Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > Custom Builds

Old 01-04-2015, 01:10 AM   #1

2013 TaoTao T3 50cc "Sheatronics"

What's up everyone. New to the forums here, I wanted to find a place to make a log of my little project. I picked up a 2013 TatTao 50cc scoot for 100$ the other day, was already running and had a valid title but needed some work to look new again.

The previous owner had it stolen, but shortly recovered however the key cylinders had been punched out and there was some cosmetic damage. My plan is to first get it looking fresh and new again, as well as going over it to make sure it's in good shape mechanically.

From there on, I have a mental picture of what I'd like, but I'm sure it'll change a thousand times as I go along, it always does lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #2

This is the scoot the day I saw it going to work. As you can see there was a few damaged panel areas and a missing panel up front. Looking at the damage I should be able to fix them pretty easily with some fiberglass.

With photographic proof that I have probably the most understanding wife on the planet, she helped me lug it upstairs into our apartment so I could get it onto the porch to work on it, until I can get it registered so it wont be towed from the parking lot.

I want to say it took a little over an hour to tear it down to the frame. The wiring harness looked okay, as well as most of the body panels. I pulled off the primary cover and found a roller laying inside (I'm no expert but that's probably not good) I have to wait to bring it up to work to impact the nut to get inside to take a better look.

I cleaned up the wheels, primary cover, carb and intake areas. I pulled the carb to check the condition inside, surprisingly everything was so clean! Even looking down at the valve, looked spotless.

BUT... This is the first time I've had to deal with this personally, but the damn carb didn't have any screws to remove the bowl. It had some headless bolt that's impossible to remove. I can understand it's an emissions thing, but thats a normal part of routine maintenance!

I went ahead and extracted them, and stole some replacement bolts from an old kawi carb assembly that wont be needed for a while. I cleaned and inspected the jets and float assembly.

Here's the front panel I found today at a local scoot shop (the orange piece), set me back 20$ but I have a plan for it later to covert it to a headlight panel. The broken section on the lower part will be one of the pieces I'm going to try and repair.

ANywho, I got the carb back together and in looking for something, I happen to find 4 unopened pod filters that for this carb, just sitting in one my drawers, score!

I didn't take pics during, but I did also get the ignition cylinder bypassed, I'm not looking to broadcast that out there as a how to, but I replaced the cylinder with a switch instead and works great. I don't think I'm going to have any keys for this scoot.

Maybe someone could help me out though, I plan to upgrade the pipe and with the pod filter, can anyone recommend which jet sizes to start with? I know it's not one size fits all but currently I have a 79 main and a 32 idle jet.

That's all for tonight.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

I havent had a chance to mess with the scoot since my last post. I could still use some jetting recommendations. So far, I managed to clean everything up. Get it running, idling and riding. I need to adjust the carb still since it's a little boggy and hangs a bit when you throttle down.

I got some fiberglass on the broken panels, they just need shaping and finishing. I'll do all of my shaping when my headlight gets here so everything is done at the same time.

I pulled off the primary, the variator and clutch, belt, fan etc. The kick start assembly was all wonked up so I removed it for the time being. A roller was missing, I noticed all of the rollers have pretty bad flat spots, but replaced the missing roller for the time being.

I'm filling in the stock lower light locations, I didn't care for the look.

Once the bodywork is finished and it's registered and everything, I'll focus on any performance upgrades.

I ordered a few parts and I'm waiting for them to arrive get here! Parts are.

Bmx steering stem - to convert the bars over to flat mountain bike bars.

Dirtbike handlebar switch - to replace the bulky factory for lights, horn, signal controls.

Universal muffler - to cut down shorter and fit in a position that doesn't hide the rear wheel.

07/08 Suzuki hsxr 1000 headlight - To custom fit into the front plastic, the light fits the body lines of the scoot and will be pretty easy to retro fit. It will give me plenty of accessory lighting options later on as well, like ccfl and HID lighting.

That's all for today. Hopefully have some packages showing up soon so I can continue.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

Very nice job on the runaway man!!
I do enjoy a rebuild thread.
Nice work, good luck with your scooter.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapeto View Post
Very nice job on the runaway man!!
I do enjoy a rebuild thread.
Nice work, good luck with your scooter.
Thanks!. I have a problem with letting things just be broken. I like the challenge of getting something back to it's former condition and then some.

