here. Get into the habit and let vulgar words slip where I work and you could end up unemployed in a heartbeat. It is a multi-national company so there are enough people around that if you use the German, Latin or Asian equivalents there will most likely be somone around that fully understands the words and their usage even if you don't fully understand them yourself. I used to work in the State prison system and even there the prisoners never used vulgar speach in my presence and would appologize if they even came close to slipping one out.

I won't melt if someone uses that type of language in my presence however my respect for them as a person and for what their saying will indeed start melting away.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #18

Thumbs Up

Quote:
I won't melt if someone uses that type of language in my presence however my respect for them as a person and for what their saying will indeed start melting away.
I wonder if it gives them some sense of authority over the person they're speaking with, or perhaps some sort of security? But, I'm with you, if someone uses that type of language in my presence however my respect for them as a person and for what their saying will indeed start melting away.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #19

I remember the quote but not sure of the source (sounds like Ben Franklin to me...)

"Profanity is a feeble mind's attempt to express itself"

That has always stuck with me. The English language is so rich and alive. Why use the same 4 letter words to describe our vibrant lives here, right?

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Last edited by scootnwinn; 01-25-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #20

What's funny is people who know me in real life know I actually talk exactly how I write. I just feel no need for profanity ironic because I'm just about the only sailor that didn't have a sailor's mouth.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #21

Quote:
I wonder if it gives them some sense of authority over the person they're speaking with, or perhaps some sort of security? But, I'm with you, if someone uses that type of language in my presence however my respect for them as a person and for what their saying will indeed start melting away.
It is a form of domination or assault used in an attempt to be emphatic akin to poking or slapping someone. In person people who do not know me refer to me as the "scary guy" as it is, so I try to tone it down to begin with. I can emphasize my point without profanity or physically assaulting someone.

Goes back to how my Dad was too. Most people with a father born in 1906 are in their 80's now and not their late 50's early 60's so my upbringing was a generation or two behind most people my age. He hated violence and to him swearing was just a form of violent behavior against those around you so he really drilled that into us. He did not want us to grow old with regrets due to resorting to violence of any kind. He really regretted having killed so many people in his past and he did not want us to come anywhere close to that even in our speech.

I have mentioned this in the past but for those unfamiliar: During WWII out in the South Pacific he was raiding Japanese held islands by himself and had to neutralize 10 to 20 men a day with a hand held bayonet, hatchett or his bare hands on covert deployments that lasted from 30 to 120 days. Having done that and realizing that he still possesed those skills added to his resolve to avoid conduct that could lead to any further violence in his life or ours. At age 97 he would tell us that he could still see their eyes every time he went to sleep and that there were too many to count. The total days of deployment he had as a raider came to around 300 so the count of nightime visitors that he had when he slept was in the thousands which was a lot of weight for him to carry all those years.

I hope nobody here ever has to live with similar regrets even if it is just from the look of disapointment that comes when they cut loose on somone with profane violent speech.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #22

One thing I've yet to figure out is Hollywood and their use of vulgarity.
They often will make a movie that portrays life in the early 1900's and the writers put in all
sorts of vulgar words which can increase the rating to an "R" thus cutting off a huge segment of the population who will not go to an "R" rated movie or those who are not yet old enough. Ask anyone who is in there 80's or 90's. People simple did not talk that way back then. In fact, when Gone with the Wind" debut in 1939....our society was shocked with the word damn. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

We've certainly have ""progressed" from then.....haven't we ;-)

Btw....I tried for the first time this morning, coffee from the mountains of Honduras ....It's wonderful!

Last edited by danno711; 01-26-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootnwinn View Post
I remember the quote but not sure of the source (sounds like Ben Franklin to me...)

"Profanity is a feeble mind's attempt to express itself"

That has always stuck with me. The English language is so rich and alive. Why use the same 4 letter words to describe our vibrant lives here, right?
Hi Rob
Heres the qoute in its entirety , its one of my favorite quotes btw
“Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.”

― Spencer W. Kimball
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/6203...ain-to-express
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show...ncer_W_Kimball
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
Coffee oils and acids can harden cell membranes? That's definitely a first I've heard of that because if coffee oils affected cell membrane permeability the first thing it would affect is your digestive system and you'd simply stop absorbing the coffee oils in the first place. Cell membranes are pretty much self self regulating, to have chemicals be able to significantly affect animals on the cellular membrane level would mean body chemistries so alien that you'd be facing other more serious issues like neurochemical or ionic imbalance. As for building up insulin resistance I don't think it's the coffee that's doing it.

I'm highly dubious about this doctor's research especially the fact that he's going on Fox News to discuss it.

And as far as people claiming coffee oil raises cholesterol. The studies are all over the map on that one. But one thing is for certain, the French use French press and are generally lower in overall cholesterol levels, while Americans filter their coffee and are higher in overall cholesterol levels. Some people may see a link. But the only link I see is just Americans eat unhealthy foods which is causing the high cholesterol and coffee at worst can be eliminated from negative health impacts and at best contribute to overall health.

