Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

I give up

The universe does not want me to ride my scooter. This has been a three year ordeal that has ended up with nothing. I thought I got off easy with a 400 dollar used scooter but ended up with nothing but heartache. I have paid at least three times in parts and repair than what I paid originally for this scooter, not to mention the fees I will have to pay for title, registration, insurance, motorcycle classes. I have replaced virtually every single part on this thing except for the chassis, wheels, brakes, engine, and electronics. I just don't recommend chinese bikes to anyone. This has been a nightmare.

Sorry guys, just wanted to vent. It's been fun learning a ton from you guys, and for the summer I was able to ride my scooter it was a blast. But I'm going to cut my losses and toss my scooter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #2

Hi
I'm sorry to hear that as many of us have great fun with are Chinese scoots
My tao tao is my third one i had a puma and a redstreak and though my aprilia is in a class by itself i still do love my others
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

Youll not find any sympathy here about Chinese scooters being junk because we all no better. I wont buy them used for many reasons. The care and setup is so important initially and who knows whats been done properly? That was your mistake. Buy a new one for 500.00 and prep ot right then report back.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Maybe when finances permit, you'll be able to get a new scoot and see that they really aren't that bad. The 1st inspection/maintenance is very important, setting the stage for the life of the scoot...

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=66...tion=USA&add=1

Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

i agree with all above comments, sorry you had bad luck

Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be more prepared next time. This has been a harrowing but a learning experience.

Can anyone point me to a good thread about initial prep and maintenance when buying a scoot?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #7

Hi
Here you go
http://www.chinesescooterreference.com/pdi.htm
Take care and rid safely
Yours Hank
Old 05-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #8

When my block cracked in my truck I had to find cheap transportation quickly, and didn't have funds. Found two 50cc Peace scooters the guy wanted 850 for, I told him I had 600, he said come get them.
In less than two weeks I've put over two hundred miles on one and close to 125 on the other (my son rides the lower mileage one), with absolutely no issues from them.
I am watching the videos inuyasha posted in the link above, so that I can get a good idea about care and feeding of my two new pets.
So I can't and won't badmouth even used, but I will state you need to listen to the bikes, push them when you test them out and make certain you are aware of the adage you get what you pay for.
Only real question I have? Anyone have a recommendation on a tool setup for these buggers? I expect to get a lot of use out of them, but I am also aware that means I have to be willing to do the maintenance, and wanted some insight into the proper equipment.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benluby View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on a tool setup for these buggers?
The usual assortment of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers and allen keys. Plus, and this is a biggy, an electric impact gun. Harbor Freight sells them for a reasonable price. I can't tell you how many hours having one saved me.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #10

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I find it is much better to always buy a scooter brand new. There is less maintenance that way. Save up if you have to, but it will be better that way.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #11

Don't dispair too much, many of us have been right where you've been. At times the frustration level was enough to make you throw things. However after years (in my case) of remodeling, rebuilding (even to the point of designing and making parts from bar stock steel) and upgrading. you eventually start to know your way around. just consider this a dry run for the next time, as scooting to too much fun to give up.

You might want to check here for manuals.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Taiwan...+repair+manual

http://www.amazon.com/Scooters-Autom...+repair+manual
Old 05-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #12

Ah yes. It's a time honored tradition for scooter owners who do their own work or at least try to, for them to have repeated episodes of abject consternation resulting in spilling of oil, knuckle busting, cursing and tool throwing. (which usually breaks something else and compounds the madness.) Take heart and don't loose faith in yourself or your pathetic and uncooperative 2 wheel conveyance. It builds character. And eventually what would have normally had you stabbing at stuff madly with a screwdriver will only cause you to take pause, take a break and to return to the task later fresh and free of vein popping rage. As the saying goes: "been there, done that and got the T-shirt to prove it"

I'm currently experiencing an episode of frustration inducing intransigence with a scooter I am attempting to get repaired in time for a buyer. Steaming out coolant from exhaust along with coolant getting into crankcase. Figured it was a cracked or warped head or a blown head gasket was the cause. BUT!, swapped out with a known good engine except for the carb and the problem persists even with the alternate engine. 4 stroke water cooled engine BTW and coolant gets to and from the carb to heat it via small hoses so the carb has a self contained water jacket. So maybe the water jacket is compromised and dumping coolant down the intake.... which still makes it difficult to explain the coolant getting into the crank case...unless some is getting past the valves (but of course; it was blowing steam right?) and in the exhaust system there is venting into the crankcase to capture unburned gasses that get purged and recycled to the air intake system so maybe it is getting in that way? Well then, time to try swapping out the carb too. That should be the fix. If not then I've not a clue and no, I don't think it is coincidence and that both engines just happen to have the same problem at the same time. I believe it is a problem with the carb from the original engine. If that is not the problem then I'll need to find another solution. But I'll not tear my hair out doing that. (don't have too much on top of my head now as it is.) I'll get through it as you and others will too. It takes a clear, calm and level head to get through difficulties. Screaming and generally loosing control of ones self makes getting things to go in your favor all the more difficult.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

I've been there before. I bought a used scooter because I trusted the person that it was in as good of shape as they said it was. I was wrong....
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

I bought a Honda Big Ruckus at a phenomenal price several years ago after the seller claimed it only needed a carb cleaning because it hadn't run in a couple of years. Guess what. It hadn't been run because it was in a flood and every bearing in it was corroded. After a great deal of time, effort and cash it was disposed of. Chinese scooters aren't the only Lemons out there.
In defense of used scooters though, my 2009 Fashion has been a model of good behavior. It suffered a known problem unrelated to prior abuse but has been a trusted friend for two years now.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
I believe it is a problem with the carb from the original engine. If that is not the problem then I'll need to find another solution. But I'll not tear my hair out doing that. (don't have too much on top of my head now as it is.) I'll get through it as you and others will too. It takes a clear, calm and level head to get through difficulties. Screaming and generally loosing control of ones self makes getting things to go in your favor all the more difficult.
Another solution is what was needed and indeed that was discovered during the process of removing one carburetor to replace it with a known "good carb". The problem was not with the carburetor itself per se, but rather the hoses than project from the carb like the snake hair of Medusa. Small diameter hoses that run to and from the carb that carry engine coolant to heat the carb had been swapped around with some of the air/vacuum hoses by the previous owner. Getting everything properly routed solved the major part of the problem. The minor part of the problem was the need for gaskets that fit around the air filter. Without the gaskets, excess air can enter the carb making it run too lean. That will get fixed as soon as the new gaskets arrive in the mail.

Sometimes it's like Occam's Razor. Occam's Razor is a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct. During the early part of my problem solving, I had posited the idea of switched around hoses. I even looked, but not thoroughly enough. It was difficult to see EXACTLY where things were routed and I made the mistake then of assuming everything was as it should be. So I continued on a wild goose chase until the proper diagnosis eventually was discovered.

I guess the lesson learned for me was to follow up THOROUGHLY on initial impressions. I could have saved myself the frustration, head scratching and needless knuckle busting wrench work. Problem solvers take note.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me