Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Hello from Kokomo, Indiana

Hello everybody. Joined up as I am going back to riding scooters. My wife and I started out on 50cc scooters back in 2010, moved up to larger 150 then 250cc scoots, then got motorcycles. I have grown tired of my heavy motorcycle, the heat that comes up from the engine making hot weather riding uncomfortable and not enjoyable like it used to be. I have put my bike, a '82 Honda GL500I Silverwing Interstate up for sale and am looking at getting another Honda Helix like I used to have. It was comfortable for someone who is long legged, enough power for road trips and I can fit a pizza in the truck! I have Asperger's Syndrome, a type of high functioning autism. I have found that a nice quiet scooter is my favorite and best way of getting around. I have my pickup truck for the snowy days or when its to cold to ride. I rode more when I had my last Helix as it was better behaved in cold weather than my MC is. Got plenty of reading to do here and if anybody knows someone in my area looking for clean turn key older MC, send them my way so I can get back to scooting! Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

Welcome to ScootDawg, I think you'll like it here!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #3

Welcome! Ah, the Helix, fond memories. I owned 2. Both did crazy high miles but both also died horrible deaths. One low sided, hit a guard rail and over she went. The other one rear ended a car going to fast in the rain. I thought about getting another one but I think Im jinxed. Had a Qlink (CF Moto built) Commuter 250cc Helix clone and lets just say all it had in common with a real Helix was looks. Ended up donating it to a thrift store with only 5000 miles in 2 years. I currently have a Suzuki Burgman 200, and aside from a few annoying transmission issues I love it. Also have a Adly RT50 that does not get ridden much and my wife has a Can-Am Spyder. Here we get to ride year round but I have gotten soft in my older age and will not hesitate to jump in the truck if its to hot or cold!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #4

looked at a Kymco Downtown 300 at a dealership in Indy today after my wife's Dr apt. Nice scoot, kind of a Honda Reflex on Roids. My wife had a Reflex, I liked it but found it a bit cramped on long trips. The Helix was more comfortable. I only wanted a taller backrest when we went on long trips. The Kymco is really nice, and really expensive. I will be getting whatever I can find when and IF I can get my old GL500I sold. No bites so far. Thanks Mike