Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #16

Hey bull,

Were did the cdi's in graph come from, I'm currently looking for a decent after market cdi even tho I keep hearing conflicting theories on they work they don't work I believe I need to go ahead and get 1 and I wouldn't mind a tuneable 1 but I need to learn how to tune them and basics about them first and thanks guys for your alls help in this matter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #17

If you read that post I linked to, you will see that Brent purchased his from Scrappy Dog Scooters. I purchased the ones I tested from the guy I told you was hard to deal with. Both of us only tested the stock, blue and orange. So two different sources.

I know of 3 other CDIs, the tunable which Blueboy has, a gold colored, and one by NCY. I have not tested any of those. There may be a 4th that Blueboy talks about in his signature or it could be the gold.

PLEASE read Brent's testing. Heck, read his complete thread, it is a treasure trove of information on scooters, tuning, testing procedures, and more. He should charge people for that info!!!

A simple 2 degree BTDC mechanical advance does wonders w/o cost. Also please note that those huge advances upfront can and will cause hard cranking.

CDI functions have been covered in many youtube videos, but take the time to think about what they are NOT telling you in those videos.

Anything beyond this, you are probably getting too advanced and many users of the forum will most likely get very confused. The weaknesses in the scooter CDI is linear timing and coil saturation time.