Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #1

2 stroke oil or mystery oil for 4 stroke engine

Read somewhere that using 2 stroke oil or Mystery oil (1oz) in every gallon of fuel is good for ensuring proper lubrication to the piston/cylinder 4 stroke engines gy6 especially for bbk upgrades. I've read too many times piston failure with installation of BBK. thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

Nope. Burning 2-stroke oil or Marvel Mystery oil is only going to deposit carbon inside the cylinder, which will make you engine hold heat, and potentially cause damage. The only time I have heard of people "oiling" the top-end is when the bike is in long-term cold storage, and then only a few squirts of Mystery oil through the spark-plug hole to ensure no rust forms in the cylinder during storage. I do not recommend doing this AT ALL.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Burning any oil in a gy6 will only make it cough and sputter and cause long-term damage.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #4

In the proper low concentration in fuel it works great. It doesn't deposit carbon in your cylinders it removes it. It also helps to lube the valves and if you have coked up rings it'll help free them. As an additive I find it's less harsh on soft parts like carb diaphragms and o-rings than Seafoam which has even stronger carbon removing and engine cleaning capabilities but none of the lubing properties that Marvel Msytery Oil has.

But personally I would never add it to engine oil. Good engine oil and a proper oil change routine are far better than any additives. But as far as fuel systems go Marvel Mystery Oil still has a place, especially with ethanol gas Marvel Mystery Oil helps to combat minor corrosion that the ethanol tends to produce due to ethanol's propensity to attract moisture. The oils in Marvel Mystery Oil help combat that moisture.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

Hi
Try seafoam instead
http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank

Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #6

I have heard of some using a sip of 2T oil for a 4T with bad rings .

Marvel Mystery has been around since the 20s or so . My auto repair instructor taught us about using it . Yes it will smoke if you put it in the gas tank but it burns off carbon in the heads and on the piston top . Put in the oil it lubes hydraulic lifters . It is not a " mechanic in a can " but it can fix some issues of neglect .

SeaFoam is a great product that actually works ! I put in a sip here and there to keep the fuel system clean . I have only used it that way and to clean dirty EFI injectors , but I have read where many use it instead of Stabil when winter storing a scooter . Walmart sells it cheaper than auto part stores do .
Old 11-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #7

Thanks all for the info...much appreciated!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #8

I don't understand the prejudice against Sta-Bil, I've been using it for decades and it has worked well for me. Having said that, there are/were 2 Sta-Bil blends, one for MTBE and another for Ethanol, using the MTBE blend in Ethanol gas won't protect you from emulsion when the water separates out in the carb bowl so you need to use the Ethanol blend. I put Sta-Bil in my gas everytime I fill a gerry can. My generator has fuel in it that's over 4 years old and everytime I start it it runs just fine. I will also note that most of my engines have fuel shut off valves and before I put them up I close the valve and run the carb out of gas, or I open the bowl drain on the bottom of the carb and empty it.