Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

Going down...and getting back up again.

Without going into to much detail (things are still not settled), I went down a little over a month ago.

Since then I have had a lot of time to think and am considering my options. Right now I am leaning towards not riding. The risks to me don't seem worth the reward.

The scooter was not totaled and was repaired. I was banged up and am still recovering....but the mental state is shot.

So...if you went down....what did you do to get back up again?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

Quote:
So...if you went down....what did you do to get back up again?
When Dee went down, We would only ride on the back roads until...

She got her confidence back... that took about 3 weeks.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

Hi
In over 40 years of riding I've fallen wiped out and got into a few accidents
Imho its just a part of riding motorbikes
With that said I still will always ride I just make it a point to always wear full high quality riding gear always be aware of my surroundings be aware of my limits and practice extreme caution while on the road
Always ride ATGATT no matter the distance or speed

And take advantage of MSF courses to learn and keep your skills up to par I do so by taking refresher rider courses every couple of years
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx#&panel1-1
Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank

Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Banned

i have fallen once but it was my fault, i was speeding and it was drizzling plus i was right in the middle of the lane, where all the oil is from the cars. after that im just more careful when it is raining and i no longer ride in the middle of the street, i ride either on the right of the lane or left of the lane where there is no car oil on the lane. nothin happened to the scoot accept some scratches and as for me, i scraped my left forearm and i fell on my left side, next day i was over it mentally
Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

I went down twice on the road (numerous times in dirt).
First time on my Pacific Coast, slipped on some fuel/oil on the road starting out from a stop sign.
Second on my scooter (in snow, yeah I know). Both times I jumped up, and got back on the bike, mainly because I was not bleeding, and I didn't want the cops coming and making a scene.
I think the decision is enrtirely yours, if I was the least bit wary of riding, I probably wouldn't do it. Take it slow, ride around the block a few times and I bet you'll be fine.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

I went under a car and found myself looking up at the suspension. You have to decide what is right for YOU. It's not if, but when you'll go down. So I choose to ride, but wearing armored gear from head-to-toe.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #7

Lost my leg May 2012 (Yes, motorcycle related, got hit by a GMC Jimmy)
I can no longer ride on 2, but 3 works for me
it's all about your attitude
ride safe
enjoy life
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-30.jpg (88.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #8

I am a big believer in ATGATT. That is not the issue.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #9

DaveC- You must be pretty tough to get back on the horse after an accident like that.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Lost my leg May 2012 (Yes, motorcycle related, got hit by a GMC Jimmy)
I can no longer ride on 2, but 3 works for me
it's all about your attitude
ride safe
enjoy life

wow...your an inspiration, good luck to you
Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #11

If I had caused the accident I may have had different thoughts.
But, I was nothing more than collateral damage in a multi car accident.
(Truck hit a car head on, that car hit a car, the truck flipped on it's side and skidded towards me, hit me, I rolled 7 times, down the street/curb ending on the sidewalk, with no foot, and 4 surgeries later no L leg.)

I'm only 64, and still got a few good years left.
I'm more active now than before, doing chit I never woulda done had I not become an amputee
I swim, play volleyball, sledge hockey, bochi ball,softball with the paraplegics, batting cages, archery, (and on and on and on) certified VA Counselor, More active in the church, speaker at various churches telling 'my story', and comptroller of the Amputee Recreational Support Group of Central Ohio.

I drive all my cars (even the VW Bus, albeit a little difficult to shift), and the scoot. Still do oil changes and tune ups. And working on getting back on a bike/Goldwing by trike kit or whatever.

Got 4 g-kids to spoil and watch grow up (they're 8 10 12 and 15)
No time for sitting on the couch sucking my thumb feeling sorry for myself.

I'm not tough, just not smart enuf to know I'm not supposed to be more active than I was, and enjoy (meaning appreciate) life a whole lot more
And, no one said anything bout the GFY on my Tshirt.

And if ya really see some gross pictures, let me know.
They're enuf to scare off anyone

Life is good
Enjoy every minute of it

And, I apologize for any distraction from Houndogs accident

HOWEVER
Staying on track with the subject, it's each persons decision to ride again or not.
If you still enjoy riding, fine, if you have a family, wife, kids, that that need you more than you need to ride, by all means, don't ride. (that doesn't sound quite right, but you know what I mean)
But, whatever you do, do it the best you can
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accident 1.jpg (16.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg me in the hosp.jpg (69.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by DaveC; 02-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
wow...your an inspiration, good luck to you

My thoughts exactly! I know that phrase is thrown around a lot, but you really are an inspiration.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #13

I have been pronounced dead in a hospital (obviously didn't die),have repaired my bike while on crutches & have had numerous accidents (been riding since the '50s),but I LOVE to ride! I can't picture life without riding! I've never had a chargeable accident (maybe I have a target on my back) I have two daughters & 5 grandchildren. They all ride with me! I don't take one much because he is Autistic & I'm afraid that he'll fall. My father always told me that a cycle is like a horse-If you fall off , get right back on before you think about it! Irish
P.S. I ride a Trike conversion now because I'm 71 & my left leg doesn't work right!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #14

IMO, you are doing exactly what you should do as steps to getting back up. Instead of throwing in the towel and saying "no more..", you are asking what others have done. As has been said, if you ride, you will at some point go down, sometimes hard, sometimes soft. Look at the accident, and learn from it. If you could have done anything different that would have changed the outcome, make that change in your riding. If you simply could not have made a difference (and often, there isn't anything that you could have done) then take away that knowledge also. The fact that you are asking the question says a lot.. Whatever you decide, go in peace..