Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

This Makes Total Sense

http://znenmotor.com/why-synthetic-m...otor-scooters/

Since Chinese scooters are manufactured from a mix of recycled and virgin metals, synthetic oil will penetrate some areas of the engine but not in others. As a result, some areas will have a build-up of deposits while offering minimal protection in other areas of the engine

I don't necessarily agree with all the sentiments but knowing that we change our oil frequently it makes little sense to me to spend twice as much for oil I'll dump frequently.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

Thought Provoking and Needs Discussion

This article posted on Znen's website,which obviously endorsed by the manufacturer is disturbing to me from many points. I intend to share my thoughts and seek everyone's input on this very controversial subject.

The controversy of crude vs synthetic oil I will not go into, but the other factors they state I will since I find them safety related. For those that do not know Znen, they are supposedly a premium manufacturer in China and their scooters are imported / sold by Valley Scooters in Georgia.

Since Znen is making these statements publicly we must assume that "lower quality China scooter manufacturers" are at best the same.

Quote:
First, the engine design uses recycled metals which is not high quality compared to the metals used in engines that run on synthetic oil.
Recycling of metals for cars, appliances has been a fact of manufacturing since before WWI, and plastics sometime in the 1970's from my recollection.

The manufacturers using recycled materials are very careful to "purify" the product and remove any contamination or impurities. This process leaves a product that is as good as virgin and in some cases better than virgin materials.

What Znen is saying to me is they don't purify their materials and the quality of the end product is in question. Why this is a safety issue, is IF Znen and other Chinese manufacturers operate this way in one material, do they operate this way on all materials? Even the steel in the frames could be too low of quality and break or bend under less than specified weights or stresses.

Quote:
This will result to the build up of deposits around the engine.
I have witnessed the results of 7500 mile oil changes in many European cars that spec'd synthetic oils and were driven further than the stated oil change intervals. Deposits in them were no greater than those of crude oil, and in most instances were far less.

Quote:
The second reason is that Synthetic oils were initially designed for race cars and motorcycles, to protect the engines that run for several hours at extremely high rpms.
The typical scooter rider / driver that I see has two throttle positions they use- idle and full throttle. They do this mainly because they need the power to maintain safe road speeds. Weight of the rider / driver is subset reason, but power is the main reason. So for Znen to suggest that these little engines don't run a high rpm, to me that is just nonsense.

Quote:
Most of us who have Chinese-made mopeds are aware that these makers of Italian and Japanese models recommend the use of synthetic oil in their scooters. The engines of these models are manufactured from higher quality materials and have closer fitting parts and higher tolerance level so synthetic oil is most applicable to their engines. That is another reason those scooters are so much more expensive.
Here Znen is clearly saying they are manufacturing an inferior product to Italian and Japanese manufacturers and they know it to be inferior. As many of us know this would include the Taiwan manufacturers as higher quality to the Chinese manufacturers as well.

Quote:

The less expensive Chinese scooters have a great engine; we simply need to use regular motor oil and not synthetic oils.
The big question here for me is that all newer Chinese products should now be suspect as being of poor or inferior quality raw materials, and manufacturing technologies and we should understand that they are a "price point" manufacturing country and NOT one concerned with quality and safety.

I invite everyone to contribute to this as we need input from others and different view points for a thorough discussion of this development and disclosure by Znen.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #3

Never heard that opinion before. I would think that mainland Chinese engines are designed to run on the most affordable lubricants available.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #4

I think many of the statements made by the author are sweeping generalities. I have 9,500 miles on my GY6 and it isn't burning oil or making rude noises. So I don't think the engines are inferior, just cheaply constructed.

Another thing I've noticed recently. While many people think the state of Chinese scooters is stagnation a strange thing has happened. Formerly GY6 engines were carrying designation 157QMJ or 1P57QMJ. I've noticed on a few spec charts the newer 150s are designated BN157QMJ and called GY7s.

http://bintelliscooters.com/product....lli+Fury+150cc

I don't know why the author chose to imply that Chinese scooters were made from cheap scrap metal but the idea that Petro based oils better serve the engine is an interesting conjecture.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull View Post
The big question here for me is that all newer Chinese products should now be suspect as being of poor or inferior quality raw materials, and manufacturing technologies and we should understand that they are a "price point" manufacturing country and NOT one concerned with quality and safety.
Was this ever in doubt...? I say kudos for admitting it openly. Actually makes them sound like an honest manufacturer instead of a scheming foreign entity trying to rob you blind (the image most people have of Chinese manufacturers, I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
I don't know why the author chose to imply that Chinese scooters were made from cheap scrap metal...
Apparently Znen agrees...?

BTW, that Fury is pretty sweet!