Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

brake switch

I just rewired some wires that melted and wondering why my brake light stays on.when I take the two wires off the front brake and touch them it starts.when I connect them to the switch it starts without pulling in the lever.these two wires melted up to the switch.are these things a sign of a bad switch.i replaced all the wires

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #2

Yes......if connecting the two wires to the switch, is giving you the same result as connecting the wires directly together.....your switch is cooked.

I've read and re read your post..... you say, "when I take the two wires off the front brake and touch them it starts."....You mean, "it will start, if you push the starter button"... right? You didn't mean that, as soon as you touch the wires together, or to the burned out switch, the starter begins to turn...... Just want to make sure I understand

Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #3

tes it starts with the button when wires are on the switch and when I take them off and touch them it doesn't start unless I press the button.is this why my brake light is on always or is that something else

Old 03-03-2015, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint51 View Post
tes it starts with the button when wires are on the switch and when I take them off and touch them it doesn't start unless I press the button.is this why my brake light is on always or is that something else
I took the switch off and its melted and the metal is contacted giving a constant connection.i guess that's why it starts without pulling in the lever
Old 03-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
I took the switch off and its melted and the metal is contacted giving a constant connection.i guess that's why it starts without pulling in the lever
And why your brake light comes and stays on, when your the ignition is turned on

Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

now that I figured that out I wonder why when I put my left blinker on the right comes on but the back is normal.i bought a new flasher but I don't know if that's the problem
Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 AM   #7

If the rear signals are working correctly, and the front ones are reversed, it sounds like you have front signal connections crossed up.... Or is it just one of the front signals that is screwed up, and the other is working fine?

A multimeter is a big help when working with wiring/electrical problems. I recently bought a new one at Harbor Freight, for like 7 or 8 dollars....well worth the price, when problems like you've been having arise.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

I agree on the multimeter but the blinkers are left green, light blue and the right .green and orange.they are color coated.ill check for a bad socket.i switch the bulbs and same results
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Just unplug the blue from left, and orange from right.....run a jumper wire from each, to the light on the opposite side, or if long enough to reach without a jumper, switch the blue and orange, and see if your problem isn't gone.

The bulbs have nothing to do with it.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

I fixed the problem even though I feel stupid.a few weeks ago I bought a front plastic piece and had to put the blinkers on the new plastic.well obviously I put them on wrong and I just switched them and every thing is good again.i thought it was part of my melting wires causing it.i knew it was simple but was so aggravated cause I couldn't figure some thing so simple.i walked away for a day and cleared my head and figured it out.thanks for all the replys and suggestions.its no wonder every one said you got some thing wrong with your wiring
Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I fixed the problem even though I feel stupid.a few weeks ago I bought a front plastic piece and had to put the blinkers on the new plastic.well obviously I put them on wrong and I just switched them and every thing is good again.i thought it was part of my melting wires causing it.i knew it was simple but was so aggravated cause I couldn't figure some thing so simple.i walked away for a day and cleared my head and figured it out.thanks for all the replys and suggestions.its no wonder every one said you got some thing wrong with your wiring
one more thing.for months when I turn my blinker to the right it blinks but you have to hold it.is that the blinker or switch.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #12

Switch

Old 03-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #13

thanks rks
Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #14

Glad you are getting things sorted out.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #15

me too thanks,electrical can be a real pain