Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

battery dead?

I bought my scoot a few months ago and was running last week.i put the charger on it cause it only had six % charge.i charged it and it started right up.i just went out there and its dead again so its back on the charger.my fuse blew so I connected the fuse wires together.that woulnt drain my battery would it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint51 View Post
I bought my scoot a few months ago and was running last week.i put the charger on it cause it only had six % charge.i charged it and it started right up.i just went out there and its dead again so its back on the charger.my fuse blew so I connected the fuse wires together.that woulnt drain my battery would it?
ok heres whats going on.i went out and it started right away and let it run about six minutes.the lights were getting brighter and when I turned it off and put it back on the charger it was down to 70%.so my battery is draining running and when sitting for a few days.let me add that I had to add water to the battery.do you think there isn't enough acid in the battery?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint51 View Post
ok heres whats going on.i went out and it started right away and let it run about six minutes.the lights were getting brighter and when I turned it off and put it back on the charger it was down to 70%.so my battery is draining running and when sitting for a few days.let me add that I had to add water to the battery.do you think there isn't enough acid in the battery?
it sat for an hour and is dead already

Old 11-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to techie610
More than likely a bad battery. Get a Magma Glass Mat. Best battery you can have.
Skipping the fuse is not really a good thing.
And, if you replace the battery, and it still has issues, replace the Voltage Regulator or Magneto. I say OR cause either could be bad, and its hard to really check them.

My $o.02
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

2003 Vento Zip R3i TurboCam
50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Check out the new group for the Mountain Area!
http://www.scootdawg.net/group.php?groupid=4
Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

they gave me a cheap battery when I bought it so I guess i'll have to get one

Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

If it blew the fuse you may have a bad voltage regulator also called rectifier . NEVER by pass a fuse except when troubleshooting . A fuse it much cheaper than replacing fried parts . Did you use tap or distilled water ? Yes there is a diff as tap has chlorine , fluoride and other chemicals where distilled is pure water . Electrical stuff wears out just like mechanical parts do . Brand new copper wires are a pretty golden color but old wires can get blackened since they get full of tiny holes from resistance . You should only hook up a charger to a cool battery so it will hold the charge better that one that is warm from use . Once it looses its zep and ability to get charged and hold it you need a new one . If you can find a battery that has a few more amps and fits you should be good . I always replace car batteries a step or two of what the manufacturer suggests