Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 03-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Taotao Zummer

I just got this 50cc Taotao Zummer online. I had it delivered to my neighborhood shop for assembly and PDI. They noted zero problems. They were going to change the carb if needed but she ran so good we will hold off on that. They did change the fluids. I have not ridden it yet as I am waiting for the title assignment documents.

The cost was $859 plus a $100 for the PDI etc. They had some for a couple of hundred less but the styling of this one is superb, looks identical to the Honda Zoomer-X, photo below (green).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 553D7471-D840-4A1F-ADAEA38F5A6D7052.jpg (53.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg zummer50-black-rear1.jpg (32.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg honda_zoomer_x_f34_lead.jpg (58.0 KB, 14 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Ozo; 03-26-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #2

Sweet ride. Nice daily commuter right there haha I'm currently working on building up my eton Beamer 2 check it out
Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

New Engine?

My mechanic says this scooter has a new engine from Taotao. Does any one know what it is?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Don't know anything about the new engine, but I like the handlebars.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Handlebars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Don't know anything about the new engine, but I like the handlebars.
Yea, me too. My mechanic says that the shocks are the reverse of others usually seen (upside down).

Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #6

Zummer

I have been riding this scooter but it is not broken in yet, I have had a few small problems. First, the horn worked one day and quit. Then, the ignition key cover failed and I had to force it open so now it does not close to keep out water. Next, the fuel gauge is flakey and says empty but is 3/4 full and after filling does not register any fuel till the next day. These are annoying but minor problems; still, it is a brand new scooter and should not have occurred. This is to be expected I guess from a Chinese scooter. Otherwise, I am happy with it.

It is slow (35 MPH) and I will attempt to derestrict it after it is broken in.

EDIT: The fuel gauge is now working. My mechanic says that is a common problem with scooters and after the float frees up the problem should not reoccur. The horn problem is in the switch so...

Last edited by Ozo; 05-06-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

Parts Access

I was not pleased to need parts already but at least they were easy to find. Tao Tao USA directs parts inquires to Eagle ATV Parts and it is fairly easy to find the required part. I selected 2 day (3 day) air from Texas to Florida for $18. The ignition switch/key assy was $49 and the Horn button assy was $30 so about $100 plus labor already on the new scooter. And no I made no effort to see if it would be covered by warranty. Warranty? What's that?

The switch/key is a very nice looking unit but failed immediately. I will lube the heck out of the new one in hopes that it lasts. I will see if it is possible to disassemble the horn button assy. so I can hopefully repair it in anticipation of the new one failing.