Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Question Aftermarket question?

Hey,

This question for you aftermarket gurus and I'm sure this has been covered a million times so I'm blaming this on being a newbi but are those cdi and coil kits on eBay actually improve performance or do I need to get like a intake and jet kit to get any decent gains and if you all have any suggestions on brands or makes please let me know, I'm a bigger dude and the gy6 150cc I'm afraid is not going to cut itlol

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 AM   #2

Maybe you might clarify "cut it" so that we know what you are trying to achieve with this scooter. Also how does it perform now?
Old 06-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Well the scooter runs fairly well I've noticed to scooter likes to missfire/bog down under full throttle but I just recently cleaned the carbs and replaced the coil and I believe I just need to adjust the air/fuel mixture better, but I'm 220 pounds and want to make sure the little 150cc guys motor will hall my big butt in traffic long enough till my motor cycle gets fixed.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

carbs??

I have not seen a 150cc with multiple carb setup- are you sure it is a 150cc? even the 250cc roketas are single cyl / carb

based on your other info, you might consider re-cleaning the carb and jets, checking the air & fuel filters or replacing them, adjusting the valves, cleaning or replacing the spark plug (make sure you gap it correctly)

fyi.. I am heavier than you and my primary testing scoot is an '09 63cc PS model 803 that I have a gps verified level speed of 38mph and downhill @ 45mph (latest figures). considering you have a 150cc, it should easily haul you at 45 - 55 level road

IF you get it running the best it can, and still don't get the speeds I suggest, check the CVT
Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

I meant carb I'm currently working on my Katana and say carbs out of habbit but yea I'm going to repull the carb and prolly drill out the main jet and replace the spark plug and then adjust the valves because I bought this scooter 2nd hand and don't know the maintence history but I defenitly got to get the top end speed higher

Old 06-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

Bogging under load is usually caused by insufficient airflow. I'd start with an open element air filter and a110-115 main jet

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

Stock, that bike should pull you along at 50mph easy.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

RED spring clutch

Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #8

Well its far from pulling 50mph, and i took off the box and added a little off name brand cone filter and still the exact same as far as perfomance so im proably going to order a style of cone filter that comes right off the carb, i noticed when cleaning it the float seems like it real still, usually with the float i dealt with you can push down on the float and it would slowly go back up in the "middle" position and this 1 dont, it seems like its pusshed all the way down and wont come back up unless pulled.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #9

Im proably going to drill out my main jet starting with the next size up from stock and stoping when it performs as needed and if i mess it up ill just order another 1 till i get it right lol, and were do you all usually get your aftermarket parts, i saw the cdi and kits on ebay and they are priced cheap but usually you get what you pay for or is those ebay parts on the level?
Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #10

From my experience and testing, stock engines have carb jetting that is pretty darn close. Many times it just needs cleaned thoroughly. In stock air boxes, there is an air flow restriction, when you remove that the scoot needs more fuel. I have had to rejet a carb only with a corresponding increase in engine size, but no other reason.

I do not buy, recommend or sell so called "performance CDI or coils" as testing shows they accomplish nothing. A stock CDI and coil can fire the plug properly with a gap that is as large as 0.050".

As to where to buy parts; here on the forum you have John Dikov of valley scooter parts, he has decent parts and inventory. I also buy some parts from another tuner that posts on CL in Atlanta as he has good parts, decent pricing and offers "kits" for custom such as tuning a CVT.

Some people swear by scrappy dog scooters, but my experience with them is far less than acceptable so I neither use them or recommend them. Also I have caught them in lies too many times, so trust is not there.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Alright that's some good info what would you all suggest for a site to order good parts from
Old 06-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

As a perfectionist, I am a "prick" to whom I trust for parts as I warranty what I sell or install, many don't.

As I said in # 10 John Dikov is good on some parts. I purchase 72cc jug/piston kits from him, his stock variators are ok, but not great. I may start buying stock heads from him. He is mostly an importer / seller, not a repair guy.
http://valleyscooterparts.com/

John @ tested scooter parts is a both a seller and a repairer and is easy to talk with as well as buy from. Unfortunately his inventory appears to be on an as needed basis. his main site is:
http://www.testedscooterparts.com/

There is a guy out of NC, but he is a pain to deal with, does not respond to emails or calls. But does have decent pricing and good quality. Ships in his own sweet time, so you might have to wait.

The guy I rely on the most as I said is a scooter tuner that posts on CL in Atlanta. He buys the best quality I've seen and in quantities and passes the savings on. He also makes up starter kits of certain things like CVT (gates belt, several GS roller weight sets, clutch springs, and torque / contra springs) at a decent price. Once I had my first kit and tuned it in, now I just order fill in from him as I use it.

As to your other posting, main jet sizes: Those #s are supposed to represent a metric size determination, but I have checked many new and old jets and found it to be NOT uniform. I just make sure the stock jets are clean, then test it (both 5 gas & road). If I find either needs adjusted I wire drill in 0.001" max incrementation, then retest.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #13

I disagee that the orange CDIs do nothing, as that is untrue, they are "advanced", giving you better mid and high rpm acceleration. The orange coils indeed do nothing.

I always do the cvt first, as that's where you get the most gains.

I have seen many "hunter" gy6 150 with the bogging, usually you'll find a 104 jet in those, which while okay before breakin is finished is too small afterwards. Plus that airbox under the seat is restrictive garbage.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

RED spring clutch

Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 AM   #14

Here is my currrent set-up, which will pull my 210lbs butt up a 10° hill at gps verified 54mph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11233600_10154188754293881_1187639268834024268_o.jpg (94.4 KB, 6 views)

4T 150cc 157 qmj

RED spring clutch

Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Blue. I am open to counter information that can be independently confirmed. I have tested 3 CDIs (stock, blue, orange) just as the Admin (Brent) @ 49cc scoot did. My findings matched his in independent testing. I have not tested one of the adjustable that you currently have installed on your scooter.

Perhaps you could perform the same testing as Brent & I on both the orange one you say performs better and the adjustable and share your results.

For those that want to read the testing and method, here is a link to the page it is on (post #13):

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/threa...grades?page=10