Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

this is why I am leary of the roads

An ambulette collided with an electric scooter in The Bronx early Tuesday, ejecting both riders and killing its driver, police said.

The 51-year-old driver of the Country Wide Trans Inc. ambulette was making a left turn onto Manor Avenue near 172nd Street in Soundview around 8:15 a.m. when he crashed into the scooter being ridden by two men, police said.

The scooter’s 25-year-old driver and his 42-year old passenger were both ejected.

They were rushed to Jacobi Medical Center, where the scooter driver was pronounced dead. His passenger, who police sources said suffered injuries to his legs and body, was listed in serious but stable condition, according to cops.

The ambulette driver remained at the scene and was not immediately charged.

A rep from Country Wide Trans Inc. could not immediately be reached.

==========================================

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. - A 73-year-old woman died after a pickup truck crashed into the scooter she was on Sunday morning in Lake County, according to officials from the Florida Highway Patrol.

Troopers said David Currie, 43, was driving a 2007 Honda pickup truck northbound on State Road 33 around 10:55 a.m. when he traveled onto the east shoulder then made a U-turn to travel south on State Road 33.

During the U-turn, Currie traveled into the direct path of 73-year-old Donna Newman, who was behind Currie on a 2005 Honda scooter, according to a crash report.

The front of the scooter struck the left side of the truck during the crash, officials said.

Newman was killed in the crash and Currie suffered minor injuries.

The crash is not believed to be alcohol-related. Troopers said the fatal crash is under investigation and charges are pending.

THESE ARE JUST A FEW REASONS I AM WORRIED OF DRIVING MY SCOOTER ON THE MAIN ROAD. Tough to go and enjoy it when your life is really in some one elses hands......JUST ONE MISTAKE COULD BE YOUR LAST... I know you cannot live in fear and I will go out and enjoy my scooter I just get scared I really do when I am on a fairly busy road and once I get near 20 mph it really feels like you are riding on the hood of your car....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLORENCE COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – A moped operator was killed in a two-vehicle crash Wednesday night in the Effingham area of Florence County.

According to information from South Carolina Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Matt Southern, the collision happened at 8:50 p.m. on S.C. 327 near Poor Farm Road.

Both a moped and a 2006 Chevy SUV were traveling southbound on S.C. 327. The SUV struck the moped, which resulted in the operator’s death, according to Southern.

He added the victim was not wearing a helmet or any type of reflective equipment.

The driver of the SUV was wearing a seatbelt and was not injured, according to information from the SCHP.

The crash remains under investigation by the highway patrol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

Look up how many auto fatalities there were between New York and Florida in that time. Being cautious is a good attribute but paranoia will keep you either in the house or on a bus. Although there have been some gruesome bus accidents lately. We have nothing to fear but fear itself.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #3

If ur really worried ... https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm

For us older folks the number one reason we show up in the emergency room is falls. Especially in the bathroom and off ladders... and those pesky throw rugs. A close friend of mine had triple bypass surgery yesterday he is 55 years old. He came through the operation OK it will be interesting if he can or will change his ways now. Here ya go, a training video, notice the mistakes made and do you best to not make them. ...

Old 10-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
Look up how many auto fatalities there were between New York and Florida in that time. Being cautious is a good attribute but paranoia will keep you either in the house or on a bus. Although there have been some gruesome bus accidents lately. We have nothing to fear but fear itself.
I'm 74yrs old (have been riding since 15) , have had countless accidents , & do not ride to be afraid. If you don't enjoy riding , you should hide under your couch! Irish
Old 10-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

There is always a convertible sports car. If you get worried about riding then take a safety course. Stupid drivers are everywhere. They can be on their cell phones, blasting music, driving under the influence, late getting somewhere, ever just driving while tired. Its OUR job as 2 wheel riders to pay total attention and try our best to avoid harm. A safety course will help you sharpen your skills.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #6

There is risk in everything you do. Weigh the risk, if you're not up to it, don't do it. You can lower the risk by always giving yourself an out. I expect everyone to do the wrong thing, and I try to give them room to do it. That has save me a couple times. I don't see them all, and one may get me some day, but there are many others that try but don't get me, I win.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
There is risk in everything you do. Weigh the risk, if you're not up to it, don't do it. You can lower the risk by always giving yourself an out. I expect everyone to do the wrong thing, and I try to give them room to do it. That has save me a couple times. I don't see them all, and one may get me some day, but there are many others that try but don't get me, I win.
Yrs ago. I took Driver Training (16-17 yrs old )because it was State Mandated in order to get my operators license back! (Moral: Radar is faster than you can drive )One of the biggest things learned was--Always leave yourself an " Out"! Irish