Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Suprise

I found out something recently that really shocked me! I asked my wife of almost 51yrs if she wanted to go (ride) to Daytona Bike Week. Now I always rode motorcycles & she always rode behind me , even before we were married (Laconia , Blessing of the Bikes , etc ) she told me that she didn't want to go & that she was scared to death riding. You could have knocked me over with a feather. She knew how much I like to ride & that's why she never said anything! My oldest daughter LOVES to ride & when she visits , she heads immediately for my Bike. I didn't think that my wife & I had any secrets but I feel guilty now! I used to always ride with one percenters because I got along with them. I'd think that now that we're in Florida & I have sowed my wild oats & completely settled down , she'd enjoy riding more but you can't ask someone to do something that they are afraid of! Irish

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

That's really too bad. My wife still enjoys the bikes.....she had to give up her horses after 35 or more years.....the old knees wouldn't take it anymore. I'm glad she still likes to ride with me, says it's a lot like riding the horses.....good for the soul.

Took this bike to our daughters on Easter, (60 mile round trip).....This is my solo-run bike, the one with the comfort passenger seat is not out for the season yet, so it was this bike or the car.....she said "let's take the bike". Don't think I could sit on that little jump seat for 35 or 40 minutes, but she says it isn't too bad. By the way Irish, we're only a few years younger than you....both of us in our late 60's, and our 50th anniversary is this September.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

One of the contributors might be that I'm riding my first Trike. Its a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/ a trike kit. When I bought it , it was just set up for one person. I added a passenger seat & sissy bar. Because it's a kit , it was a very short space. She said that it is very uncomfortable on long rides. Before this I bought a 250cc but I was very unhappy with it because I'm used to having power! With regular Motorcycles I had a habit of hugging the center lane. With the Trike , I have the same habit after many years of riding. That also scares her because with a trike the outer wheel is almost in the oncoming lane & as a passenger you have NO control! Irish
P.S. Congratulations on your 50yrs. Stick with it , there's not many of us left! It obviously doesn't run in the family because both of our daughters have been married , divorced , remarried. I guess I was just lucky enough to find a good woman! I wouldn't have stayed with me the crazy things that I did when I was younger!

Last edited by Irish; 04-03-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: addition of P.S.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I found out something recently that really shocked me! I asked my wife of almost 51yrs if she wanted to go (ride) to Daytona Bike Week. Now I always rode motorcycles & she always rode behind me , even before we were married (Laconia , Blessing of the Bikes , etc ) she told me that she didn't want to go & that she was scared to death riding. You could have knocked me over with a feather. She knew how much I like to ride & that's why she never said anything! My oldest daughter LOVES to ride & when she visits , she heads immediately for my Bike. I didn't think that my wife & I had any secrets but I feel guilty now! I used to always ride with one percenters because I got along with them. I'd think that now that we're in Florida & I have sowed my wild oats & completely settled down , she'd enjoy riding more but you can't ask someone to do something that they are afraid of! Irish
My wife told me that she just doesn't like riding in Florida because the people in cages drive so crazy! you can't enjoy the scenery as in N.E. because you can never take your eyes off of the road that long! Of course I ride as fast as I did in NH , so that probably doesn't help any. Irish
Old 09-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #5

My wife will not ride on the back. She drives her own scoot. I was surprised when she agreed to attend the Lone Star Rally with me.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
My wife will not ride on the back. She drives her own scoot. I was surprised when she agreed to attend the Lone Star Rally with me.
My wife rode with me for over 51yrs but she wants nothing to do with riding in Florida! She even rode with me until it got too cold for her in NH. My oldest daughter rides when she visits , but she lives in NH & has no idea how hazardous it is! She always rode with me in NH & it's completely different. Riding in the mountains is great. Unfortunately , there are no mountains in Florida. You're not one of those guys tho! Irish
P.S. On a scooter , you were probably never one of "those" guys anyway! In New England I always built & rode "choppers".
Old 10-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

No mountains in Florida, but there are some nice hilly rides between Tallahassee and Valdosta, GA. I discovered them by accident while driving from Pensacola to Savannah, GA, a few decades ago.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

Obviously , your age & family situation , make a BIG difference. My oldest daughter just visited. I took her for a ride & she is 49 now & has two kids , all I heard was-Slow down Dad & I never went over 50mph. It never bothered her when she was a kid. Irish
Old 11-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #9

Does make a difference. I turned in the motorcycle and rode bicycles while my kids were growing up.