Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #16

Hey I ride a Vespa and I'm not a snob. I can say I get more surprised looks of bewilderment as I leave most bikes in a cloud of blue smoke than insults.

Spandi when do we race. I prefer mountain passes and road tracks, let me know...

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #17

I have a SYM RV250, red, with a larger windshield, GPS unit, and nice large top box and when I park it next to a motorcycle, there's not much difference in size at all! While riding, I don't think people really know what it is...some kind of combination of a cruiser and a sport bike...?! Unless they hear me take off, they don't have a clue. I'm riding and keeping up with them, getiing off very well from stop signs and lights, and it's well lit with bright headlight and fog lights as well, with halo lights around the headlight...and a nice, big bright rear light. I went to a local cemetery to pay my respects to various people that I know in there, and parked next to two Harley Davidsons. I walked around and saw the Harley guys at a new grave that happened to be their Mom. I told them how sorry I was and we all walked back to our bikes. They immediately turned their attention to my scoot and after checking it out, gave me a thumbs up and a "cool"! I told them that I used to ride big bikes, but as I have gotten older, this works best for me. One of them spoke up and said, "Hey, it's cool Bro...you still got the wind in your face and you're on two wheels!" Ride on!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #18

Two wheels is two wheels ...

I have found the worst in my community is the people who think you are only riding a scooter because of a DUI or something like that ... I have "Other" reasons for riding my 50cc scoot .. Yet my scoot gets call a "dui ride" or a "dui scoot" more often than I care to admit, but that is 99% of the time by cagers, and not two wheelers ..

Just about every two wheeler I pass or talk to either waves or gives the thumbs up.

It is just people in general, they want to see bad reasons for everything they don't understand ...

And most people who ride two wheels on a regular bases, powered or un-powered , are a friendly group ...

Old 07-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher64 View Post
Two wheels is two wheels ...

I have found the worst in my community is the people who think you are only riding a scooter because of a DUI or something like that ... I have "Other" reasons for riding my 50cc scoot .. Yet my scoot gets call a "dui ride" or a "dui scoot" more often than I care to admit, but that is 99% of the time by cagers, and not two wheelers ..

Just about every two wheeler I pass or talk to either waves or gives the thumbs up.

It is just people in general, they want to see bad reasons for everything they don't understand ...

And most people who ride two wheels on a regular bases, powered or un-powered , are a friendly group ...
Here in Virginia, it is against the law for people who have lost their license due to DUI to ride on a scooter. So, we don't have that going on here. Although, I have heard people comment that someone is riding a scooter because of losing their license, but they are not familiar with the law...and if they are doing so, they are breaking the law AGAIN!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar View Post
Here in Virginia, it is against the law for people who have lost their license due to DUI to ride on a scooter. So, we don't have that going on here. Although, I have heard people comment that someone is riding a scooter because of losing their license, but they are not familiar with the law...and if they are doing so, they are breaking the law AGAIN!
Yeah honestly I wish they would pass that in Indiana, gives people riding scooters for "other" reasons a bad rep ..

Here recently a guy beat a DUI charge on his scooter because , he did not need a license, and they are still considered "Motorized Bicycles", so he beat it down to public intoxication .. Still does not mean he was not a menace ..

On a funnier note, a guy beat a speeding ticket on his 50cc scoot, he was going 43 and they gave him a ticket, because the law says "Capable of 25 MPH on a flat surface", he made them define a flat surface, and the road he was on had a like a 9 degree decline .. LOL

Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootnwinn View Post
Hey I ride a Vespa and I'm not a snob. I can say I get more surprised looks of bewilderment as I leave most bikes in a cloud of blue smoke than insults.

Spandi when do we race. I prefer mountain passes and road tracks, let me know...
I would, but just how do you expect me to ride TWO scoots back down a mountain?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #22

The only negative I have heard was from a guy driving a big 4wheel drive pu. He yelled out learn how to ride a real motorcycle. It struck me as funny since my Goldwing has been my principle ride for a decade. I really like the convenience of the scoots. The are much cooler in the summer (a bit of an issue in Phoenix), they are light, easy to move around, easy to work on. I got hooked when I restored a Piaggio BV 200 for my old boss. Since then I have fixed up 6 scoots that I have given to women in my church (the Scooter Belles) and have four in the garage. I like anything on 2 wheels, but a truck is really useful.

