Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Slow off the line? 150cc

Hey guys, I am new to this forum but I have been in the scooter game for about 3 years now and have owned 5 scooters so far and 3 of them of have been 150cc GY6 scooters. The problem I am noticing is that my 2013 Puma Romeo 150cc scooter is kind of sluggish off the line in the 0-15 mph mark, but after that it is great! I have maintained it very well with oil changes every 300 miles to the proper oil level. So far I have about 1,100 miles on the scooter and the aftermarket parts I have is a NCY drive face, 10 gram Dr.Pulley Sliders, and a Gates Kevlar belt. I will say that I ride extremely aggressive and at full throttle or close to it 90% of the time, especially off the line and I am in the city in stop an go traffic alot. I am thinking it might be something with the clutch torque spring? Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #2

Periodically, the CVT (variator, belt and clutch) should be inspected and cleaned. Often, the "belt-dust" (particles of the belt) accumulates in the variator and clutch, and should be removed with compressed air and the belt should be inspected for wear and stretch. I replace my belt regardless of wear every 3000 miles.

Also it is good practice to SAND the shiny-ness off of the CLUTCH BELL SURFACE and the CLUTCH shoes when you inspect/clean the CVT.

But if you want you bike to be snappier off the line, replace the variator weights with lighter weights, or BEST, flat-slide type of LESS than you stock weights. If your bike is stock, the weights will be 14g. Try a set of 12 or 11g FLAT-SLIDER weights. A larger steep-angle variator such as a KOSO 115mm will greatly improve take off as well.

Lastly, AFTER you have done the variator, you could try a different clutch shoe and contra spring set, I like the red ones.

With my set up (list of parts on sig, my bike is my avatar pic) I can pull a mean hole-shot on dry road, and hit 60mph in 9 to 10 seconds.

I see you are using 10g weights, try going up to 11

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

Also you shouldn't ride the bike aggressively in the first 1000 miles. That's very bad for the engine, specifically the rings and the crankshaft bearings. I rarely hit WOT, as I have tuned my bike to be rather aggressive, it is not needed.

Have you done the carb mods? Those equal big gains in acceleration and are really cheap (20 bucks total)

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

No I have not done any carb mods. What do you recommend besides a rejet? Also I will clean it up with the CVT and see what that does. The belt is a new gates belt. Thanks for the advice. Also I don't know what your views are on break in, but over the past 2 new scooters I've owned I have always done a hard break in. I know that people have alot of different opinions on that. Here is what influenced my views on it that plus I have had no problems with the scooters I have owned.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Also I don't know what your views are on break in, but over the past 2 new scooters I've owned I have always done a hard break in. I know that people have alot of different opinions on that. Here is what influenced my views on it that plus I have had no problems with the scooters I have owned.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
i agree on a hard break-in....I always break my motors in hard and they seem to like it!.....The key to a good break-in is heat cycles........