Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #1

2017 taotao won't crank

Battery is charged when I turn key on no lights or power of any kind. Will kick start then die. I'm just a girl. Please help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #2

Did this scooter ever run correctly....or is it brand new? You sure all battery connections are proper, and the inline fuse is in place?

I could ask a thousand more questions....would be helpful if you offered up a little more info about your scoot, and exactly what's been done to it.

If I sound a bit gruff....sorry. But, "I'm just an old man".

Old 06-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #3

I agree with rks. Did it run fine before. Was the problem sudden or did it creep in? What has been done. What has been neglected. Its a blind guess with a little bit of info. Give us more detailed info and you should get more detailed answers. And yes, Im old too!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

Warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri1972 View Post
Battery is charged when I turn key on no lights or power of any kind. Will kick start then die. I'm just a girl. Please help.
If it is a 2017 then it should be under warranty. Take it to the dealer you purchased it from.

That it actually starts when kicked is a valuable clue eliminating many things. The failure of the lights etc is a separate problem. The failure to continue running could be simply a vacuum line off (choke) which a new Tao Tao could have or it could be a fuel problem. A complete visual inspection is in order. Look for disconnected lines or electrical connections which are things common in a new Chinese scooter due to extreme production quotas. The lines/connectors get slapped on and shake loose during shipping.

Last edited by Ozo; 06-07-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks

Battery not grounded. My boyfriends an idiot. Starts fine. Thanks scootdoggers and rks.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

"My boyfriends an idiot."

There's a lot to think about there.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

2015 tao tao cuts out at half throttle

Gas was full of water drained gas replaced same thing friend took off carb and cleaned it supposedly gas looks clean now however, same results. Please help I'm just a girl.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #8

Water in the gas will mess up the fuel filter along with causing lots of other things. Clean the system of all water, change the filter, get clean fresh fuel, keep the tank one the scooter locked. Gas containing ethanol absorbs water then it settles out if it gets old. So ... try to find 100% and you'll avoid a lot of fuel problems with small engines.
Just a girl? So what?, learn to fix ur scooter if ur gonna ride it, you can do it.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #9

Roscoe, that made me laugh! Just a girl, learn to fix it! My wife is a bit older than me and she knows enough to trouble shoot and repair most scooter problems. She has helped build numerous big bore kits, crank upgrades, electrical gremlins, crash damage and other "manly" stuff. She does hate working in the garage when its crazy hot outside, so we wait till nighttime. Now, Terri, if you got water in the fuel system you have to get ALL of it out. I have used that water out stuff before with decent results. Also, make sure all the hoses and wires are attached back to the carb after it was removed. Thinking it's something silly/minor causing your problem.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #10

Belt broke

I have new belt to put on how do I release the tension to fit new belt on? Please help!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #11