Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #1

Ram Air Intake

So i have a a Tao Tao 50cc. I noticed on the sides of the seat is little grills that let air in. On cools the coil it seems the other is a vaccant space. In auto i have had success with real ram air intakes. Like removing a headligh and replacing it with a stack and filter. Cant be tested on most dynos because it only shows itself when at full speed. So i will be taking that idea and applying.it here.. Looked around ive seen some that use filters instead of.the box located in an air path...but mine will be a ram air with an inline filter...ill post pics and thoughts shoot them my way.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

You might lower your intake air temperature a few degrees...which is always a good thing...but I don't think a 50cc is going fast enough to achieve a real ram air gain...but what the hey....go for it....and keep us posted.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Will do im using a vaccum cleaner hose so since its spiraled maybe ill get a cool vortex effect lol

Old 10-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

dont waste your time. the best performance you can get from the carb will be with a proper size velocity stack and proper jetting. and if it is a CV carb you will need to ensure the diaphragm is getting some vacuum signal(as it does in the stock airbox) or you will see some funky rich areas in the mid-range.....

as for the Ram-air effect, .... proper Ram air will generate a slightly more positive inlet pressure that over comes the vacuum of the engine. This is VERY difficult to achieve at 40-50mph...and would require a ridiculous funnel-like apparatus to increase the intake velocity enough. That "funnel" would have to be so big it would create more wind resistance than the power needed to overcome it. Basic physics. AND furthermore the carburetor (assuming you were able to achieve positive pressure) would not function properly....as the venturi effect would be disrupted enough to hamper fuel delivery.

I own a dyno..
I am a professional Tuner by trade..
and I understand physics...

Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

Yeah it was an idea prior to proper research i found a great article on it with lots of facts and math to prove it usless at these speeds and small engine