Ride safe,

FinalJudgement
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #23

Harley riders above the age of 20 are usually pretty cool. I have gotten the occasional off comment from them, but they usually STFU once hear 70mpg.

Street bikers are the second-worst, often pushing me off the road, and blasting me with exhaust, and of course loudly calling me a homosexual.

Young kids in "tuner" cars (ie any POS Honda) are terrible, pushing me off the road, throwing sodas, shouting insults ect. But I do think that's just how that crowd acts, I don't think they reserve such behavior for scooters and their riders.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
Young kids in "tuner" cars (ie any POS Honda) are terrible, pushing me off the road, throwing sodas, shouting insults ect. But I do think that's just how that crowd acts, I don't think they reserve such behavior for scooters and their riders.
I had that happen to me the other night. I ride a Kymco Xciting 500 and some young punks pulled up next to me at a light. Started disparaging the ride and being dicks (trying to impress the young ladies in back for sure).

The light goes green.

BYE!!!!

Next light there is a kid in the car. Now what I didn't tell them and hoped they did know was the police like to hang out up the road a bit. I turn the throttle, he reeves the engine.

The light goes green......

I just along letting him race down the road. Yes sir! The police were there and watching.

I love it when something actually works out for a change.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandi View Post
Just get yourself a vintage Topper scooter made by Harley-Davidson. (They won't be able to say anything! )
Good one spandi,BTW how do you keep one running long enough to let your co-workes see ya riding it?

I do get a little slack form some people and all i say is...
"Ahhh and your truck gets 87 MPG too, right?" and all of a sudden real life smacks them in the face.

Funny thing is none, not one of the guy's and gales that drive a bike give me a hard time.. not one, and most drive a HD.

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #26

Last week, in my weekend MSF motorcycle safety class, most students wanted to get a Harley, or already had one. I like Harleys and prefer to buy American, but I don't feel like wrestling a 550 lb bike in rush hour traffic. Maybe I'll end up with a Buell Blast. They are a bit faster than a Topper or Hummer.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrball View Post
Good one spandi,BTW how do you keep one running long enough to let your co-workes see ya riding it?

I do get a little slack form some people and all i say is...
"Ahhh and your truck gets 87 MPG too, right?" and all of a sudden real life smacks them in the face.

Funny thing is none, not one of the guy's and gales that drive a bike give me a hard time.. not one, and most drive a HD.
Thanks! (glad you got a kick out of it.)
Old 07-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #28

They sell Hummer golf carts and quads, so a Hummer scooter could work.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
Street bikers are the second-worst, often pushing me off the road, and blasting me with exhaust, and of course loudly calling me a homosexual.

Young kids in "tuner" cars (ie any POS Honda) are terrible, pushing me off the road, throwing sodas, shouting insults ect.
Woah, there's a lot of A-holes around there! People here generally mind their own business. Last year I was driving to work on a warm night around 11:30pm. A car loaded with people pulled up next to me with the windows down. I cringed a little when the passenger yelled "Hey!"
I said "Sup?" and then he offered me a beer!
I graciously delcined since I was on the way to work, but I love run-ins like that.

Usually there's so much traffic here, nobody can do much to you as you zip down the bike lane.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
I had that happen to me the other night. I ride a Kymco Xciting 500 and some young punks pulled up next to me at a light. Started disparaging the ride and being dicks (trying to impress the young ladies in back for sure).

The light goes green.

BYE!!!!

Next light there is a kid in the car. Now what I didn't tell them and hoped they did know was the police like to hang out up the road a bit. I turn the throttle, he reeves the engine.

The light goes green......

I just along letting him race down the road. Yes sir! The police were there and watching.

I love it when something actually works out for a change.
God I love stories like that!

~SM