Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

600 mile service cost update

My cost for my 155cc Yamaha Smax 600 mile service was $ 146.00.
I had already done the oil,transmission change myself & I cleaned the filters.
I had a 15% discount coupon so the final cost was $112.50.
I'm ok with this.
I will be buying a service manual & will be doing most service myself until I fell I need to let them do something to it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

That's not too bad. What is their hourly rate in case something comes up later?
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

F.Y.I. I found a brand new service manual on Amazon for a MUCH better price than buying it at the Dealer. Check around! Irish
P.S. It's exactly the same manual!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
That's not too bad. What is their hourly rate in case something comes up later?
On the bill it says 1.5 hours
Shop supplies. $9.00
Environmental charge $1.00
Total bill. $146.00
$136.00
So labor cost was $90.66 per hr
When you look at it that it seems high ,but you got pay for all those employees at the dealership.. I think this dealership has at least 20 employees.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
F.Y.I. I found a brand new service manual on Amazon for a MUCH better price than buying it at the Dealer. Check around! Irish
P.S. It's exactly the same manual!
I found the manual you or someone share a link to . Cost $79.00 + shipping
Will be ordering soon. It pay for itself in less than a hour.

The link to was shared by Cheapeto . Thank you for the link to where I can buy the Service Manual for my Yamaha Scoot.
The link for Yamaha service manuals is :http://www.yamahapubs.com

Last edited by Modene; 08-30-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #6

Thats not bad.
Be careful of the Ebay manuals, my first one I got CHEAPER, was a photocopied manual, and the pics sucked in it.
It was much cheaper then the original, but very difficult to see properly.
Once I got an original, all is good.
I gave the copied one to the guy that bought my first BR. He was a well to do guy that will only use the shops anyway, but liked the idea he was getting something extra.
When I leave the state on my BR, my service manual goes to.
There was a beautiful Smax, at the Mods & Rocker show down in Dundalk on Saturday. Many other stunning rides, as well also.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #7

Yeah, $90.00 is pretty much standard for name brand shops. sometimes it's a little less, and other times a good bit more. Did they need to adjust the valves?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraptor View Post
Yeah, $90.00 is pretty much standard for name brand shops. sometimes it's a little less, and other times a good bit more. Did they need to adjust the valves?
I don't think so are the cost would of been more. They told me that cost before they even did anything. Heck they might of done very little????????

I should of saved my money !!! And waited until 2000-5000 miles before I took it in for them to look at.

I can do most of the service work myself. Live & Learn!
Old 08-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #9

Thumbs Up

If the valves are adjusted by nut and screw, then it wouldn't have cost any more to adjust them. If they are adjusted by shims, then there may have been an extra part charge. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find if they use shims or not. I wouldn't feel too bad about letting them do the first servicing on it, since it's still being broken in. If they are a good shop, they will check things in the first servicing that you might not even be aware of. Now that it's all good, enjoy the ride..
Oh, and while you may think the price is kind of a rip, if you were riding a $700.00 scoot, then I would agree with you. In the case of a higher end, and higher priced scoot like the smax, it kind of goes with the territory..
Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #10

Doh!

What makes me wonder is I took the scooter in on late Friday afternoon so it would be cooled down for them to work on Saturday morning,then I called 3:00pm Saturday afternoon still not done or had they even started ? Then at 4:00 they called & said its ready . So makes me wonder did they do anything or just a little bit of what was scheduled to do. Or did they rush & do it all in less than a hour. HUM
Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #11

Yeah, that kind of turn around kind of makes you wonder, though shops charge the rate that the book tells them, based on an average time to do the job. The book says 1 1/2 hours, so that is the charge, even though they may have had two guys working it, one on the fluid changes, while the other removes the plastics and accesses the valves. If they've done a few of these, it may only have taken them 45 min or so to complete, and just a few minutes to get it buttoned back up while they called you. Anyhow, if it's up and running well, you've done all that you can do. Ride, enjoy, read through the manual. Prep for the next do-it-yourself service.. Then you will KNOW that it was done right..
Old 09-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #12

What I used to do was to make out a work order on each bike that I worked on. When a bike came into my shop , I could usually tell if it had ,been worked on before. I would get out the OLD work orders & on some things if they had already been done , why charge the customer again? I kept all of the work orders in a folder & all I had to do was check by S/N & engine #. Of course a biker looks at problems that might occur & most shops are looking only to make money! It might sound like I'm ragging on shops here-I AM. there's a BIG difference between a shop that's not run by a rider! I was fixing something wrong( in a shop) & the owner chewed me out for doing something that wasn't on the work sheet! I figured-If it's wrong-Fix It. With my shop , I called the owner & asked if they wanted it fixed. Irish
Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

Nothing better than honesty. I wouldn't mind paying more if I knew all the right things were checked/ serviced/ fixed. How do you know if they do what they say they did ??? I've ordered a service manual so will be doing most of all service . I might let them look at it again at 5000- 7000 miles.