Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #1

Start squeal / Plastic oilgear squeal GY6

Hi everyone,

I am getting a squeal using the electric starter. Sound disappears as soon as the engine starts. Scoot starts and runs great. Changed the startermotor for a brand new one, still squealing upon start. No abnormal marks on the teeth of the old startermotor. Will try other bendix today. What could be the cause of this squaling sound ? Belt too old 6k miles ? Sound: https://voca.ro/1iIm0v7PpK7W

Scooter is a Kymco Agility. Engine isn't original kymco just a GY6 139QMA 50cc. It has the original Kymco stator in it for DC. This setup has been working great for over 16k miles.

The original Kymco engine (KG 10 SA) got ruined because it had a plastic oil gear in it (can you believe that engine came with a PLASTIC oilpump gear). Around 20k miles the plastic teeth on this gear were nearly completely grinded down to nothing and also caused a very similar squaling noise before total engine failure at speed in traffic. Continuously though and proportionally to revs, slightly less high pitched and less loud.

Before i open up that entire side of the engine to get to the oilpump, i thought i ask you guys here for advice, and warn you about this plastic oilpump gear failure you could be getting down the road.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Kymcodingo; 10-07-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #2

You MAY get more response at Kymcoforums.com than here. This forum looks like it went into a coma a couple of years ago. There is/was a china scoot forum that was VERY active in the 50 cc bracket. That would be your best bet if it is still going. The Kymco guys tend to be much older and get cranky when people don't listen to answers to questions.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:57 AM   #3

Try this:

https://scooterdoc.proboards.com/

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2022, 09:28 PM   #4

It sounds like the starter clutch is defective. I'm not an authority but the clutch is on the left side behind the variator. Maybe pull the side cover and listen when you start it. Google repair manuals for a GY6 there are detailed manuals available online.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.