Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion
View Poll Results: Do you do the work on your scoot, or someone else?
Yes, I do ALL the work 45 68.18%
I do MOST of the work 17 25.76%
I ALWAYS bring it somewhere 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #16

I do over 90 percent of the work myself, my girl(ex now) did the other 10 percent and that was pretty cool. It was mostly minor mods and not repairs, mostly... If the engine ever pooped out, I would def need some help from a shop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #17

I see my mechanic every morning bright and early....In the bathroom mirror
When I started out (after taking off the tupperware) it looked like a hopeless mass of wires and tubes, now I can fix or modify it in my sleep.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #18

I just realized I answered wrong. My scooter doesn't break down...

I do my own maintenance.

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #19

Lol ^
|

I try to do all work needed or mods my self, With the exception of this 1 scoot i've been buggering people for help on here
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #20

I do all my own work, only thing I go to shop for is mount and balance my tires, but I take them off too. someday soon I want to be able to do this also. All the work I've done on mine scoot, if I took to a shop it be a huffy cost to be. It is good to become one with your bike, with some experience only you will know what wrong, alot of shop when looking for a problem are just guessing.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #21

I do all the basic stuff.
If it gets too complex, or i don't know how to solve something,I'll either bring in the bike, or sell it.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootnwinn View Post
The only thing I don't do is mount and balance tires. I do remove them from the bike and reinstall but not the actual mounting...

Me 3. (50cc was #2 )

My first 2 scooters (scooters like most of us have/50cc/Gy6) where junk right off the start and always needed 'ANOTHER' problem to justify the $400 price tag.
Now the little 2009 Jonway i have now has been as close to a Honda/Yamaha scooter as i'v seen outside this and most scooter forms.
I do a good PDI twice a year and replace all maintenance items and keep it under a cover all year around.
So far, so good with only a CDI/lights/Battery that had to be replaced and some parts that where replaced by choice.
Yep i got a good deal, got a bit lucky, but now i did pay almost right at $1000 for it back 3 years ago.

Oh ya, the horn works only now and then due to lack of use and when it warms up i'll spray that switch with contact spray.

And Yes, i'm still keeping my eye on that 2012-13 Zuma.

Too bad my eye and my pocket book don't see to well together, or my ass would be riding a Zuma this spring..(Pun intended).. Oh, well.

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t

Last edited by larrball; 03-22-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Have a good weekend
Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #23

Mike.
DO this a poll sticky // no reply/

Nice to have as a post/info, but a poll overview should be ongoing.

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t

Last edited by larrball; 03-23-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: sorry about the "\" loG day at the O'r fus-us... lol\
Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #24

Everything except paint.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #25

Same here on Maui, true there are some, but the cost is unbelievable! I have done all my own work with the help from you guys...
Old 03-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Wayne

I live here in Westvale (Syracuse West). Where is this Big Al's cycle shop located? I will do most of my own work, but would need tire work and inspections done somewhere else.
I recently bought a 2006 HD Sportster w/ Trike Kit. If it says Harley on it , you can't afford NOT to do your own work! EX: an ashtray might cost $2 , take the same ashtray & put H.D. on it & it will cost (AT LEAST ) $7. Irish
Old 03-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #27

I did all the maintenance and repair work on my in-laws scoots when I lived near them in Florida. I finally got tired of having to go through them every six months because I would get them running and working right, my in-laws would ride them two or three times and park them in the garage until lo and behold! the gas went stale and could I come over and get the scooters working again. After two years of this pattern I just took them home with me and my wife daily rode them and would just haul them up to the in-laws when they wanted to go for a ride. I love and hate carbs for this reason; simple to work on but so sensitive to ethanol laced fuels. Would that I still had the scoots, I would look into a direct injection cylinder head mod.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshankhank View Post
I did all the maintenance and repair work on my in-laws scoots when I lived near them in Florida. I finally got tired of having to go through them every six months because I would get them running and working right, my in-laws would ride them two or three times and park them in the garage until lo and behold! the gas went stale and could I come over and get the scooters working again. After two years of this pattern I just took them home with me and my wife daily rode them and would just haul them up to the in-laws when they wanted to go for a ride. I love and hate carbs for this reason; simple to work on but so sensitive to ethanol laced fuels. Would that I still had the scoots, I would look into a direct injection cylinder head mod.
First let me answer the poll question.....I do all my own work, and feel that if someone can't, or won't, they don't need to own a Chinese scooter.....and might better buy one of the higher priced spreads.

I wanted to share my carb experience with you, big shank. My scoot just turned 3 years old, and I have never taken its carb off to clean it. It just hasn't needed it, starts well, idles well, powers up well, and delivers great mileage. In my area it is in hibenation for 5 months a year.

Here is the thing....I always use non ethanol gas, in fact I drive 13 miles to get it, even though there are probably a dozen gas stations closer...but none with non ethanol. I also add about a half an ounce of MMO at each fillup, (about a gallon).
Seafoam would probably work as well. Before storing for winter, I add some Stabil as insurance. It works for me...3 years, and 5800 miles, and 15 total months of non use, and I haven't had to touch it.......at least not yet.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #29

I'll second the Seafoam. I put it all my stuff before I lay them up for our very long Winter and they all start in the Spring.

Yes, I do my own work on everything except mounting tires. I use to do it, have all the stuff to do it but after watching them do in five minutes what used to take me an hour I let the pros do it now. I pull the wheels off, take them in with the cheap tires I got online and put the wheels back on.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #30

I'll second the Seafoam. I put it all my stuff before I lay them up for our very long Winter and they all start in the Spring.

Yes, I do my own work on everything except mounting tires. I use to do it, have all the stuff to do it but after watching them do in five minutes what used to take me an hour I let the pros do it now. I pull the wheels off, take them in with the cheap tires I got online and put the wheels back on.

I do all my own work, and feel that if someone can't, or won't, they don't need to own a Chinese scooter.....and might better buy one of the higher priced spreads.

Ditto this unless you have a shop or dealer nearby. Then a Bintelli, Wolf or Lance is perfect for you.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.