Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #1

Scooters and Image (What are your stories?)

I'm new to the world of scooters and I find myself curious and looking to brace for the worst. After all, people are shallow, materialistic, and aggressively conformist.

That said, do you guys get the sort of flak that's stereotypically directed at scooter owners? I know the harley crowd and that sort of clique will never be sweet and kind to outsiders or what they perceive as "imitators," but I mean in general. Has your choice of a scooter over hottest new mustang or whatnot ever aversely affected you? Conversely, has it ever been a boon? I'd love to hear your stories. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Zouflain; 06-14-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Never fails what formating I use, it never works :(
Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

Hi,

Others will tell you they have had issues and I don't doubt them.
I have never had "mean spirited" stuff thrown at me and I put in tons of miles. I ride with other scoots and have scooted with my HD friends no issue.

You get back what you project, I'm confident with my choice of bike and most HD types, and I was once one, like that.

Yep there are butt-heads out there but the rare comment doesn't bother me. When it happens I wave or make a little joke. I've dealt with far worse.

All the best.

Be Big,
AMAC

SYM RV200 Evo
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
MC-95-250 Reverse Trike

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/amac1680/rv200-evo
Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #3

Zouflain

I owned a Harley FXSTD for 13 years and enjoyed riding it. When I hit 68, I decided to get something lighter and more manageable. Last year, I sold the Harley and bought a People 150. I rode it all summer, and really enjoyed it. The only downside was the limited (60mph) top end on the interstates. Last fall I sold the 150, and in January I bought a GTI300. I never looked back. My only regret is that I didn't buy a scooter sooner. Most Harley riders are pretty decent folks, and you can just ignore the others. Ride safe.
Shad SH40 cargo topcase
Additional 12 volt accessory plug
Iridium spark plug
Dr Pulley 14gr sliders

Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Hi
I ride what makes me happy, i could care less what others may think
And i love own and ride motorbikes of all shapes and sizes
http://www.scootdawg.net/album.php?albumid=9
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #5

Just get yourself a vintage Topper scooter made by Harley-Davidson. (They won't be able to say anything! )

Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #6

Don't think that scooter owners aren't part an parcel to this type of behavior either. Try to take your scooter to a Vespa club if you want to see brand snobbery as bad as, if not worse, than the new typical Harley riders.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
Don't think that scooter owners aren't part an parcel to this type of behavior either. Try to take your scooter to a Vespa club if you want to see brand snobbery as bad as, if not worse, than the new typical Harley riders.
You speak the truth sir.

Be Big,
AMAC

SYM RV200 Evo
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
MC-95-250 Reverse Trike

Old 06-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

I hate to say it ....but yeah, Vespa snobbery is pretty bad. I just race em' for pink slips (End up selling more Vespas that way )
Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #9

My Girlfriend and I started riding our scooters about a year and a half ago. We really love it, and we get "the wave" from mostly our biker brothers, but recently are getting some responses from our fellow scooterists. It made us feel good to get it from the bikers, and I am sure the scooterists at this point are just ignorant. That is to say, we have not felt disrespected or slighted by anyone here in our small community. We do get a lot of looks, and questions from bikers and cagers alike, but so far it's all been good, except of course from the occasional crappy drivers, but I get that when driving a car too! I am sure there are some negative people out here, but none that we really can see so far. Maybe we just love riding so much we can't tell! Anyway, just get out there and enjoy, be positive and friendly and you will get it back... Most of the time anyway!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #10

I have the mc-54-250b roketa scooter, I ride for the most part year round and I love riding and I'm like Hank (I don't care what others think) For the most part I too get the wave from other bikers, Hey, not too long ago I broke down and a HD guy stop to help me, took me to work and later pick up my scoot and took it home for me. (How about that), of course you have some that stub you, but if they would only try a scooter, they would be amazed how much fun they are!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #11

Harley riders get kind of a bad rap. At this point the HD guy is far more likely to be at a charity poker run than a brawl.

By the time I sold the Harley I had gone at least 30 years without a black eye...!

Be Big,
AMAC

SYM RV200 Evo
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
MC-95-250 Reverse Trike

Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #12

Harley Davidson..... Helping Middle-age White Guys Overcompensate since 1913

"Pittsburgh's Premier Scooter Dealer"
Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #13

Great topic. I just wrote about this myself on the blog. Yea, self promotion sucks but whatever. I'm to lazy to cut and paste.

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/2...-scooters.html
Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #14

who cares, I just ride

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #15

There are a lot of conformists and "me toos" out there but the genuine people exist. You just need to to be persistent to find them. Ride what works for you and don't worry about what others say.