The temperature has been a roller coaster here lately, with work time hasn't been on my side but I'm hoping to have a LOT accomplished in the next 2 weeks as my parts steadily arrive.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #6

Not a big update but I was able to get a little done before work today. I removed the front end to see what my lowering options are, turns out I have the goofy forks that have the groove at the top that prevent adjusting the ride height and also the ability to remove the forks without removing the fork cap. That obviously had to be corrected.

I took them into the workshop at my job, put an angle grinder in the vice and ground down the fork caps little by little until they were flush with the fork tubes.

I also had to do to the same in the lower clamp. Smoothing that pesky lip.

I've got a good size pile of parts that won't be needed anymore now.

I wasnt expecting this to show up until Monday! So I got a nice little surprise checking the mail today. Still looking for some straight bars but I'll be able to have an assembled front end with the new stem mounted by the end of the weekend.

My plan is to cut the factory handlebars down tube just above the through bolt location for easy installation/removal later. I will have to shave about 2mm on the bmx stem to fit securely around the remaining section of tube. Then attach my bars and controls.

Any suggestions on where to find a nice looking dirt bike master cylinder and matching left hand control I can use with nice adjustable lever options? This rubber brake line has to go for one, and I really want some adjustable shorty levers.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #7

Had about an hour and a half before the maintenance guys closed up the shop today. I just barely got what I wanted to finish done today but I'm feeling great!

First, clamped my stock handlebars in the vice.

Cut the down tube leaving as much straight length as possible to adjust the height later if needed.

Also removed the steering lock since, well.. without a key it doesnt serve much purpose and just takes up space.

Used a little redneck ingenuity, because sometimes.. you just gotta improvise. Especially when you don’t have a lathe laying around. Let the pipe free spin on an oiled section of pvc with cap in the vice to take off the 2-3mm I needed to allow the stem to fit.

Not sure if the video worked or not, but we'll see.

"Borrowed" the handlebars off my mountain bike to test fit everything, they have a very low rise.

I lowered the forks about 3" in the front, that's about the maximum I feel comfortable with and still having enough usable clearance. I'm going to look for some shorter shocks to bring the rear down to level it out as well.

During down time at work today, I was looking for paint ideas and I'm consiering something like this.

Also found some brake and "clutch" (rear brake) hardware to clean up my handlebars, once i get some I like. Came across these today and absolutely LOVE them. If they had a set with dual hydraulic cylinders, I'd put them on my daily bike.

Until next time.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #8

Sweet man im likeing the build
Old 01-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #9

Thanks bud! I feel so restless without any parts yet having a few days off now lol. My exhaust, carb jet assortment and handlebar switch were in Illinois on the 10th so, fingers crossed I get some packages showing up by the weekend!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #10

My handlebar switch came today! Check out the HUGE difference between the stock one and how much more streamline the new one looks.

I can't wait to get those black and blue adjustable levers, then I'll have a matching set and can put this cable brake lever back on my mountain bike lol.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #11

WOO!! My exhaust FINALLY got delivered last night. I cut the header pipe down buuuut I'm not really happy with the lines it has.

The sound is great though, has a nice rumble to it now. When I get the chance I'm going to load up my scoot, welder and a few metal cutting tools and cut up the exhaust header into a handful of pieces and extend the pipe out at an upward angle like I've seen on most of the ruckus scoots.

At the same time I'm going to cut the pipe virtually in half to make a shorty can. It'll fix the aesthetic I'm going for, and also make me re-rivet the end cap on because it rattles like crazy. Not surprised, for being only 20$.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #12

Great looking work I always like a custom look and a one of a kind bike...
Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #13

Thanks! It's been really cold anytime I have a day off. So I havent been that motivated lately, I'm still waiting on my assortment of jets =[. It's been like 3 weeks I'm afraid they're gonna have to resend some all the way from China.

Looks like it;s time to hurry up and wait. I'll try to get the exhaust reshaped sometime this week.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #14

I still haven't gotten my package of jets, and I'm waiting on my new set of levers and master cylinder.

I think it's safe to say my jets got lost in the postal chain somewhere. I find it hard to believe it takes 3 weeks to get to Florida from Michigan, even with all that snow. *sigh*

I hate waiting =\.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #15

A Small update, but an update none the less. The new master and brake lever set came yesterday and I couldn't be happier! They have a real solid sturdy feel more like a street bike then the lackluster ones from the factory.

I just need to order a braided brake line and get it bled, I don't trust those rubber ones with my life and I'll at least be able to start and stop at this point!

Stillllll waiting on the carb jets, I should have just gotten them locally *sigh* Have to wait until Friday before I can even say they never came from eBay. Hopefully they will resend some quickly. Fingers crossed!!!

How do you guys like these new controls?