Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #1

Crying Battery drain

??? how would I go about tracking down what is draining my battery. My scooter sits for 4 days each week without running. During that time the battery completely drains. I just replaced it a month or so ago, but the old one did the same thing. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

I had the exact same problem. Every time I dropped the scooter off the motorhome the battery was dead. Ate up a few batteries while I tried to locate the drain with a volt meter. Could not locate a drain anywhere so I cut the plus line to battery and put a single pole single through cut off switch in line. Worked great. Now, I replaced the stator on the scooter two weeks ago. Battery has not drained and I am not using the cut off switch. Makes me think the stator was the problem as I had other problems, since new, that are gone now.
Dan
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockie View Post
??? how would I go about tracking down what is draining my battery. My scooter sits for 4 days each week without running. During that time the battery completely drains. I just replaced it a month or so ago, but the old one did the same thing. Thanks
Woops, I forgot to answer your question. You use a volt meter to check everything with key turned off.
Dan

Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea, quick fix anyway.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wd0afq View Post
I had the exact same problem. Every time I dropped the scooter off the motorhome the battery was dead. Ate up a few batteries while I tried to locate the drain with a volt meter. Could not locate a drain anywhere so I cut the plus line to battery and put a single pole single through cut off switch in line. Worked great. Now, I replaced the stator on the scooter two weeks ago. Battery has not drained and I am not using the cut off switch. Makes me think the stator was the problem as I had other problems, since new, that are gone now.
Dan
I am putting in a switch tomorrow. Ignition switch no longer stops motor in off position. I have to use kill switch. I have removed radio, security system and remote start. Still ohm meter says there is a drain on the battery of some sort.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #6

Does it have one of those built in "security" systems? I read somewhere that those are really bad for fouling up.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #7

Have you tried un-hooking your fully chared battery...letting it sit the 4 days... then checking the voltage? Just because the battery is new....doesn't mean it's a good one

Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #8

There is not a drain on the battery now. I put a heavy duty off- on switch on my positive cable. Now, all I have to do is remember to use it. I suspect that the problem is the ignition switch. Scoot will not shut off by it anymore. Thanks for the fix Dan.

Rockie
Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockie View Post
There is not a drain on the battery now. I put a heavy duty off- on switch on my positive cable. Now, all I have to do is remember to use it. I suspect that the problem is the ignition switch. Scoot will not shut off by it anymore. Thanks for the fix Dan.

Rockie
You are welcome. I even unhooked my digital clock but no help. I never could find a discharge big enough to read on my multimeter for some reason. Anyway, the switch will do the trick. My buddy has indentical scooter to mine and he has same battery drain on it. No doubt you need a new ignition switch. They can be bought cheap.
Dan