Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 10-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #1

Crawford I love your questions. If the exhaust valve IS bent, it is very, very slight. Yes, I moved the valve up and down in the guide several times while the head was off. I noticed nothing wrong then; but you make a good point. Fooled with it today. The timing key on the flywheel was fine, the Intake valve was fine. Compression seems to be fine (between 160 and 170)...but that doggone exhaust valve still is losing its' clearance. I find when I adjust the valve clearance really wide, it seems to stay where I put it, but if I adjust it where it is supposed to be, it gets super tight and the valve is in the opening stage. I do NOT know exactly how much it is open, but it is not right at any rate. The engine still is not starting as I found the engine was NOT pulling enough vacuum to pull fuel OUT of the fuel tank through the vacuum operated petcock. I moved air back and forth through it and I think it is OK now.
The engine WILL run however as I had it running on carb cleaner for about 8-12 seconds a couple weeks ago.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

what I'd probably do,.... run it a few minutes by spraying carb cleaner in into the carb. Or gas from a squeeze bottle, ... or a temp gas tank gravity feed to the carb (like from an old mower)... or plug the vacuum from the manifold and use a different vacuum source to cause the petcock to stay open. I'm thinking you need to run this thing a while and let it loosen up or break so you can ID the problem and fix it.
Stay after it, we'll get it going or find the reason why it won't.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #3

Part II ... duh, I just realized if it's a GY6 150 the tank will gravity feed by running a gas line from the tank directly to the carb... you can bypass the petcock ... if it's like the one I have. You can also take the air cleaner hose off and hand choke it to start and partially hand choke it to keep it running, by putting your hand over the intake of the carb.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Hi Roscoe I certainly appreciate the input. This engine has me a little frustrated because it defies just about all I do to it. I was mistakenly told that the CAM STOPPER PLATE on the Rocker assembly was a possible compression release mechanism. A forum member who was very good and does not appear to be around on here anymore (Alleyoop) had stated in a much earlier thread that it's purpose was to keep the engine from running backwards. I have altered it and now may need to reinstall a standard one.

Last edited by GrouchyOle'Man; 04-01-2018 at 09:49 AM.