Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

Battery charged no power when key on

Scooter and RKS have been very helpful before with my Piaggio Typhoon 50, so hopefully they or someone will have a simple answer. (RKS: my acceleration noise awhile back was from bad rollers. Resolved.)
Was having bogging again in hot, humidity so today finally cleaned the carb. After cleaning the carb, it started and ran very smoothly then I let it run and noticed that the fuel gauge wasn't working. Then cut it off and later tried to start but no power at all when key is on. No lights, nothing! Battery tests at 12.8V, main fuse was good, but replaced anyway. Checked for any wires loose and none. Any thoughts?? Here's a pic of the engine. Much thanks ahead!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scooter2.jpg (100.6 KB, 3 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 AM   #2

did the wire fall of the coil also see if maybe a wire is pinched in the frame somewhere from when bike is moving and bouncing something may have got caught and just because the battery reads 12.8v doesnt mean it can handle a load o would carefully inspect the kill switch wire if i was you then the CDI
Old 07-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #3

Thanks Big Bill. Before your response I gave up finding a broken wire or wire pinched and took it to a shop. They only found that one of the two fuses that I didn't know existed was blown, a 7.5. The 10 was OK. But they couldn't further test because when they pushed the ignition switch in to lower the cover for the 2 fuses it came loose and became disconnected. When I got the scooter home I replaced the 7.5 and the horn worked along with the lights and the fuel gauge. Then the 7.5 blew again so I got frustrated and put in a 10. Then the ignition switch got hot and blew, so I had to order a new ignition switch. I have no idea if I blew anything else by the 10 fuse. So just now I put the new ignition switch in, blinkers still work, no fuel gauge and the 7.5 blew again. It will kick start and runs great but when it does the fuel gauge nor headlights don't work. The stop switch will turn it off. I have a good Fluke meter and a circuit tester. I'm thinking of getting a 230 Short Buddy tester.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg typhoon wiring.jpg (86.0 KB, 1 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #4

So as mentioned, put in new ignition switch, new starter switch then started the scooter by spraying starter fluid into the intake/air filter and it started then started rapidly accelerating and smoke came out of the accelerator cable at the carb and handlebar! Carb got red hot!! Replaced the accelerator cable figuring it was grounding from the short, new throttle handle, gy6 automatic starter and still won't start. It has spark, we pulled the plug and cranked it against the engine block. So figured it was fuel problem, so pulling the gas line off the carb and cranking the engine fuel came out but none in carb bowl. Bought a new petcock, still wouldn't start. Sucked vacuum line, gas came out of fuel line but now when crank the engine gas doesn't come out of fuel line. Will not start with starter fluid now. I also put a new GY6 carb in to see if this was a carb issue but still turns over but won't start. Fuse doesn't blow anymore. The manual says there is a front and rear stop switch behind the start button, but I can't find it. All I see is an on/off switch. A new CDI for a Piaggio is between $200 and $250, big loss if that's not the answer. (Again this all started when I cleaned the carb and with the bike on the stand ran it right after cleaning the carb. It started and ran fine but I noticed that the fuel gauge or speedometer didn't work. I cut it off then tried to turn it on again and it wouldn't start, nothing because the 7.5 fuse was blown from some kind of short. Bike ran perfect, no problems before cleaning the carb which I've done many times before on another bike and mowers).

Last edited by skyrider; 08-15-2020 at 08:24 AM.