Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

What are the odds?... a bad brand new spark plug?

I finally got around to putting a larger jet in the 50cc scooter and thought while I'm at it I'll put in one of the new spark plugs I bought a while back ... NKG CR7HSA ... the scooter would not start ... I checked the usual things and no spark. After some trouble shooting and confirming the coil was getting enough current to fire, a friend mentioned he'd once gotten a bad new spark plug. I got one from a scooter that ran and put it in the 50cc and it started right up. So I'm looking now at the brand new spark plug wondering WTH ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #2

Awhile back a friend and I ordered plugs in bulk from a reputable online vendor. Have ordered from them in the past and have never had a issue. Anyways, the plugs were NGK and as soon as we started using them, we ran into problems. Weird operating temps that were not consistent with prior data points and other anomalies. We contacted the vendor who offered a refund but didnt really thnk much else at the time. They figured the box may have been damaged. I took a few of the plugs to work and I had our incoming department look at the plugs. It was discovered they were BOOTLEG NGK plugs. Another larger group found the bootleg plugs around the same time, and a difference was soon discovered to help tell the bootlegs from the real deal. Let me tell you the bootlegs were GOOD clones, and if we were not doing plug chops at the time we may have never found the issue. We have never encountered another bootleg NGK plug in a long time, and all the vendors are now on high alert.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #3

Note that spark plugs are manufactured like anything else and there is a accepted failure rate. My work uses around 8000 spark plugs a day, and I know a few will get tossed in the scrap bins. Another side note is they are now made in China. Now, that does not mean quality went down. China can, and does, make good quality products. It depends on how much the manufacturer invest in training and quality control, and NGK is a major player who cares about quality. So dud plugs are a fact of life, and you happened to get one. At least you figured it out and got you bike running!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

Exclamation

When I lived in NH , I built many custom "choppers" & I had many bad electrical parts that were brand new but defective. Just because a part is "new" doesn't mean it is good. I built one bike that would not start. Not bragging but my engines always start! My confidence in my work made me backtrack & sure enough it was bad plugs. Unfortunately it's not uncommon. Irish