Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

My First Good Look At A Linhai Mainstreet 260

I was going into Walmart here in Palm Springs when my gaze fell upon a scooter (always of interest) it was a large machine with Arizona tags (at first I thought it might be a Majesty) but after looking it over I saw it was a Linhai Mainstreet 260 (not the Aeolus model) so naturally my curiosity was piqued, and I proceeded, with my powerful bike headlight (I was on the other kind of two wheels) to do a very close examination of the vehicle, and to be honest the built quality (imho) was right up there with the Japanese stuff. What a beautiful machine! With what appeared to be stainless bolts in the rear wheel area and very well made body panels of thick plastic, massive handlebar mountings, even the cooling fan had a stainless steel mesh shroud around it. from what I saw after about a half hour convinces me that Linhai has got to be the best Chinese scooter manufacturer out there.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by spandi; 03-08-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #2

It could be it is a fine machine but it's all about how the rubber meets the road in the end isn't it? I would like to ride one for myself someday...

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #3

If I remember correctly they're are only making the 400 model now. (I guess they want to move into the higher end of the market)

Old 02-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #4

They're good machines. A lot of sales people call them the best Chinese scoots.
Korean Quality.
The aeolus also started out as a 250cc (200 before that?), and now in a 300!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

If you check the website they're either selling 200cc models or the big 400cc touring scooters (looks like they're following the Honda product lineup.)

Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

Spandi, I have a 300cc Linhai Mainstreet and it is every bit as good a bike as my Majesty. Yamaha owns as much of the Linhai factory as they will allow and I have very pleased with mine. The one important thing that you must do if you buy one is to swap out all the liquids with new Yamaha or USA stuff. I don't think the Chinese brake fluid, antifreeze, or engine and rear gear oils are very good. I did all that and have had no problems at all with my Mainstreet.
Tom
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkid View Post
Spandi, I have a 300cc Linhai Mainstreet and it is every bit as good a bike as my Majesty. Yamaha owns as much of the Linhai factory as they will allow and I have very pleased with mine. The one important thing that you must do if you buy one is to swap out all the liquids with new Yamaha or USA stuff. I don't think the Chinese brake fluid, antifreeze, or engine and rear gear oils are very good. I did all that and have had no problems at all with my Mainstreet.
Tom
Yep. I finally talked to the owner of the 260 and he was having overheating issues with it. ( I told him about my larger Spal fan modification) yet they still insist on putting in what I consider an underpowered 5 inch fan. (which in the southwest desert don't cut it.)
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

Smile

I bought a 2009 Linhai Aeolus 260 last year and so far am very happy with it. Just purchased a rear rack for it also.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

Linhai only makes the motors and CVT I believe?
It's the companies like BMS, Aeolus, etc.. that coat it with the bike.
My BMS 260 (with Linhai 257cc) engine was solid, but the bike literally rumbled apart after 2k miles, and was too complex.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Prodigit, your info does not agree with mine. Linhai does make a lot of engines, because Yamaha helped start the factory to make engines for them, but all their engines have Linhai molded into the cases in several places. Also other parts of the bikes. It is a great engine and that is why it widely copied. My Mainstreet 300 sounds almost my my Majesty but the Majesty engine is not made by Linhai, however they do supply engines for generators, etc.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

Is it true that with this kind of scooter you'd have to be fairly good at taking care of any routine or emergency maintenance issues that come up? Are parts hard to get or something?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #12

It's like any other Chinese machine in the respect that many shops will not work on it. Linhai is a cut above most Chinese manufacturers but bike shops don't care much. I understand parts are readily available and some are even available from any Yamaha dealer.

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkid View Post
Prodigit, your info does not agree with mine. Linhai does make a lot of engines, because Yamaha helped start the factory to make engines for them, but all their engines have Linhai molded into the cases in several places. Also other parts of the bikes. It is a great engine and that is why it widely copied. My Mainstreet 300 sounds almost my my Majesty but the Majesty engine is not made by Linhai, however they do supply engines for generators, etc.
That is actually what I said, that Linhai makes the engines (and CVT's I presume),
The bike people call a 'Linhai', but it's actually an 'Aeolus', not a Linhai.
If it where a Linhai, then my BMS TBX 260 would also be a Linhai, because both bikes share the same engine.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #14

Aeolus is made by Linhai. But a lot of people refer to any Yamaha cloned engine (regardless of manufacturer) as a "Linhai"
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #15

I rode a Aeolus 260 all last year. Pretty nice bike. Much sportier than the Fashion I rode the year before. Ahh, one of the perks of owning a scooter shop. Trying to decide on this years ride. It's a toss up between a SYM Wolf Classic and the SYM RV200. ( Sold the 260 yesterday to a nice girl. This is her 1st scooter)

"Pittsburgh's Premier Scooter Dealer"