Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Oil gushes from dipstick tube —first ride after winter

Hey all!

I'm new! : )

So, I have a Kymco Agility 125. It sat for the last 6 months over the winter, outside.

I didn't do such a good job this year about starting it, etc.

Rode it for the first time today; very short ride to go get gas, maybe 10 minutes, just enough for eveything to barely get hot.

I get back and park the bike, decide to check the oil.

As soon as I open the dipstick, oil comes rushing out — GUSHING— seems like under pressure, spurting.

So — is this normal? Was I stupid to open the dipstick right after riding like that?

Should be be concerned? Obviously I'll need to add some oil back but wanted to know what I was looking at!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by dtomasch; 04-01-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add Subscription
Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #2

1) The engine wasn't running when you removed the dipstick was it? (asked just for clarification)

After sitting for so long, you probably should have checked the oil level, coolant level, brake fluid level and air pressure in the tires BEFORE you rode it for the first time this year. Consider this a reminder to do that next time after it has been sitting long term.

2) Is it possible that you overfilled it with oil the last time you added oil?

Oil level is checked by having the bike on its center stand on level ground and by just inserting the dipstick to check the oil level. You do NOT screw it in when checking.

3) What did the oil coming out look like?
Did it smell unusual? Can you describe the smell?
Did your bike seem to run a bit sluggishly?

Edit: I see that the Agility 125 is air cooled
XXXXXXDid it look it might have had coolant mixed in? (like coffee with a little cream in it?)XXXXXXX
XXXXXXor was it just dark and runny?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXDid you notice any white smoke coming out of the tail pipe? XXXXXXXXXXX
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Thanks for your response.

1. No, the engine was turned off but it was RIGHT after I rode.

Yes, thank you for the friendly reminder : ) I really need to take it to the shop for a check-over, as I can screw and unscrew things real good but that's about the extent of my scooter-mechanicism.

2. Yes, it's possible. It would have been several months ago and I wouldn't put it past me.

3. It was dusk when this happened, but it sure looked super dark; def not "creamy" as far as I could tell.

Bike ran great, not sluggish at all.

No smoke on tailpipe —little smoke when the oil came out and touched something hot but not otherwise that I could tell.

There was an odd smell — which is why I started to poke around and thought "I should check the oil" in the first place.

Uh — what did it smell like? I guess kind of like a burnt toast smell? Except more "oily"? But I'm not totally sure.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #4

Well it sounds like you just had over filled it with oil then.... Good that there was not a gasoline smell to the oil.

Not sure how the air plumbing and all works on your scoot, but if it was overfilled with oil and there is crankcase ventilation that gets redirected to the air box where the air filter is (if your scoot has that sort of arrangement) then its is possible for the air filter to get saturated with oil and maybe even have oil come out of a drain on the air box or leak from the crankcase venting somewhere and drip on the hot engine making it give off an odor.

If the crankcase venting was plugged, then it would be possible for pressure to build and then be released and push out oil when you removed the dipstick..... even if you did not overfill it with oil.... An odd scenario, but possible I think.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #5

My friend who is a mechanic thought something like that may be the case, too… thought I don't totally understand all the terms here but I get the general concept.

So —I guess to close up, is there anything I should watch out for?

I'll check the oil level in the am and see that there's still oil in there.

But given this general scenario, what other warning signs should I pay attention to?

And hey, thanks a ton!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Other warning signs to pay attention to?
Loud noises, severe vibration excessive smoke and flames!!!.... Just kidding.... mostly...

It might help if you do a bit of homework and read through this 125-249cc sub forum to see the sort of problems that have come up, diagnostic methods/processes used to pinpoint the problem and the solutions employed to resolve the issues. That should help you understand your scoot a little better so that you will know where to look and what to look for. This will help when you go to do your own repairs/maintenance if you decide to take that on. AND/OR, it will prevent you from being taken advantage of if you take it in for repair at a shop. No new engine exchange if it is only a problem with a carburetor or new ignition system if it only needs a new spark plug. (extreme examples maybe, but you get the picture)
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

Has to be the crankcase ventilation tube....it is plugged, or kinked in some way, and as a result, not allowing the normal pressure created in your engine to vent. If not corrected, you will blow an oil seal, most likely one of the crankshaft seals.

The vent tube runs from the valve cover to the air box, as bandito2 stated. Check it out soon, or you will have much bigger problems.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Has to be the crankcase ventilation tube....it is plugged, or kinked in some way, and as a result, not allowing the normal pressure created in your engine to vent. If not corrected, you will blow an oil seal, most likely one of the crankshaft seals.

The vent tube runs from the valve cover to the air box, as bandito2 stated. Check it out soon, or you will have much bigger problems.
I 2nd this!

check your air filter.

John