Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 01-16-2016, 04:33 AM   #1

Carb Pilot Jet Sourcing Info Sought

Attempting to find a reliable US source for pilot / idle jets for the 50cc carbs for tuning for cold and hot weather. Would like to buy an assortment to start with, then focus on the ones that are really needed for my locale.

Don't want to buy direct from China, but the best price located currently is from Parts for Scooters. They of course are retail and expect to sell single jets to an individual, not an assortment or multiples of the same sizes to a tuner. link below:

http://www.partsforscooters.com/114-...ategory=138722

Anyone have an ideas as to where I can source what I need?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #2

I used http://jetsrus.com/ when I re-jetted the Big Ruckus.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Do you know anyone with a machine shop? When in NH , I used to drill jets out to the size that I wanted at my friends machine shop. Of course that only works if you know the size that you need. It wouldn't give you an assortment! Irish

Old 01-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

Thanks Cheapato, but that doesn't help with the assortment I need to custom tune based on locale and temperatures.

I might have to order a couple of each size and make my own assortment. then buy quantities of the more used ones.

Irish, I have considered that idea but getting drills long enough in the correct increments might be almost as difficult sourcing. As what would be needed would be drills from 81 to 104 for pilots and for the mains numbers 50 to 80.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

"I might have to order a couple of each size and make my own assortment. then buy quantities of the more used ones."

That's what I did for one of the bikes listed in my signature. It has two, Keihin, 32mm carbs....Ordered 3 different size main jets, and 2 sizes of pilots...10 in all, made by EBC (the brake people). Won't know til spring which ones will work the best.

Last edited by rks; 01-20-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Addition to signature required a change in wording
Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #6

Found somewhat of a unique solution that also offers the opportunity to learn some more important info about these carbs as well as even a profit opportunity.

I placed an ad on CL locally soliciting to buy old carbs. Had two "shop owners" take me upon it. I bought about 50 used carbs for 50cc and 150cc. Even had a couple Mukunis in the mix as well as a 250cc carb.

I have gone through all but two of them, cleaning, testing, measuring. I've fitted two of them with different jetting to scooters and confirmed their performance post rebuild in every aspect from cold starting to hard running. Very interesting stuff!

Heck I might write a small report with what I have learned and give it away, what do you think?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #7

I'm interested in your findings. That was a great idea on the carb buying.

John
Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

Good to see you, John. How is business?

Here is one thing I have confirmed, main jet sizes stamped on the jets, can NOT be trusted. They must be measured to properly tune. Here are a couple examples of what I discovered.

1.. Two main jets from the sealed carbs, one stamped 76 and the other 84, measured as .032". How can that be?

2.. Cleaning jets by spraying cleaner through them, then blowing them out is NOT good enough, deposits still remain in the jets which restrict fuel delivery and atomization. Performance problems will remain with partially clogged jets.

As you know some BBK suppliers send out main jets with the 100 BBK, most send out a jet stamped 90 or 95. With the numbers being misleading at best, how much harm is the buyer causing to their new upgrade from either a too rich or too lean of a setup WITHOUT measuring and custom tuning?

I am writing a report, but I have a dilemma. Should I make it available to anyone or to tuners / repair shops only?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:49 AM   #9

I'm doing well my business is good, if I relied on it to eat. I would have died from starvation.
I understand, keep in mind most shops will not touch the chinese engines. You might as well let the info out.

I sold someone a pilot jet and they told me it was misstamped. I have not sold the remainder of the jets from that vendor. I have a nice assortment of main jets and several pilot jets.

John