The fact is if you have high cholesterol trying to blame it solely on coffee is irresponsible and short sighted.
Dr. Rosenfeld (mispelled the name as Rosenthall originally) represented the US in China when the President tasked a study on medicine and surgical practices around the world be done. He is probably one of the most respected and well recognized physicians (Cardiologist) in the world. How soon we forget.

He discussed his research years ago in full disclosure to the medical community. FOX invited him to comment on coffee's recent bad press. Look up his PBS interview on the topic from some years ago where he recounts his worldwide research trip for the US Government.

He said if you do not have diabeties or a heart/circulatory problems then drink all the filtered coffee you like however once you do have a problem then you need to restrict your intake. Provided some research that linked certain hybred citrus (grapefruit?) as amplifying the problem.

BTW: Raised Cortisol hormone levels with related cell hardening and cholesterol buildup are two different things. I do not have the information fresh in mind as this was at least 10 years ago and I did not get the printed or digital documentation/transcripts.

Last edited by rockynv; 01-26-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #25

Well I was lazy this morning , I brewed via the coffee pot , so I sit here sipping .

As for the above posts and language . Its seems to be taken seriously you need to be serious . four letter words are mere fluff . I remember a 2 or 3oz bag of chips for .25 cents . You now get 3/4oz for .99 cents the bag is the same size . But we/you got fluff , Yes I could think of some choice words to desribe "fluff" .

I will say in person Iam very sarcastic and quite wise guy . Then depending on who I'm interacting with will dictate the vocabulary .

John
Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #26

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499

Unfiltered coffee does have a slight effect on cholesterol. But I guarantee you anyone who adds milk or creamer just completely overshadows even unfiltered coffee's effects on cholesterol.

So unless all you drink is black coffee, you're already raising your cholesterol level more than unfiltered coffee will.

Even though Dr. Rosenfeld is a well respected physician and technically he may be right, to logically apply his findings, you'd have to replicate his experimental methodologies used to determine cofesterol effects in the human body. Which means much tighter controls than a normal diet. So even under experimental conditions cofesterol only had a slight effect. Definitely nothing to worry about in normal consumption.

If you really are worried about cholesterol, choosing whether you filter your coffee or not definitely has less of an effect than general dietary habits. That's why I said trying to replicate his results in the real world end up with results all over the place. Which is why one minute coffee is demonized, then another minute it's praised as healthy. The demonizers look at one particular ingredient, cofesterol and proclaim it's evil and will kill you! The praisers say look at all the antioxidants and other good stuff and say it's the fountain of youth!

None of the experiments really apply in the real world where when people hear about the results go out and buy a venti latte thinking it's healthy! Or filter their coffee thinking it's healthier, and then add coffee creamer. So unless you drink black filtered coffee only, you can't really claim any of the health benefits.

And then you have your morning toast, do you butter it? Cholesterol. Bacon? Cholesterol. Eggs? Cholesterol. Don't even get me started on the cholesterol arguments people have made over the years whether eggs are good for you or bad. You think the coffee cholesterol issue is all over the place and controversial, eggs have positively started scientific civil wars.

Basically coffee is perhaps the smallest contributor to high cholesterol levels in the US. Taken as a whole if it really was so bad for you to drink unfiltered coffee the US would have lower blood cholesterol with a majority of people filtering their coffee than a country like France which averages lower cholesterol even though they enjoy espresso and French Press.

Personally I don't drink coffee for any perceived health reason. Just that I like caffeine and a nice espresso, latte, capuccino, is a wonderful way to enjoy coffee.

Last edited by qwertydude; 01-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #27

I have a chicken farm I guess that makes me evil. I drink filtered coffee black my blood pressure is very low I run like a well oiled machine.

Eat your vegetables drink your coffee and you will be fine

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 01-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #28

I was all excited this morning when I opened my coffee from the mountains of Honduras.
A one pound bag was 10.99...plus shipping.Honestly speaking, I couldn't tell the difference between the 1 pound bag 100% Colombian coffee I buy under a local store brand name and paid $4.50 for it, and the coffee from Honduras. Don't get me wrong, they are both delicious..I just couldn't tell the difference.

I'm probably just not sophisticated enough....Once I become sophisticated, then I'll be able to taste the different for sure!! ;-)
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootnwinn View Post
I have a chicken farm I guess that makes me evil. I drink filtered coffee black my blood pressure is very low I run like a well oiled machine.

Eat your vegetables drink your coffee and you will be fine
do you choke your chicken on the farm ? ha ha!

I could not resist .

sorry if I hurt your feelings ol MCdonald

John
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
I was all excited this morning when I opened my coffee from the mountains of Honduras.
A one pound bag was 10.99...plus shipping.Honestly speaking, I couldn't tell the difference between the 1 pound bag 100% Colombian coffee I buy under a local store brand name and paid $4.50 for it, and the coffee from Honduras. Don't get me wrong, they are both delicious..I just couldn't tell the difference.

I'm probably just not sophisticated enough....Once I become sophisticated, then I'll be able to taste the different for sure!! ;-)
When you're sophisticated only the finest coffee picked from endangered animal poop will do!!