Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

49 cc scooter belt replacement

Hello Everyone,
I have some questions, With these cheap 49 cc Chinese scooters when is right time and / or mileage to change the belt to a well known name brand? as well as the rollers, variators and adjust the valves? So far at 800 Miles I have changed the oil 3 times, the rear gear oil 2 times, Replaced 1 battery and most recently the spark plug. I am looking at about a 40% loss of brake pads so far I was told at about 1300 miles to have the brakes looked at again for possible replacement.

All in all, I have had little trouble with my scooter. It now starts easily since I changed out the spark plug. I have yet to have been stranded but as I see the mileage going up, I wonder how long "stuff" like the drive belt lasts.

I bet the factory puts on cheap ones.

I wish I had the funds to buy a Honda or Yamaha I know these are much better built. BUT I only use the scooter for pleasure riding. We go around our community and the area we ride has a lake and about 20 miles of riding we can do safely around that lake and adjoining neighborhoods and parks by being on streets that are 35 mph or less. I bought this scooter brand new 13 months ago.

IF I needed a scooter for daily transportation I would probably have gotten a Honda. But were retirees and this is purely a pleasure vehicle. So I went on the cheap and bought a Chinese scooter.

I am though not wanting to be left stranded with a snapped belt or another issue. so, what is recommended in your opinion in the near future?

I do have a owners manual BUT.. I really don't trust what maintenance schedules they show, for example, my manual says at 3,000 to inspect the belt. I have no idea BUT IF I have a cheap belt from the factory I doubt I would get 3,000 miles out of it.

I am surprised how well my scooter runs, drives and starts it is a JiaJUe Gator 50.

Just got back tonight from a 30-mile round trip no issues Started right up rode well accelerated with ease and idles nicely.

I also like the look of the scooter.

I also read that Brintelli owns Jiajue. Is that correct??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #2

The belt inspect is a measurement of belt width, not a replacement. Belts last around 10,000 miles on average. Some will hit 15-20,000 before they snap, but you will usually notice a loss of top speed first. Other things, like valve checks are just that-check and adjust if needed. As long as you keep up the oil changes, valve checks and other service work you should be fine. Some China scooters are better than others. I dont know many of the companies and have never worked on one. A few people at my work have them and they have been reliable as far as I can tell. Need to see what brands they are.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
The belt inspect is a measurement of belt width, not a replacement. Belts last around 10,000 miles on average. Some will hit 15-20,000 before they snap, but you will usually notice a loss of top speed first. Other things, like valve checks are just that-check and adjust if needed. As long as you keep up the oil changes, valve checks and other service work you should be fine. Some China scooters are better than others. I dont know many of the companies and have never worked on one. A few people at my work have them and they have been reliable as far as I can tell. Need to see what brands they are.
Thank You for the input. I figured the usage on the belt would be much better IF these cheap scooters had name brand belts like a Gates belt. The belt is my biggest worry. When I had the brakes checked last week I was told they are still good and have about 60 % or more left. They drove my scooter and checked it and said the valves seemed good ( no ticking) in general all was in decent shape. I think though I am going to change the belt out or have it done and put a name brand one on.
For a "off-brand" scooter, it runs well starts right up and runs well and gets up to 42 mph and runs well even at that speed.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 AM   #4

Just make sure if you buy a brand name belt that its the right size. I always hear about people using different size belts to achieve different results, but stock size is best. Gates, Bando, Mitsuboshi, Malossi (re-branded) are all good belts. Sure there are others but this is all I use/have experience with. If your concerned about the belt failing, order one now and keep it handy until the OEM one breaks. I still have a bunch of new belts hanging in my garage. Genuine Buddy 125 kevlar belt, Honda Silverwing belt (wife has one), Suzuki Burgman 200 belt (found a spare after giving away the scooter), Yamaha Zuma 50cc 2-stroke belts (5 extras at last count, and I sold my last Zuma) and a Honda Helix belt-last Helix I owned was in 2000! Oh, and a crazy money Can-Am Spyder belt for the RT my wife traded in. I thought it was a timing belt for my Subaru! Im in the process of downsizing.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #5

The stock belt on my 150cc GY6 needed replacement at 2500 miles. It could be that your Jiajue has a Gates belt already since Gates belts are made in China these days. My Gates Aramid replacement got replaced at 8,000 miles since it was six years old at that point and I didn't want to risk it thought the belt was still in good condition.

Valve adjustment/inspection should be done at 1,000 miles or so. A 50cc GY6 only has a clearance of .002 inch to start with and can use that up pretty quickly. After the initial adjustment it will go another 2,000 miles before needing a look at an may just be holding fine.

It is a common myth that a brand name scooter will outlast a Chinese 50cc but it isn't so. The 50cc GY6 was originally designed at 80cc and was debored to 50cc since it was a more common size. Many of the 50cc scooters are going outrageous mileages and running strong.

Several years ago I saw a picture of a two year old Bintelli 50cc with 20,000 miles on the clock and running strong. Three years ago I also saw a story of a young man with zero mechanical finesse riding a used Bintelli Scorch 50cc from Michigan to Key West with no breakdowns. The Chinese have virtually taken over the 50cc market and brand name offerings are slowly disappearing as a result.

Don't worry that it's Chinese and enjoy the ride. It will be running for a good, long time.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
The stock belt on my 150cc GY6 needed replacement at 2500 miles. It could be that your Jiajue has a Gates belt already since Gates belts are made in China these days. My Gates Aramid replacement got replaced at 8,000 miles since it was six years old at that point and I didn't want to risk it thought the belt was still in good condition.

Valve adjustment/inspection should be done at 1,000 miles or so. A 50cc GY6 only has a clearance of .002 inch to start with and can use that up pretty quickly. After the initial adjustment it will go another 2,000 miles before needing a look at an may just be holding fine.

It is a common myth that a brand name scooter will outlast a Chinese 50cc but it isn't so. The 50cc GY6 was originally designed at 80cc and was debored to 50cc since it was a more common size. Many of the 50cc scooters are going outrageous mileages and running strong.

Several years ago I saw a picture of a two-year-old Bintelli 50cc with 20,000 miles on the clock and running strong. Three years ago I also saw a story of a young man with zero mechanical finesse riding a used Bintelli Scorch 50cc from Michigan to Key West with no breakdowns. The Chinese have virtually taken over the 50cc market and brand name offerings are slowly disappearing as a result.

Don't worry that it's Chinese and enjoy the ride. It will be running for a good, long time.

Great advice!!! Thank You!!! I will have the belt checked. I also think I bought a good scooter! I was told that JiaJue is also part of Brintelli??

When I drive the scooter it accelerates strong and gets up to 40+ mph easily with no chugging, ticking or weird noises.

I was told that not having issues, especially when getting near 40 mph is an indication of no issues with the belt because IF I had issues it would not accelerate easily and I would hear or feel the belt under my feet, and my scooter would be a bit sluggish which it is not.

so, My plan is to check it soon, and when I get near 1200 mi get the brakes done and have the scooter rechecked and replace what's needed. It has so far been a great scooter and changing the spark plug 2 weeks ago really revived how well it runs, starts and even idles. So glad I did that!
Old 09-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

"I was told that JiaJue is also part of Brintelli??"

Bintelli rebadges Jiajue scooters with their name plate. Bintelli also controls QC on the ones they buy. They switched from Znen to Jiajue after reports that the quality on Jiajue was superior to Znen.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.